Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2016, 12:00   #31
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver
Re: Florida ACA Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Yes ,, we were told it only covers life and limb out of state and even in state if you don't go to your primary, we opted for a walk-in clinic. Aca is a freaking joke. My middle of a cruise they also informed us they needed more income info and removed our tax credit so we were hit with a $1000. Insurance bill. Not for care, just for coverage...

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Yes, wife and I have a close friend in Nashville and she filled out her application to the best of her knowledge. She was, based on the application, subsidized.

After filing her taxes it appears she made more than she thought she would due to working a lot of overtime. Once it was reviewed by the IRS or the ACA bean counters, she didn't get as large a return as she was expecting. "They" withheld an adjusted amount to reimburse themselves due to her qualifying for a lower subsidy than initially given.

Sure, I get it, they have to protect themselves from people who "fudge" a little bit on their ACA application. But it sure came as a shocker to her and should be a lesson to others. Be careful, Big Brother IS watching.

And for clarification: No, Dulce, this wasn't indicating that was what you did, no stones thrown from this quarter.
I just wanted to point out "They" giveth and "They" taketh away!

No, wife and I are not subsidized; while not making a bundle we are making a couple of dollars too much.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:02   #32
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
From experience I can tell you the answer is nowhere!
Ouch SB! Apparently all is well now so that is good (I hope)! I guess I should be more careful when selecting my sarcasms, to some it isn't a joke!

Old 11-06-2016, 08:48   #33

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Yes, wife and I have a close friend in Nashville and she filled out her application to the best of her knowledge. She was, based on the application, subsidized.

After filing her taxes it appears she made more than she thought she would due to working a lot of overtime. Once it was reviewed by the IRS or the ACA bean counters, she didn't get as large a return as she was expecting. "They" withheld an adjusted amount to reimburse themselves due to her qualifying for a lower subsidy than initially given.

Sure, I get it, they have to protect themselves from people who "fudge" a little bit on their ACA application. But it sure came as a shocker to her and should be a lesson to others. Be careful, Big Brother IS watching.

And for clarification: No, Dulce, this wasn't indicating that was what you did, no stones thrown from this quarter.
I just wanted to point out "They" giveth and "They" taketh away!

No, wife and I are not subsidized; while not making a bundle we are making a couple of dollars too much.
Our issue was they couldn't do the or allow the simple math of what my fixed pension payout would be. I was able to show them the amount on a statement and the math plus other income,made it as idiot proof as possible and it was fine for 2 months then not so good. It will all wash out end of the year but at this point we only got it in case of emergency. We will be out of country just 2 weeks shy of not having to have it at all.
And for the other post. The people at ACA clearly said two different times if you go anywhere other than your assigned primary provider and related hospital and it is Not life or Limb, you will be responsible for 100%.00.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-06-2016, 15:12   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos
....The people at ACA clearly said two different times if you go anywhere other than your assigned primary provider and related hospital and it is Not life or Limb, you will be responsible for 100%.00.

When you say the people at ACA do you mean the particular insurance company that you chose? When you sign up for an exchange ACA compliant policy you pick the company and the policy. ACA requires minimum coverage. The insurance company decides who the providers are, and what costs are outside of their listed providers. In some areas you have many companies to chose from, in others there is only one.
Old 15-06-2016, 01:26   #35

This post is stand alone, that while not answering OP's question it contains information which may be useful to others.

I've been looking for those experts who can answer my questions and as yet have had little success. I am looking for long term coverage for full time liveaboards (American citizens/American expats) in international locations.

All I have found so far is two websites.
www.Wellaway.com provides comprehensive medical coverage which is ACA compliant, worldwide, and provides an option for choosing personal doctor.

www.1expatriatecom promotes themselves as 'US style' which is defined as
  1. US dollar denominated
  2. US administered
  3. US terminology in policies and contracts
  4. Policy is accepted in state of residence. (ACA compliant but defers to state)
My initial contact to wellaway for a quote left things to be desired as their online application asked for Passport number and SSN. I terminated my contact because I would not divulge that information.

I haven't tried the 2nd webpage yet.

As my efforts to find needed information has come up dry I plan to contact Latitude 38 (US west coast sailing magazine) to try to dig information for international medical coverage. One of many of my questions is would I (US citizen) be required to carry ACA crap even as long term expat?

Paul L, if it is not too much to ask, please tell who is your underwriter for health ins.

Virgina Lee and Sagablu, given your fields, can you elaborate on the ACA and US citizen while abroad?

Captain Mitch, thank you for posting the information about Treasure Coast.

Akprb, thanks for that. I will have to revisit them to see if they provide for international.
Old 15-06-2016, 02:24   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Richard
My insurance is off the Washington state exchange. It is written by Premera Blueshield.

The Wellway policy you refer to seems like it is oriented toward an expat in a fixed location. You have to pick the country that will be your destination. Not much use for a cruiser.
The 1expat doesn't seem like it is health insurance at all 1expatriate.com

You can see a number of international policies here - none that I would recommend http://www.imis.pro/OnlineServices.h...edicalPlans://
Old 21-10-2016, 15:23   #37
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

BTW - When my wife stopped working and our income stopped we when onto the ACA site for New Hampshire and started filling out the paperwork. Turns out that the State gave us a medicaid plan for free. They say that between us the cost is like $1100/mo they are paying. It our course is with an HMO and since we aren't even currently in State we can not use. But it covers us for emergency medical which is all I hoped for (major medical).

The moral - nothing lost by filling out the paperwork.

Tags
florida, health, health insurance, insurance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: