Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 14:39   #1

Boat: Ericson 39B
Flooding, Flooding, Flooding

Read the post about colision mats and thought I would put my 2 cents in. I am the Lead Trainer here at the Readiness Response Institute in Bremerton, WA. We teach maritime fire fighting and Damage control (flooding control)to the Navy, Coast Guard, Army Ships, and within the last year we have started with the fishing fleet. Northern Fishing Vessel Owners Association (NPFVOA) here in the Northwest has been sending their sailors here for a little over a year now. I am conducting Watertight door training and maintenance with them and we show them stuff to help stop/control flooding. I could write pages here on this stuff, but today I just wanted to remind everone on this site that if you do run aground, hit the rocks or you are in a situation where you cannot put a collision mat over the side then here is one of the methods I teach here at school. We use Wooden DC Plugs and screw an eylet to them, different size eylets for different sized wooden plugs. You then attach a lanyard (line or rope) to the eylet that you haved screwed to your wooden plug, now if you can reach the hole inside your vessel you put the plug thru the damage and it will float to the surface with your lanyard attached. Now go outside and take the plug w/lanyard out of the water. Now you have a line inside your boat and outside your boat in the safety of your cockpit or deck. Now attach something to that line (cushion, pillow, piece of plywood, 2 x 4, blanket, tabel top, cubby hole lid, have to use your imigination) Once you have your item attached to the lanyard go back inside and pull on the lanyard until whatever you attached to it comes up against your damage (hole). This is one of the best ways of NOT HAVING to put someone over the side in cold or stormy seas. EVERYTHING I teach is to stop or control the flooding enough so eductors and bilge pumps can keep up with what is leaking by. This may of maynot help someone out some day, but it is just another option because of weather or obstacles inside the vessel that stop you from putting something over the damage, outside has no obstacles in the way like inside. Here are some pictures of my engine room at school.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	15839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	15840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	15841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	15842  

Sea Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 15:00   #2

Boat: Stephens, MY, 70 ft,Vancouver and 43 ft Hatteras in Florida
Flooding

Excellent post, thanks.
canuck dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 15:34   #3

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Thank you, I'll be adding half a dozen floating plugs to our kit tomorrow.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 16:32   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
That's really smart. I can definitely see doing that on the rocks in Puget Sound long before fooling with a collision mat!

One idea I have heard that seemed good was to have a collision mat, and squirt expanding foam into the area between the boat and the hull.

I think if the cushion/lifejacket/whatever you tie to the lanyard was covered in a generous application of sealing goo, you may get a pretty good seal.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 16:33   #5

Boat: grampian 26
We did this training in the navy. You would be surprised how fast you move when the icy water reaches you gonads.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote