Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 16:55   #61

Boat: In the market for a 35'-40'er in FL
I spent my teens in Wisconsin and we would catch so many carp fishing almost lost it's fun. On the plus side I had a buddy who was Hmoung and his dad would give us a buck a pound for them. I know some people back there who are doing the aquaponic thing and making some cash at it. http://www.growingpower.org/aquaponics.htm As far as Florida goes I catch at least one fish almost every time I go out. I try to only use live bait or old stinky cheese and it works well for me. Don't have that much luck with lures but I know people who swear by them. I have a
Old 09-02-2011, 17:17   #62

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Gord, I am not sure that LMGTFY seems offensive to you. I just want you to know that some people find it a little insulting.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:42   #63

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Gord, I am not sure that LMGTFY seems offensive to you. I just want you to know that some people find it a little insulting.
I can't find it insulting, cuz I don't know what the heck it is!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:46   #64

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post

China's population control policy: One child per family. Of course everyone chose to have a boy. Brilliant.

The whole thing is obviously, laughable hopeless......
I have a Chinese friend here. He reports that (if I remember correctly) 30,000 more males that females in China. When you stop to think that to get that kind of difference, you realize that the same number of infant girls had to die.

Yes, not so clever on the Chinese gov part. Yes, laughable until you realize what has really happened.

At the same time, you may wind up with 30,000 gay, shark fin soup lovers who see nothing wrong with rhino horn medicine. That is pretty crude on my part, and I'm not happy about expressing it that way. Sometimes it get a liitle hard to flower it up.

Mods, please be gentle with me. I'm feeling vulnerable after that one.
Old 09-02-2011, 17:59   #65

Boat: Skookum 53'
Pardon my ignorance, what is LMGTFY?
I do not have all the pertinent data, but the information I get from National Fisherman and on the internet is that the fish stocks that were being depleted are now recovering due to some strict management policies. And as much as I don't like govt. interference, it beats having everyone fishing until there are no more for anyone. In Alaska we have waged a constant battle with Korea, Japan and other nations that have fished out their waters and are coming to ours to meet the demand for fish, the methods are very efficient and they kill a lot of fish. One way to improve the stocks is to make the fishing less efficient or rigorous enforcement of the quotas already in place. When you have a country like North Korea that has a lot of very hungry people, you are going to have a pressure to supply that need no matter what. Many nations are engaged in a cooperative management scheme for the highly mobile species, such as Albacore, Blue Fin Tuna etc... and they are showing improvement, however as always you can never eliminate the greed heads or the desperate whom will fish until the last cod has been killed. As some others have stated in this post, I am far more concerned about the die off of the microscopic organisms that make up the base of the food chain, there is where the real danger lies.
Old 09-02-2011, 18:02   #66

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. I know what LMGTFY is, but are you saying Gord does or doesn't find it offensive?

In general terms, Gord's style is often to just post a link or 2, and his info is usually accurate and informative.

In this instance the poster made a funny typo, in my opinion, and Gord posted a link that resolved it, and happens to be his latest toy.

Personally, I don't find it insulting, but I'm open to your opinion in case I've missed something...?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 18:08   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is LMGTFY
Google it captain; the answer will amuse...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 18:11   #68

Boat: Skookum 53'
Okay, that is funny.
If that is all everyone did, then there would be no need for forums, or exchanges. We could all just sit around in the dark and google and all the wisdom of the world would come to us.
Old 09-02-2011, 18:13   #69

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Okay, that is funny.
If that is all everyone did, then there would be no need for forums, or exchanges. We could all just sit around in the dark and google and all the wisdom of the world would come to us.
You just recited googles mission statement.
Old 09-02-2011, 18:27   #70

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Google it captain; the answer will amuse...
Thanx for that. I'm in tears here. We need a "knee slapping/holding your guts" icon.
Old 19-02-2011, 07:36   #71

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate

Older readers will remember this found via Google:

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also recall a documentary, Koyaanisqatsi (life out of balance) that might be a must see for younger folks concerned about the long term.

I used to shrimp in the GOM with a thoughtful old captain who predicted that eventually the "electricity would go off." When this happened he was going to head to somewhere that never had electricity anyway. I think many of us are leaning that way now. Atoll's comment about the Indian Ocean comes to mind. Surely one of the last frontiers.

We are the potential survivors of the next big population reduction. That has never seemed as close as it does now as the modern countries run out of money. When the rich are no longer rich enough to support the poor, I plan to be far from population centers.

Have a nice day.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 10:26   #72

Boat: Aries 32
Please don't take this the wrong way Captain58 - it's meant to educate and not insult - but the real power of the Internet is that, with just a bit of work to understand it, you can have actual data at your fingertips, and not be reliant on those fed you by your local politician/religions leader/paid lobbyist posing as a concerned individual on a forum.

As an Alaskan, you of all people should be acutely aware of the ******** that's published as fact where there is money and power at stake. I don't even bother gillnetting Kings on the Yukon anymore - they're increasingly being taken as bycatch in the pollock fishery, and what makes it to Interior are increasingly small and few. But read the FDNM or ADN on any given day, and there's a story about how the pollock fisheries are doing better now, or maybe it's that the damned Asians are taking all the fish, or maybe it's the sea lions. Anyway, if there are fewer fish, and we're SURE we don't remember it that way, it's not the fault of your FRIENDLY local pollock fishery (reporting from Seattle).

If you'd like a terrifying preview of Alaska's unchecked future, spend a summer fishing in California.

For whatever it's worth, North Korea (23M), South Korea (47M) and Japan (127M) combined (197M) have far fewer people than the US (307M), and on average they consume far fewer calories.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 16:56   #73

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
the real power of the Internet is that, with just a bit of work to understand it, you can have actual data at your fingertips, and not be reliant on those fed you by your local politician/religions leader/paid lobbyist posing as a concerned individual on a forum.
Who's to say that the majority of information on the internet is not massaged, manipulated, and repackaged BS from the same stake-holders we should be avoiding on this forum? Individuals and corporations, governments and advocates - we all have an agenda, even if that agenda is to try to not have an agenda.

The info I'm getting is that we as a species are destroying our own habitat at a rate never before seen. We are doing this by destroying the quality of the air and water, cutting the forests, and dumping waste of every type wherever we want, without regard for long-term consequence. And there are more of us doing this than ever before.

But the perpetrators are unapologetic; they can afford lobbyists and legislators to do that.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 17:10   #74

Boat: Aries 32
That little clause about understanding is the important part. It's been demonstrated that people are really terrible at filtering what they read on the Internet, but that doesn't mean the information isn't available and decipherable.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 01:18   #75
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
We are the potential survivors of the next big population reduction. That has never seemed as close as it does now as the modern countries run out of money. When the rich are no longer rich enough to support the poor, I plan to be far from population centers.
Sorry, none of us here are high up the list of potential survivers - maybe these guys are though - First ever aerial footage of uncontacted Amazon tribe released

Jared Diamond put it well in Guns, Germs and Steel. Hunter gatherers , to survive, always have to be intelligent, fast, fit, cunning, lots of things. Humans that develooped in industrial civilisations need to be none of those things, - just don't die from infectious diseases.

Quote:
"Nature favours those organisms which leave the environment in better shape for their progeny to survive."
James Lovelock
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fishing