Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 16:44   #61

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Florida to Bahamas - General Provisioning Q's

Thanks Dave. Honeymoon Harbor seems like a pretty cool anchorage, going to check that out.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 17:05   #62

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Thanks Dave. Honeymoon Harbor seems like a pretty cool anchorage, going to check that out.

It's a good day anchorage or if you are very shallow draft. If you draw 4' or more you will have to anchor out over the grass. There is a thin strip of sand that you can place your anchor in for good holding but as soon as you do that one of the day trippers from Miami will anchor in front of you in the grass and drag down on you. You'll see but I always feel safer to be either on the bank side of gun cay or the ocean side of cat depending on the swell situation. We always find the closer we get to florida the further we need to stay away from other boats. Maybe we will see you around, in Staniel now but time to head back that way.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 18:37   #63

Awesome info. Thanks. I draw 5', so that may be out. I am basically just looking for the most remote anchorages from here on out on the rest of my trip around the Berry Islands/Abacos. I have a dog and I do not need any marinas or people around or anything else. The more remote the better, as long as it is a safe anchorage. I'll check out the two areas around Gun/Cat Cay, sounds like a good spot
Old 14-04-2015, 07:46   #64

Dave- great talking to you last night!! you're actually the first person from this forum that i've "met". wish you the best for the rest of your trip. We made it to Chub Cay last night and this morning we moved into the actual marina here for a day of rest and minor work on the boat. The dog was hurting after yesterday's passage. Tomorrow we will be heading to Bird Cay or so, then south to andros and across to Nassau to pick up my girlfriend and mother who are flying in to meet us.
Old 14-04-2015, 09:18   #65

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Dave- great talking to you last night!! you're actually the first person from this forum that i've "met". wish you the best for the rest of your trip. We made it to Chub Cay last night and this morning we moved into the actual marina here for a day of rest and minor work on the boat. The dog was hurting after yesterday's passage. Tomorrow we will be heading to Bird Cay or so, then south to andros and across to Nassau to pick up my girlfriend and mother who are flying in to meet us.

Nice, yeah gotta love AIS, I passed quite a few boats last night, most of them I was just trying to imagIne wether they were sail or power etc. We dropped the anchor this morning by Cat. Your going in the right direction as the Abacos will have a better chance of squalls than points further south as of Thursday or so. Man if your already in Nassau you could take them to the upper Exumas, I know your pressed for time but it's sweet down there.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 03:28   #66

Boat: PSC 37

Quote:
I know we have had a pretty horrible winter in FL.

How to make a Mainer scoff at you . . . .

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 17-04-2015, 09:57   #67

Ha, yeah sorry for people up North. I have sailed in that kind of weather and it is simply not for me. I don't have a pilothouse nor a diesel heater.

I just wanted to point out in this thread that I did buy a paper chartbook from Explorer, and the charts are fantastic, however my Navionics charts on my B&G plotter have been amazing so far. Wonderful. I have them updated with the most recent updates, and have used them during night passages where I couldn't see a thing and they helped tremendously. Just saying.

Tags
Bahamas, florida, provisioning