Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 04:00   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne
Boat: Compass 28
Posts: 298
Flopper Stopper

On my previous cruise, I tried a prototype flopper-stopper, but with only partial success.

I could keep trying, but I wonder if anyone else with a 28 foot 3.5 ton long-keel boat has got the formula right? If you have, and you shared the dimensions/weight you used it would save me a heap of work, and I'd be very grateful to you!

Stern anchors and rolling-hitch bridles on the rode can help a lot, but I'm sure a flopper-stopper would help even more.

Cheers, Graeme
__________________

__________________
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 04:14   #2
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
On my previous cruise, I tried a prototype flopper-stopper, but with only partial success.

I could keep trying, but I wonder if anyone else with a 28 foot 3.5 ton long-keel boat has got the formula right? If you have, and you shared the dimensions/weight you used it would save me a heap of work, and I'd be very grateful to you!

Stern anchors and rolling-hitch bridles on the rode can help a lot, but I'm sure a flopper-stopper would help even more.

Cheers, Graeme
I had to google this term 'flopper stopper' as I had absolutely no idea what that was. Now I see what it is, I used a Seabreak to calm the swell at night.

It's solas approved as a sea anchor and alternative steering system too.
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 06:39   #3
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 3,434
Images: 25
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
On my previous cruise, I tried a prototype flopper-stopper, but with only partial success.

I could keep trying, but I wonder if anyone else with a 28 foot 3.5 ton long-keel boat has got the formula right? If you have, and you shared the dimensions/weight you used it would save me a heap of work, and I'd be very grateful to you!

Stern anchors and rolling-hitch bridles on the rode can help a lot, but I'm sure a flopper-stopper would help even more.

Cheers, Graeme

Graeme--

Attached (I Hope!) are snaps of the front and back (top and bottom?) of our home cooked Flopper Stopper. Essentially nothing more than steel rods rivited together with a piece of heavy dodger plastic cut in an X-shape between the corners that rest on the lower grid when the Stopper is pulled upward through the water column. We made this up for our earlier boat, a 29' fin keel racer/cruiser. On that boat it was rigged outboard through a snatch block on the end of a 12' spinnaker pole that was supported with a topping lift, and fore'n after guys. We also use it on our current 42' boat in the same manner albeit on a much longer pole. It works very well. Note that it is wise to mark the outboard end of the pole with a light at night so some unsuspecting passer by doesn't run into the thing.

FWIW...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flopper 1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	121436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flopper 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	121437  

__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 08:56   #4
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 982
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I had to google this term 'flopper stopper' as I had absolutely no idea what that was. Now I see what it is, I used a Seabreak to calm the swell at night.

It's solas approved as a sea anchor and alternative steering system too.
Thanks!! I never thought to use a drogue/sea anchor as a flopper stopper.

I can see how that would work just as well, and I already have one on board.

Would it help to add a weight to keep the apex of the cone pointing down?
__________________
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 09:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anacortes
Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Posts: 1,735
Re: Flopper Stopper

There was another thread this year on flopper stoppers. You might get some good info on that if you search for it.
__________________
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 10:22   #6
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thanks!! I never thought to use a drogue/sea anchor as a flopper stopper.

I can see how that would work just as well, and I already have one on board.

Would it help to add a weight to keep the apex of the cone pointing down?
I don't know how it does it, but if you float it about two meters under the surface it stays downward anyway. At least it has the 2 or 3 times ive used it for this purpose. I put it down off the end of the boom. It has written instructions on how to set it up as a stabalizer at anchor.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 14:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Flopper Stopper

I have seen some made out of old beer crates and plywood. They were loaded with come chain at the bottom side.

One gets hoisted on the boom the other on the spinnaker pole.

Prawners (or are they shrimpers) in Oz seem to use them too, while waiting out the blow behind the reef.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 16:33   #8
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have seen some made out of old beer crates and plywood. They were loaded with come chain at the bottom side.

One gets hoisted on the boom the other on the spinnaker pole.

Prawners (or are they shrimpers) in Oz seem to use them too, while waiting out the blow behind the reef.

b.
We call them prawns, though thanks to a Paul Hogan attempt for an American advertisment of our great Island, and the influence of television, im starting to hear younger folk call them shrimp

On our prawner boats, those big plates on either side i think are called ploughs, they make the mouth of the nets open up wide. And your right they do lower them into the water when it gets rough, partially because it helps calm the roll, but also because of their size and weight they are too big to have swinging around in bad weather at anchor. Down my way we only have scollopers so im not that familiar with the prawners.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 19:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
We call them prawns, though thanks to a Paul Hogan attempt for an American advertisment of our great Island, and the influence of television, im starting to hear younger folk call them shrimp

On our prawner boats, those big plates on either side i think are called ploughs, they make the mouth of the nets open up wide. And your right they do lower them into the water when it gets rough, partially because it helps calm the roll, but also because of their size and weight they are too big to have swinging around in bad weather at anchor. Down my way we only have scollopers so im not that familiar with the prawners.
You are so lucky to be living there down under. We only spent a short half a year sailing round the top end. But I do hope next time to sail from Cape Town to Perth and then onwards and visit Tasmania before sailing onwards to the East Coast (again).

Thanks for the explanation, and for the inspiration!
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 22:40   #10
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,401
Images: 35
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
On my previous cruise, I tried a prototype flopper-stopper, but with only partial success.

I could keep trying, but I wonder if anyone else with a 28 foot 3.5 ton long-keel boat has got the formula right? If you have, and you shared the dimensions/weight you used it would save me a heap of work, and I'd be very grateful to you!

Stern anchors and rolling-hitch bridles on the rode can help a lot, but I'm sure a flopper-stopper would help even more.

Cheers, Graeme
Hmmm, 28' and 3.5 tons, long keel, sounds a lot like my boat. I have no stock in the company, but I have always used rocker-stoppers and they work ok for me. They recommend using nylon line but I prefer dacron so it won't stretch and absorb the load because that just lets it roll. I prefer not to use the boom for mine because I didn't like the idea of the halyard taking the load off to the side and have the possibility of chafing so I got an aluminum pole that I attached fittings for and I bowline a line around the mast and use the halyard to hoist it to just below the spreaders and that line goes to the outrigger. Also, they only "stack well" if you take the line out to store them, but that is completely impractical and the knots are jammed pretty tight anyway. At $20 each they aren't cheap considering you'll probably want 6-8 of them plus the heavy weights to hold them. I usually just go with 4 off one side and that is fine under most circumstances. With 3 or 4 off both sides, it is very stable. And yes, I also use a stern anchor to keep her facing whatever the predominant swell is. And yes there are a couple of threads on flopper stoppers out there you should check too.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 22:51   #11
Registered User
 
autumnbreeze27's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cruising Mexico
Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 967
Re: Flopper Stopper

We use magma flopper stoppers we got at minneys (used). Whatever u use the key is to get it as far away from the hull as possible. We run one from the main boom and one from the spin pole. We only use the main boom unless it's really bad. Just a few days ago we anchored and went to bed and woke up when the swell came up and rolled us right on the beam. U know it's a good role when your water bottle flies off and Hit's unit the head. So after u figure yours out rig it before u hit the rack or U will likely be up at 1am rigging it


Sent from somewhere in the Pacific
__________________
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 23:40   #12
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,401
Images: 35
Re: Flopper Stopper

oops, forgot to post the photo of rocker-stoppers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-03-26 at 9.28.19 PM.png
Views:	256
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	121470  
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 04:32   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne
Boat: Compass 28
Posts: 298
Re: Flopper Stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Graeme--

Attached (I Hope!) are snaps of the front and back (top and bottom?) of our home cooked Flopper Stopper. Essentially nothing more than steel rods rivited together with a piece of heavy dodger plastic cut in an X-shape between the corners that rest on the lower grid when the Stopper is pulled upward through the water column.
FWIW...
Looks interesting - mind telling me dimensions and weights?
__________________

__________________
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flopper stopper bobs Anchoring & Mooring 19 18-11-2015 21:55
Flopper Stoppers? Mirror16 Anchoring & Mooring 22 28-12-2013 16:22
Flopper Stopper: Design Needed Sea Note Anchoring & Mooring 13 03-05-2011 06:50
For Sale: Wave-Stopper Dodger pdxsailordiver Classifieds Archive 1 26-01-2010 06:43
Antal Sheet Stopper Parts SCCatSailor Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 1 03-10-2009 04:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.