Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2016, 10:08   #16
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Florida ACA Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sorry to inform you but boat maintenance and repair expenses aren't deductible from your income. Along with docking fees and bar tabs.

I'll check when I get back home to see if I can find a pro to advise you. I just went through this with Medicare, Part A, B, C, and D, supplement plans type A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N and social security. Decided filing corporate income tax for Microsoft might be less complicated and spent a good deal of time on the phone with pros. I imagine ACA is just as bad.
I don't really need any income deductions when all I have are saving account deductions occurring. Maybe I will start a blog page and have a donation block for "donate a band-aid and a beer to a cruiser".

My wife is a HR Manager and I have been having her ask the "pros" cruising related ACA questions the past 2 years when she goes to semiars given by the "pros". The "pros" don't really know anything

Old 09-06-2016, 11:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

And one wonders why a "simple question about Obamacare" is so hard to answer :-) If you are a Christian consider Medishare.

https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/

They are based out of Melbourne Florida, ACA compliant but not traditional insurance per se.

We were ones who "if you like your policy you can keep your policy" lost our policy. The ACA alternatives for our family of four were 2,400/m + with 6000 deductibles. Medishare for the four of us is 360.00 per month with 10k deductible and we've been saving the difference over the last 10 months to basically have our own HSA of sorts.

No problems with Medishare for us so far and VERY professional.

Going to be an interesting next few years as we lurch towards single payer or real insurance. Wrong forum for that topic :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Gov. Rick Scott is a very strong opponent to the ACA and the state has chosen to not take part in the national program.
Wow! I guess that's going to come as a big surprise to the more than 1.5 million Floridians who have already enrolled with ACA providers through the Florida Healthcare Marketplace.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:10   #19

I understand your frustration with getting an answer to your actual question. I recently relocated to Florida from Colorado, mainly to shop for a boat. As of January 1 my wife and I enrolled in health coverage through the ACA. We have great coverage through United Healthcare and have had no problems finding providers in-state. As of now, we haven't needed medical care outside the state. Reviewing my policy, I believe we would be covered out-of-state, however, providers would be out-of-network, resulting in a higher co-pay. Coverage out of the country would be reimbursed under out-of-network provisions, however, you would have to pay out-of-pocket, then submit your bills to your provider for reimbursement. As I stated before, we fortunately haven't had to go through that. As to the policy itself, we qualify for a substantial subsidy, making the policy very affordable, much cheaper then the premiums we were paying back in Colorado prior to enactment of the ACA. We travel extensively, both with-in and outside the country, and are able to maintain a Florida mailing address. Don't know if the mailing address is necessary to have coverage in the state. Helpful?
Old 09-06-2016, 14:01   #20
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver

Not sure if this is "HiJacking" the thread and I surely don't mean too.. But, we are preparing to begin cruising and have questions about health insurance out-of-country.

Our lovely federal government requires us to maintain health insurance or we are fined each year. 1% of gross income the first year, last year it was 2% and my understanding is it will continue to rise until "change" occurs.

I don't believe there is any benefit to us to have US health care insurance outside the US. My Humana card most likely won't work in St. Marteen, will it?

1. Do I have to keep insurance to avoid a fine or is there some way to sidestep the fine without putting our meager Soc Sec payments in jeopardy?

2. Is there insurance I can buy here that satisfies the health insurance requirement and does provide coverage out-of-country?

3. If question #2 is only partially true, forget satisfying the health insurance requirement, I am concerned, as is the OP, about the 1 night in an emergency room that will bankrupt you. So, are there any world-wide coverage policies to cover the heart attack or being run over by a bus in another country?

Me thinks we are cancelling coverage, which will save $1,100.00 a month on a $6,700.00 per person deductible policy. So we will wing it and use other countries medical facilities which I have heard are mostly cheaper than anything in the US. Our income isn't that great and the penalty has to go up a bunch to make cancelling no longer a savings. But I do still worry about emergencies..

Wingin it in 6 months unless someone has an answer for the above that works!

Thanks all, you are a wealth of knowledge!
Old 09-06-2016, 14:08   #21
cruiser

never heard of medishare, so I did a bit of Googling.

FTA: ""Medi-Share is not insurance. It is a not-for-profit ministry and is not guaranteed in any way. Medi-Share is exempt from regulation."

"Members of Medi-Share who forgo health insurance send in hundreds of dollars each month in exchange for no guarantee of anything and a service that isn't subject to regulation."

here's the article link : Opting-out of Obamacare through medical-sharing ministries
Old 09-06-2016, 14:23   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you want I think (you should definitely look up the specific questions):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Our lovely federal government requires us to maintain health insurance or we are fined each year. 1% of gross income the first year, last year it was 2% and my understanding is it will continue to rise until "change" occurs.What I read today was that it was 2.5% of your adjusted income.

