Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 07:40   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Flags and Halyards

OK, I can't fly my Country of registration flag off of the stern like normal as I have too much stuff back there.
Of course I need to be able to fly a quarantine flag and a courtesy flag.
So two Halyards?
What is the etiquette of display of countries flags?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:49   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran
Re: Flags and Halyards

Your national ensign is to be flown from the the place of honor - typically aft part of the vessel. If you do not have space for a staff, consider flying from the topping lift or backstay on a sloop.

The courtesy and Q signal is to fly from stbd spreader.

In my eyes, nothing says, "I don't know what I'm doing and I don't care," like flying ensigns and signals incorrectly.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So how do you hoist a flag up a back stay?
Old 15-07-2017, 07:54   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

On my topping lift, you could do the same in a backstay, I lashed a small block and rove it with light line about 2/3 of the way up. I hoist all the way up when under sail and hoist to end of boom under power or at anchor.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 08:11   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

You put one flag on the right and the US flag on the left spreader. Put the reflector on the left just, above the flag. That will leave the US just below the other.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 08:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had assumed from my reading that dual Halyards were called for, with the Ensign on the port and the courtesy on the Starboard, usually.
Flying from the leech and or the aft stay, it wouldn't fly very well I don't think with it being raked forward.

I just don't want to look the fool, OK to be one, just don't want to look it
Old 15-07-2017, 08:34   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Using 2 halyards from the spreaders is not foolish. You do get more wear on the flag because the tips of the flag hit the top stay sometimes.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:41   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

probably find the correct answer here:

Flag and Etiquette Committee

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Carsten, I have read that, and it really didn't give me a direct answer. Interesting though that it had been updated so recently, I figured it hadn't changed in well, Centuries
Old 15-07-2017, 15:21   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64,

One thing I've seen done is if you have davits, hang the flag from one of them, and use a lead weight to keep the fly straight. It's not on the centerline of the boat, but it's not far, either.

Some people do as svGrateful suggested, above. Seize a tiny block to the back stay, etc. It looks grand in a breeze, the non perpendicularity is not a problem.

One of the advantages of having a flagstaff socket welded to your stern pulpit is that it is then very easy to de-mount the flag and staff, roll the flag around the staff, and bring it into the boat at dusk. Had a Kiwi friend, who did it that way, and called the process of it all "putting the Queen Mum to bed". Go figure.

Like a lot of other things on cruising boats, this is a matter of finding what works best for you. The QMtB method is probably the least invasive, because it's so quick.

Or, if you have a low down anchor light, that lights the flag, you can leave it up, illuminated. They wear out faster, though.

Neither Jim nor i is an expert on flag etiquette, but this boat came with only the starboard flag halyard, and it seems to be enough.

Ann
Old 15-07-2017, 15:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So how do you hoist a flag up a back stay?

Our sloop had a block moused on two thirds up and a clear near the base with a dedicated halyard. Easy and proper
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 15:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flags and Halyards

Stern is out of the question, it's either the port aft stay or a second flag halyard.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	151962
Old 16-07-2017, 10:47   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

a64, I've got flag halyards on port and starboard lower spreaders. I generally fly the radar reflector on the port and flag or flags on the starboard. If in foreign waters (Mexico) I fly the Mex flag above the US flag.

When I bought this boat it had a flag halyard clamped 2/3 of the way up the backstay and a cleat clamped on lower down on the backstay. After it fouled the topping lift many time I removed it and just use the flag halyards on the spreaders.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:22   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

m m m m . . . . there is one correct answer to this question, if you can not fly from stern staff (or a gaff), then it is "from the leech of the aftermost sail (or from the back stay), approximately 2/3 the distance up its length." (we used the backstay on Hawk)

Neither starboard spreader hoist nor port spreader hoist are proper, for a number of reasons but primarily because they will be inferior to the courtesy flag, which is disrespectful to the US ensign. From my club (the CCA) "starboard spreader is not an acceptable alternative . . . its flag use is limited to foreign national colors of host country, Q flag, and (various) club and personal and signal flags"
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 13:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Do you have access to the radar stand above your helicopter pad? I'd get creative with a hinged flag jack off the back of your hats bimini and lead the forestay of it over the top. How often do you actually fly your colors, even in foreign ports?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags, halyard