Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 08:08   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ventura, CA
Boat: Tayana 48' CC
Posts: 27
Florida Residents

Morning all

I've heard that there are company's where you can get a Florida address and become a resident even if you don't actually live there.
I can't seem to find the info and I'm sure someone here has done this, any information would be appreciated.


Thank you
Dave and Mary
__________________

__________________
Dave-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 09:56   #2
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: Florida Residents

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle
__________________

__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 15:20   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: big bend florida
Posts: 177
Re: Florida Residents

Address and residency are not the same thing . But yes for most things a mail service will meet " FLORIDA law ". Will that allow you to avoid taxes , liens , registration requirements in other jurisdictions will depend on how honest you are or how bad they want ya !
__________________
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 19:10   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistarckle View Post
Address and residency are not the same thing . But yes for most things a mail service will meet " FLORIDA law ". Will that allow you to avoid taxes , liens , registration requirements in other jurisdictions will depend on how honest you are or how bad they want ya !
If you still have income from other jurisdictions and/or homes, they are likely to claim you as residents as well. There are two parts to a change of residency. One part is gaining residency in the new place. The other part is relinquishing residency in the old location. Rest assured states that have income taxes are very much going to look carefully at those who suddenly claim to be residents of a state without income tax.

When we changed residency to Florida here were some of the steps taken:

Secured home in FL.
Moved furniture and all belongings to FL.
Got Drivers' licenses in FL.
Drove cars to FL.
Registered cars in FL.
Got insurance in FL
Opened bank account in FL
Incorporated business in FL
Got FL lawyer and accountant.

Cleaned NC home out and immediately listed it for sale.
Put boat in NC on market.
Resigned jobs immediately.
Moved all bank accounts, etc.
Put in change of address with post office.
Any future travel to NC stayed in hotel, rented cars.
Airline tickets were all round trip from FL to NC and back to FL.

Now our situation was unique in that we anticipated substantial FL income over a short period of time and so our break had to be clear in order for that to not be taxed in NC. We didn't move because of that but we moved because we wanted to live in FL. However, failing to take all steps and make a clean break could have been a very expensive mistake.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 04:02   #5
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If you still have income from other jurisdictions and/or homes, they are likely to claim you as residents as well. There are two parts to a change of residency. One part is gaining residency in the new place. The other part is relinquishing residency in the old location. Rest assured states that have income taxes are very much going to look carefully at those who suddenly claim to be residents of a state without income tax.

When we changed residency to Florida here were some of the steps taken:

Secured home in FL.
Moved furniture and all belongings to FL.
Got Drivers' licenses in FL.
Drove cars to FL.
Registered cars in FL.
Got insurance in FL
Opened bank account in FL
Incorporated business in FL
Got FL lawyer and accountant.

Cleaned NC home out and immediately listed it for sale.
Put boat in NC on market.
Resigned jobs immediately.
Moved all bank accounts, etc.
Put in change of address with post office.
Any future travel to NC stayed in hotel, rented cars.
Airline tickets were all round trip from FL to NC and back to FL.

Now our situation was unique in that we anticipated substantial FL income over a short period of time and so our break had to be clear in order for that to not be taxed in NC. We didn't move because of that but we moved because we wanted to live in FL. However, failing to take all steps and make a clean break could have been a very expensive mistake.
What's substantial???

What are the steps I should take to become better friends with Mr. and Mrs. B???
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 07:54   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
What's substantial???

What are the steps I should take to become better friends with Mr. and Mrs. B???
Substantial.....it's enough that paying 7.75% of it to a state you didn't earn it in and no longer live in would be very painful. Now actually after the change in Federal tax the net effect would have only been around 5% but still not something you would want to pay simply because you failed to cross all the t's and dot the i's. Also not something you'd want a prolonged battle over.

As to part two, who knows...maybe as we cross through California or one year through North Mississippi.....lol
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 08:06   #7
sitting on the dock of the bay

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,513
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Florida Residents

the mail forwarding service does not give you a street address and will not make you a Florida resident. you will need to either own a house or rent one and pay a utility bill .. and they want you to have a bank account too. living at a marina in a boat is not the same as living in a dirt dwelling but for many it is a better alternative
__________________
sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 08:16   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Florida Residents

gonesail, that's simply not true. It's perfectly legal to become a Florida resident using only a Personal Mailbox at St Brendan's Isle. And it does give you a street address that is valid for your financial institutions, credit card accounts, mail order prescription deliveries, and as a place for deliveries from FedEx, UPS, etc. I know that for a fact because I did it.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 08:21   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
gonesail, that's simply not true. It's perfectly legal to become a Florida resident using only a Personal Mailbox at St Brendan's Isle. And it does give you a street address that is valid for your financial institutions, credit card accounts and as a place for deliveries from FedEx, UPS, etc. I know that for a fact because I did it.
Hi neighbor lol.
__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 08:25   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Florida Residents

Yep, we have lots of neighbors in the Green Cove Springs area!
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:05   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the mail forwarding service does not give you a street address and will not make you a Florida resident. you will need to either own a house or rent one and pay a utility bill .. and they want you to have a bank account too. living at a marina in a boat is not the same as living in a dirt dwelling but for many it is a better alternative
Hud is correct in correcting you. St. Brendan's Isle does give you a street address and combined with a driver's license, does qualify you for Florida residency. Other states do not work the same. But for Florida, that qualifies you. Your street address is 411 Walnut Street, # (your assigned number), Green Cove Springs, FL. There are a lot of residents at that location. Much like a huge condo building.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:08   #12
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Substantial.....it's enough that paying 7.75% of it to a state you didn't earn it in and no longer live in would be very painful. Now actually after the change in Federal tax the net effect would have only been around 5% but still not something you would want to pay simply because you failed to cross all the t's and dot the i's. Also not something you'd want a prolonged battle over.

As to part two, who knows...maybe as we cross through California or one year through North Mississippi.....lol
Well...

I congratulate you both on your fiduciary astuteness...

Now as far as swinging by CA or MS... I think it would be much simpler for me to come down to FL to have our financial disbursement meeting....

I'll provide the refreshments...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:30   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Well...

I congratulate you both on your fiduciary astuteness...

Now as far as swinging by CA or MS... I think it would be much simpler for me to come down to FL to have our financial disbursement meeting....

I'll provide the refreshments...
But then we're frequently on the move. Right now on the west coast of FL, going to the PNW in April, Alaska in May and June. Then down the west coast. A moving target is hard to hit.....lol

And we would never ask you as our guest to disburse money to us.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 12:18   #14
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Florida Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
But then we're frequently on the move. Right now on the west coast of FL, going to the PNW in April, Alaska in May and June. Then down the west coast. A moving target is hard to hit.....lol

And we would never ask you as our guest to disburse money to us.
Well ...

Seeing how we both move around so much, it looks like we have to agree on a target location...

One of these days our paths must cross...

I hope sooner than later you funny guys!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:36   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,053
Re: Florida Residents

Florida allows each department to set their own definitions for things. So while the Florida DMV does accept a street mailing address as a "residency", unless you actually reside on the premises at St. B's, you are not necessarily a Florida resident. You are a "wink wink, nudge nudge" resident on paper only, and that's what some tax men would call a sham. Florida prefers to ignore it, and that may be very convenient for folks who actually have no real fixed residency.

Some states, some agencies, allow you to be a 'resident' if you either physically reside someplace, or you have announced your intent to return there and resume your residence at a future date, i.e. after you have sojourned abroad for several years. Others, require your butt to actually be sleeping there for 183 days in the calendar year.

"wink wink nudge nudge" only tends to last so long, enjoy it while it does.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do American Liveaboards Have To Be State Residents? Canibul General Sailing Forum 109 19-06-2017 15:36
Crew Wanted: Trawler captain next week west coast of florida to east coast of florida cdunphey Crew Archives 2 28-04-2012 19:15
Saint Augustine, Florida to Lake Worth, Florida Tayzach Atlantic & the Caribbean 17 08-01-2011 17:21
What Does this Mean: 'Not for Sale to US Residents While in US Waters' jacket_fan Dollars & Cents 19 29-11-2009 02:16
Launch of Kindle for Non-US Residents bobsadler The Library 0 17-07-2009 00:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.