I don't believe there is any benefit to us to have US health care insurance outside the US. My Humana card most likely won't work in St. Marteen, will it? I think you are right

1. Do I have to keep insurance to avoid a fine or is there some way to sidestep the fine without putting our meager Soc Sec payments in jeopardy?there are exemptions https://www.healthcare.gov/fees/fee-...being-covered/

2. Is there insurance I can buy here that satisfies the health insurance requirement and does provide coverage out-of-country? if you live outsode the US you are exempt for the ACA penalty

3. If question #2 is only partially true, forget satisfying the health insurance requirement, I am concerned, as is the OP, about the 1 night in an emergency room that will bankrupt you. So, are there any world-wide coverage policies to cover the heart attack or being run over by a bus in another country? there re plans to cover you and lots of depends on how much time you spend in the US

Our income isn't that great and the penalty has to go up a bunch to make cancelling no longer a savings. are you sure you don't qualify for a subsidy?!
When I started down this cruising on a boat plan 8 years ago I assumed I had to get out of the USA just due to health care costs. But I think that may not be true anymore, which is why I had started numerous threads on the subject over the last couple of years.
Old 09-06-2016, 15:10   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
This rich Yankee yachtie has an expected 2017 -2021 yearly income (non adjusted) of about $200. And a quick use of the various calculator tools on the web can give me various cost values for getting a plan ( the number of options in FL are 10+ times those of NH).

ACA subsidies are family income based. If your joint income is $200 then you will not qualify for an ACA policy. Anything less than the low $20k range puts you in Medicaid ranges. In States without extended Medicaid there is hole where no coverage is available till the low $10k range. Medicaid coverage will not be useful if you cruise any distance.
To avoid dropping below the ACA cutoff you can withdraw as taxable income from IRAs or 401k an annual amount that puts you above the minimum and below the maximum for subsidized ACA policies.

We use an ACA plan from Washington state that is part of Blueshield and uses a PPO that covers the US and also supports out of network outside the US.
Old 09-06-2016, 15:21   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

I don't believe there is any benefit to us to have US health care insurance outside the US. My Humana card most likely won't work in St. Marteen, will it?

It depends a lot on why you have medical insurance. In the US many look at insurance more like prepaid medical care. For me I have insurance to protect my assets should myself or wife have a very expensive short term or long term medical issue. We have a friend who just dealt with a serious heart issue - lucky to be alive. The bills exceeded 3/4 million dollars. If something happens to me, I don't want all my assets exhausted and leave my wife broke.
So the medical insurance is there to deal with the risk of something very expensive. We pay out of pocket for all our medical care while cruising the last 6 years. Mostly at rates far less than in the US.
Old 09-06-2016, 15:29   #25

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Paul L is correct for me and I think the OP as well.

In my home state, Alabama, the Medicaid expansion was not accepted as is the case in Florida. Both have a state marketplace not a national marketplace.

Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only option in Alabama through the state marketplace and is not subsidized for a poor sailor like me. The premium for the least standard was more than twice my typical monthly income.

Obviously I don't have healthcare insurance but intend to apply to the VA sometime soon since I'm ex USAF.
Old 09-06-2016, 16:46   #26

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

WOW, what a bunch of confusing notes -- so I will be brief.
After days and days of frustration attempting to figger out the stupid "Obama Care" nonsense we got tipped off to someone who helped us tremendously in getting reasonable coverage for my wife which also covers her during our near constant traveling.
Contact-- Treasure Coast Community Health Inc, Vero Beach, Fl tel.:772-571-1989 and tell them that you need help finding reasonable coverage as a Fl. resident.
They are a non profit (read that free) source for help finding coverage and were extremely helpful for us. We went to their office and they went on-line with us and we had it done in less than an hour!
She now has a policy thru Florida (BlueCross BlueShield) Blue Select no deductible and total $104/mo
Old 10-06-2016, 09:56   #27
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver

Thanks SB, it is on the drawing board at this point to be gone for 3 or 4 years, maybe forever if we really like something we stumble across, but will make periodic visits back to Florida to visit family.

Much like Paul L I am presently insured solely to protect assets. If I didn't have any assets I would wing it and, knowing US emergency rooms have to treat you, worry about the bill later.

I do still worry about the bus accident or heart attack in Belize or Panama City.. Off to do my research; Where do I really want to have a heart attack, Ugh!
Old 10-06-2016, 10:26   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where do I really want to have a heart attack, Ugh!
From experience I can tell you the answer is nowhere!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:28   #29

Boat: 38' French Cat

Yes ,, we were told it only covers life and limb out of state and even in state if you don't go to your primary, we opted for a walk-in clinic. Aca is a freaking joke. My middle of a cruise they also informed us they needed more income info and removed our tax credit so we were hit with a $1000. Insurance bill. Not for care, just for coverage...

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-06-2016, 11:50   #30

Boat: Pearson 10M

Sailor boy,

I own a Health insurance brokerage, so this is my area of expertise ( sailing not so much). Although I am not based in FL I can certainly give you enough info to put you on the right track. I do not have enough time today to explain all on this forum, just too busy today. But please PM me your # and I will call you.

One tip, a true medical emergency is covered nationwide without regards to network. So in an emergency, you can go to any appropriate facility anywhere and expect that care to be covered as per the terms of your policy.

Tags
florida, health, health insurance, insurance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: