Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-02-2011, 12:10   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Fishing and Cruising - But the End Is Nigh

In many posts on the forum the idea of 'if this civilization packs up, I do not care - will live on rice and fish' crops up.

However, the reality is, that the fish may no longer be there. Make sure you stock plenty of rice:

The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture - 2010 (SOFIA)

85% of world fish supplies are over-fished, out-fished, or on brink of extinction. Full 5% more than back in 2006. 15 more years and ...

It is quite amazing we do not have a separate ecology header in out cruising forum.

b.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It breaks my heart Barnie. I love to fish and live by what should be amazingly abundant waters and they are threatened from so many angles.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:16   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is quite amazing we do not have a separate ecology header in out cruising forum.
I think I can hear the sound of Mods choking on their peanuts
Old 07-02-2011, 12:17   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
It's no better in the Southern Ocean, according to a solo racer:

CBC News - Politics - Ocean changes unsettling to solo sailor
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49   #5

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Don't believe all that you read... I am a fisherman and the so called marine biolagist that comes up with these numbers are not always correct. ''THERE ARE PLENTY OF FISH IN THE SEA''
Old 07-02-2011, 18:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is something to it. I grew up in a seaside village and 30 years ago the harbour was full of fish. It was never the issue of whether you catch something or not, only of what fish it would be.

Now visiting my home place I do not dare looking into the waters of the harbour - THERE IS NO SINGLE FISH there. It is pretty sad. Very sad, to me.

Contrary to what one might think of pollution, etc.. 30 years ago it was a bustling fishery area, today there is some tourism but otherwise nothing that would affect the sea life to any important degree. Too late - the fish is gone, the sea life next to non-existent.

That's the situation in the Baltic Sea.

Now, I live in Canary Islands and I do not know how many sewage treatment facilities are here, but local environmentalists claim there is NONE. C'mon - we are 2 million people here and no sewage treatment facilities? Where has all the EU funds gone? And how come, without such facilities, we are allowed to produce (and consume) aquaculture food just 10 miles down the coast (yes, you guessed right - the current flows that way too). C`mon folks! - you want to eat your own crap - come to Canary Islands. In fact, you do - we export our crap ... errrr ... I mean ... our marisco!

This is the situation in Atlantic and Mediterranean Spain and Portugal - the strongholds of the sea food (name no longer adequate).

I see the future of the marine environment in black. And this is OUR environment as long as the passtime of our choice is cruising.

Too bad so few of us can see the consequences of such simple facts.

barnie
Old 07-02-2011, 19:02   #7
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Don't blame me Barnie.... I don't eat fish.... and I don't fish for fun either...
If I kill something I eat it... apart from roaches, wasps, mosquito's and flies

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 19:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
last year crossing the pacific from hawaii to australia,on some of the more remote streches was surprised to see long liners out of korea and japan working.

the tuna industry is highly profitable,it must be for these guys to be working 5000 miles from their home port.

met some danish guys whilst i was working in skagen denmark who were 6week on and 6 weeks off working out of mauritania, nouchott on sardine boats,
they would go out at 5 am and be back in port for the evening with 800 tons of sardines,every day!

hovering the oceans,this is what happens when you let accountants run things....
Old 07-02-2011, 19:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep. I eat hardly any fish either. Delicious, but moral issues.

But eat fish or not eat fish - it will be an empty place, the ocean our kids will go sailing on one day.

;-(
bad barnie
Old 07-02-2011, 19:33   #10

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
TV story of fishing in pacific showed the world's largest purse seine trawler from Spain gathering tuna using birds spotted on radar to locate schools of fish. Altantic must be uneconomic these days.

It think the spanish also work southern antartic waters.
Old 07-02-2011, 19:43   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Don't believe all that you read... I am a fisherman and the so called marine biolagist that comes up with these numbers are not always correct. ''THERE ARE PLENTY OF FISH IN THE SEA''
Old 07-02-2011, 19:46   #12
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Met a 50ft Spanish fishing boat out of Baiona 400miles west of the Azores... they'd been out there for 5 weeks so can only assume there was a factory ship somewhere around taking their catch... traded with them... they offered fish... yuck..
Settled on 8 tins of corned beef for 40 Ducados... I was gagging... 17days overdue coz of bad weather and autopilot failure... had run out 5 days earlier...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 20:37   #13

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
I hope you're right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Population_curve.png
Views:	239
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	23584  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A mass extinction is very likely currently underway. This time, unlike the past, it's not a chance asteroid collision, nor a chain of climatic circumstances alone that's at fault. Instead, it is chiefly the activities of an ever-growing human population, in concert with long-term environmental change.

The International Union for the Conservation of Nature estimates that 800 plant and animal species have gone extinct in the last 500 years, with more than 16,000 currently threatened with extinction — and those lost or threatened organisms come from the mere 41,000 species so far assessed by science. More than a million have been described but remain unstudied.

The most troubling figures, however, come not from the total species lost but the rate at which they’re vanishing: 1,000 times faster than usual.

According to Richard Leakey and Roger Lewin:

“Our planet has been shaken by five major extinctions in the four billion year history of life. The first, 450 million years ago, occurred shortly after the evolution of the first land-based plants and 100 million years after the Cambrian Explosion of animal life beneath the seas.

The second extinction spasm came 350 million years ago, causing the formation of coal forests. Then the Earth experienced two mass extinctions during the Triassic period, between 250 and 200 million years ago. The fifth mass extinction, probably caused by a giant meteor collision, occurred 65 million years ago, at the end of the Cretaceous period, and ended the reptilian dominance of the Earth. This led to the current mammalian domination of the Earth.

So what is the Sixth Extinction? When is it coming? And what is its cause? "It's the next annihilation of vast numbers of species. It is happening now, and we, the human race, are its cause," explains Dr. Richard Leakey, the world's most famous paleoanthropologist. Every year, between 17,000 and 100,000 species vanish from our planet, he says. "For the sake of argument, let's assume the number is 50,000 a year. Whatever way you look at it, we're destroying the Earth at a rate comparable with the impact of a giant asteroid slamming into the planet, or even a shower of vast heavenly bodies." The statistics he has assembled are staggering. Fifty per cent of the Earth's species will have vanished inside the next 100 years; mankind is using almost half the energy available to sustain life on the planet, and this figure will only grow as our population leaps from 5.7 billion to ten billion inside the next half-century. Such a dramatic and overwhelming mass extinction threatens the entire complex fabric of life on Earth, including the species responsible for it: Homo sapiens ...”

More ➥ Sixth Extinction

Information on the Current Mass Extinction ➥ Mass Extinction Underway | Biodiversity Crisis | Global Species Loss

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The International Union for the Conservation of Nature estimates that 800 plant and animal species have gone extinct in the last 500 years
1 and half a year (on average).

Quote:
explains Dr. Richard Leakey, the world's most famous paleoanthropologist. Every year, between 17,000 and 100,000 species vanish from our planet,
100,000 a year.

It's as if folks are simply making stuff up

Quote:
The University of East Anglia* (Climategate Creationist Unit) - a spokesman said "I've never murdered a Prostitute. and I only married my sister to keep the farm in the family"

For those unfamilair with the UEA before they invented Climate "Science" - East Anglia was formerly best known for the locals having a few too many toes or fingers. and for murdering prostitutes. i.e. Folks with way too much time on there hands

Tags
cruising, fishing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: