Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2014, 00:14   #1

Florida sales tax

I will be upgrading the electronics package on board and will be buying everything in Florida and shipping it down to panama in a container that a mate of mine is organising. If all the gear i buy is leaving the country is there a way to avoid paying sales tax in Florida?
or as i am going to order it online is there another state with either no tax or a better sales tax than Florida that would be better to order from?
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:41   #2

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster
Re: Florida sales tax

Are you totally sure you need to pay the tax? Normally here in the US tax is collected for the state it is being shipped to, not the state it is purchased in.

You can order online in the US and avoid sales tax for your state as well, but the online retailer cannot have a location in your state- otherwise you are charged your state sales tax. That is all going to be changing likely, as states don't like this caveat- they want $.
lilbabypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48   #3

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Florida sales tax

You can only avoid the tax if the item is going some place that the supplier does not have a brick and mortor store- and some states are now collecting sales tax for on line sales- per good old uncle sam!
I know in the last few months Amazon has started collecting sales tax in some states but not sure how it is decided they collect against or if they are collecting on all sales.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote

florida, sale

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: