Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 16:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Question Flying in Mexico with PFD - CO2 Cartridge in Luggage?

I'm flying from Cabo San Lucas to Tijuana after the Pacific leg of the Baja Ha-Ha. Can I check a bag with my PFD (Spinlock Deckvest) if it contains a C02 cartridge?

(I called Volaris but don't have much confidence in their response.)

Thanks in advance!
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 17:29   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Flying in Mexico with PFD - CO2 Cartridge in Luggage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavison View Post
I'm flying from Cabo San Lucas to Tijuana after the Pacific leg of the Baja Ha-Ha. Can I check a bag with my PFD (Spinlock Deckvest) if it contains a C02 cartridge?

(I called Volaris but don't have much confidence in their response.)

Thanks in advance!
I usually check their Forbidden items page and then print it out so its available to show anyone who asks. Given that Volaris's page says you can pack ammunition, compressed hydrogen and flare guns, I can't see them having and issue with a tiny compressed air cylinder :-) https://cms.webopsvolaris.com/en/tra...ates+_+English
Old 27-08-2018, 19:23   #3

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

I have never had any problem flying in or out from the States, either as check in or carry on luggage.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 20:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If they see them...they will not let you fly on Volaris with them...been there done that.

Checked Baggage is your best bet.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:23   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I have never had any problem flying in or out from the States, either as check in or carry on luggage.
i didnot realize tijuana is part of usa. this is an intermexico flight not international. they allowed a friend to keep his riggers knife during flight from tj to maz. ....
just check the volaris site and check bag. if truly concerned , ship it to yourself at the marina your boat inhabits. dhl works well here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i didnot realize tijuana is part of usa. this is an intermexico flight not international. they allowed a friend to keep his riggers knife during flight from tj to maz.

Correct Zeehag... I live in San Diego, so it’s far cheaper to flight into TJ and walk across the border.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post

I’ve only had problems when security agents don’t know their own laws (including the TSA). I typically bring a printout showing it’s permissible by local law to bring a C02 cartridge.
Old 28-08-2018, 08:24   #8

Recently returned from Mexico. I packed my PFD in my carry-on after removing the CO2 cartridge and didn't have any issues. The only issue I see is, there is no consistency anywhere! Some airports will check you through while others may not.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 08:43   #9

A review of the IATA Restricted Articles Regulations (HAZMAT) (of which Volaris is a member) indicates the following:

"Gas cartridges, small, non-flammable containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a life jacket or vest. Not more than one (1) device per passenger and up to two (2) spare small cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices" are

1 - Permitted in or as carry-on baggage - YES
2 - Permitted in or as checked baggage - YES
3 - The approval of the operator is required - YES
4 - The pilot-in-command must be informed of the location - NO

Get a confirmation in writing from the carrier (their baggage agent) and carry it with you for the trip.
kendalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 11:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I agree with the advice to print whatever documentation you can find (US Sailing has some, TSA, airline) and include it in your luggage. I would also declare the fact that you have an inflatable life jacket and not try to sneak it in your luggage. I have traveled to conferences with four different life jackets in my checked luggage (in the US) without a problem.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:39   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

IATA permits it, and UN regulations mandate (by treaty) that "essential lifesaving equipment" be carried without question. And our US TSA also expressly says that the cartridges should be allowed.

BUT.

At least here in the US, the individual inspector and the airline each have the exclusive right to ban anything they please, no matter who else allows it.

So it goes back to being totally arbitrary.

If someone wants to confiscate a CO2 bottle because, you know, logically a sealed container could just be full of sarin gas? You might want to respectfully point out that there are at least 150 similar cartridges already stowed aboard every aircraft at the terminal, and ask if they shouldn't evacuate the area while those are also removed and checked. Respectfully. Just express your agreement and concern.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:44   #12

i love how all revert to usa mandates. mexico is not usa.
tijuana airport is not in usa.
arbitrary is exact science... they removed toothpaste and let friend keep 3 inch knife
on boarding flight from tj to maz.. why??
mexico. is . not . usa.
Old 28-08-2018, 12:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

American Airlines is or was the only US carrier who prohibited the transport of inflation equipment for PDFs both in carry-on and checked baggage. A friend with a million American miles was traveling out of Italy after a delivery gig. American would not allow carriage of his inflatable PDF cylinders so he FedExed them and they were immediately stolen somewhere between the FedEx office and the airport.

Kendalk's response was good advice, he must have just finished his HAZMAT recurrent. There is no TSA restriction on carrying or checking these items on board a US air carrier. They have never bothered me one. TSA leaves it up to the individual airline. Foreign carriers into and out of foreign destinations are a whole different matter. The can do whatever they want. Or, as we say in Hawaii, “If can, can, if no can, then no can.”
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:18   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

zeehag-
See, with a three inch long knife, you can only stab someone. But with toothpaste? Years ago I had a nice TSA inspector confiscate a plastic sealed package of fine goat cheese. Because, you see, there's no way to tell if it really IS goat cheese, or it might be enough Semtex to blow the aircraft apart.

Coupla years ago a US Senator trying to show how hard it was to live on food stamp money was stopped on his way back to DC, and his jar of peanut butter was confiscated for the same reason. Anything that might be "paste" might be plastic explosive, and there's just no known technology that can tell them apart. Well, unless you stick a detonator into it and it refuses to blow up.

That's what they tell me, and there's no way they would lie, right? Or be grossly misinformed?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:26   #15

there seems to be a slight misconception here.
the flight is from, cabo san lucas mexico to tijuana mexico.
no tsa involved merely mexican security.
tsa is united states.
mexico is still independent of usa. this flight doesnot go to usa. only mexico. intramexico flights are a lil different than usa.
the fact is the security didnot find the knife on his person as he flew from tj to mazatlan, intra mexico flight.
i flew phx to mex df to manzanillo and nothing was checked on me or in my bags. i was prechecked thru as it was bereavement flight.
tsa is tsa--paid to feel ye up by uncle sam. uncle sam doesnot fly mexico.
it is a possibility volaris, which is an airline company, may allow items prohibited by usas tsa who are paid to refuse to allow anything on a plane. this is unknown until one appears before security wishing to board planes.
itis always good to , iff you have checked luggage place unknowns into those and shrinkwrap your checked bags.

Tags
Mexico, pfd