Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 12:09   #76

Re: Fla

Hey, I like Florida. I liked living there (I didn't like having to speak Spanish half of the time). I liked it when I could drive to Key West and back in a day. I still have family there and I love boating there.

Every state has good points and bad points. I just thought this thread was about the good and bad ones in Florida.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:10   #77

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Fla

Am I the only one scared of the freaking PYTHONS?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:16   #78

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Am I the only one scared of the freaking PYTHONS?
I assume you were not one of the "1300 from 38 states" that recently participated in the Python Challenge?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:21   #79

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"
Ah, FloriDUH.

I'm not complaining, I'd just like to see it granted freedom and nationhood on its own.<G>
Not a bad idea. Conch Republic take 2 anyone?
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:23   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I assume you were not one of the "1300 from 38 states" that recently participated in the Python Challenge?
Correcto!
Old 20-02-2013, 17:25   #81

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

My favorite bumper sticker -

"We don't give a damn how you do it up north"
Old 20-02-2013, 17:42   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
You'll need the state registration sticker and if you can get the boat inspected in Florida before they stop and board you, that will get you the inspection sticker for safety equipment. Once you have that sticker showing, you very likely wont get stopped unless doing something wrong or suspicious. Without that sticker its going to happen!
Do I seriously need a FL sticker on my transient documented vessel? It will probably still have a valid Michigan water use tax sticker by the time we get there. We always get the USCG sticker from the CG-AUX.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:45   #83

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
It will probably still have a valid Michigan water use tax sticker by the time we get there.
If that's a state registration sticker from MI mounted up on your bow you're probably good to go. State-registered boats from other states get a 90-day reciprocity before having to register in FL.
Old 20-02-2013, 18:04   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, actually, that's a pretty lousy analogy. A REAL analogy would be a state requiring anyone who brings their vehicle and stays for more than three months, having to register the car and get it inspected in that state.

OH WAIT!!! Every state already does that! Gee, what a surprise.

This has nothing to do with "full faith and credit." It simply has to do with states (virtually ALL states, not just Florida) saying that if you come and stay for months at a time, then you are using the common elements of the state enough that you need to pay a little bit for them.

Again, twist it however you want, but this is absolutely and positively NOT any sort of violation of any federal law, or of the Constitution, or of anything else.
Actually, you can visit by car and stay about as long as you want. You are only required to register your car typically 'withing 90 days of establishing residency'. If you are spending 6 months North and South you don't register the car both places. And BTW, if I am staying on a long term visit, I pay fuel tax, sales tax, hotel tax and sprinkle my money all around the local economy. They might better try what the folks in Little Current Ontario do to encourage boaters. Free docks dawn to 9:30 PM including electricity, showers, water. People come there to spend the day, see a movie, buy supplies, repairs, go to a restaurant. When you aren't getting robbed at the dock you spend a lot more in town.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 18:34   #85
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Son, A python's just a pair of riding boots ain't got heels and spurs installed on 'em yete.

Besides, Florida is a "shall carry" state and if you don't mind so much not having a head to trophy mount afterwards, coupla-six rounds up top can really slow a python down.

Nick-
I'm pretty sure I've read those auto registration rules, and in several states. They usually say if a motor vehicle is in their jurisdiction for 90 consecutive days, it has to be registered there. And titled there. And insured there.

Sometimes, 90 consecutives days, sometimes, 183 days in any one calender year, sometimes 183 days in any 365 consecutive days...the details vary in important ways.

Eventually this will be federalized over screams and moans. The GPS in your car will tell the federal DOT where you car was. The DOT will collect all applicable road and vehicle fees, and then it will allocate them to the states where the vehicle actually spent time. That fairly allocate tolls, road construction fees, repairs, environmental remediation, titling fees, insurance and safety programs...you name it.

Nominate me Federal Highway Czar on Monday, and I'll get the rest set up in time for Christmas. Uniform vehicle laws and funding, and anyone who doesn't like it can always move to Mozambique or Moscow and see if they like the vehicle law there any better.

It ain't rocket science. We just need to round up ALL the good ole boys been squeelin like pigs, and turn into into bacon.

But it is pretty much the norm, if a motor vehicle is located someplace for 90 days, there's gonna be tax men poking at it. And they don't care where you reside, unless you 've got those magic DPL on constabulary plates on it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 19:15   #86

Boat: Seafarer36c

How does all of this apply to a documented boat in storage for a couple of years. Do we need to sneak out of the country when we leave or should we pay some fee's to a state that stole an election?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 08:57   #87

Seriously, people. Florida is AWFUL! It's just going to cost you a lot of money, and you're not going to enjoy it anyway. Stay away!

Please.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:20   #88

Old 21-02-2013, 18:54   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Blue Crab, I don't know why you worry about them tiny little snakes. This picture was taken in my back yard. No pythons around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crock2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	55412  
Old 21-02-2013, 19:37   #90

That's a real gator alright. Think how big the python will be to take him out.