Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2017, 10:18   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
First time on a sailboat

Hello all this is my first post

Ok I have been on the water for 30yrs and have had many powerboats but never been on a sailboat.

I live in Cape Coral and the boat is in the Keys so I need to get it back
Ive done this trip many times on powerboats and my mind tells me whats the worst that can happen I will motor it all the way home.

I know one thing I wont be able to outrun weather so I will plan my trip around it.

Weather though is my biggest concern and would like to get some input on what is too much weather for this 33 Hunter and any other simple tips and advice would be helpful

Ive watched hours of videos on sailing so I have a general idea how it all works

Thanks,
Rob
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 10:35   #2

Re: First time on a sailboat

Seas over 6 feet will be uncomfortable, over 10, dangerous. Best thing you can do is find a friend (two is better) with sailing experience and take them with you. You can run straight through in 24 hours or so. Congratulations on the new boat.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 10:44   #3

Rob, welcome. Thanks for asking. It doesn't appear that you are actually asking how to sail the boat. It would appear that if you have any doubts about that, then the most likely approach would be to just motor. Easy to find weather windows with the quality of forecasting. I have a 34 foot boat. I motored all the way from San Francisco to Vancouver Island in 2016, a series of day trips, harbor hopping. I know how to sail. I wanted to get there. Sailing upwind would have made each day longer. I can sail when I want to at my leisure. This was a delivery trip. I waited for calm days to motor north. So is your trip a delivery. Learn to sail after you get home. Learn what your boat can do later. I know folks with the same boat I have who are scared to go out if it is going to blow 15 kts. I revel in 25 knots. Hard to say about boats' abilities alone, it is the skipper and his knowledge, too. Don't push against bad weather, wait, wait, wait it out. Don't sail on a schedule. Good luck, have a safe and pleasant journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 11:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Rob, welcome. Thanks for asking. It doesn't appear that you are actually asking how to sail the boat. It would appear that if you have any doubts about that, then the most likely approach would be to just motor. Easy to find weather windows with the quality of forecasting. I have a 34 foot boat. I motored all the way from San Francisco to Vancouver Island in 2016, a series of day trips, harbor hopping. I know how to sail. I wanted to get there. Sailing upwind would have made each day longer. I can sail when I want to at my leisure. This was a delivery trip. I waited for calm days to motor north. So is your trip a delivery. Learn to sail after you get home. Learn what your boat can do later. I know folks with the same boat I have who are scared to go out if it is going to blow 15 kts. I revel in 25 knots. Hard to say about boats' abilities alone, it is the skipper and his knowledge, too. Don't push against bad weather, wait, wait, wait it out. Don't sail on a schedule. Good luck, have a safe and pleasant journey.
Yes not really trying to learn on the trip just want to get it home. That dont mean I wont try to sail it
Old 29-11-2017, 11:36   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

The boat is going to take more than you are!!!! I don't know what power boats you have been on the past years, but if it is 30-35' boat go out in the same conditions as you on them. Just take enough fuel in case or have a plan to get some if needed.
Old 29-11-2017, 11:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The boat is going to take more than you are!!!! I don't know what power boats you have been on the past years, but if it is 30-35' boat go out in the same conditions as you on them. Just take enough fuel in case or have a plan to get some if needed.
I figured it would be similar to a 33' cruiser. Ive had dozens of cruisers, center consoles in the 30-40' range. I would be hoping that its a better ride than a cruiser of the same size ??

Anyone with first hand experience of ride quality between sailboat and cruiser of the same size would love to hear it
Old 29-11-2017, 16:56   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I was behind a 40’ power cruiser last year crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas and then it was a rocking! It was like a sailboaters dream, running down a power boat. Later at the marina talking with him I said it was kind of rolly, he on the other hand had choice words.

Now if I hadn’t had sails up things may have been different.
Old 29-11-2017, 17:15   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Now if I hadn’t had sails up things may have been different.

This is the key, as long as there is enough wind to fill the sails they stabilize the boat extremely well.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 17:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This is the key, as long as there is enough wind to fill the sails they stabilize the boat extremely well.
Even with NO wind, the sails up DO stabilize the boat. Try it sometime.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 17:48   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD527 View Post
Yes not really trying to learn on the trip just want to get it home. That dont mean I wont try to sail it
Suggestion: If you have the time then take the learning opportunity. As suggested, sign up an experienced friend or two. Just be aware that not all good sailors are good instructors...choose wisely.

I used to run a lot of "instructional deliveries" with the new owner aboard as student-crew (ran many in Florida). My goal was for them to be handling the boat mostly without my assistance by the time we got to her new home. Its a very good way go learn aboard your own boat. (Not a sales pitch, but a learning suggestion. Im sure there are other instructors you could enlist for this ). 😆

One key difference between power and sail is that, in the right conditions, a sailing vessel is faster under sail than power. Choose a good weather window and enjoy the majic of sailing.

Re ride feel. In general, varies by specific boat, but: A typical power cruiser is relatively flat bottomed, staying up on plane in rough seas can be punishing, and can get rolly when off plane...Catch 22. By contrast, a monohull sailing vessel under sail tends to handle rough seas quite well...and the hull shape plows thru seas pretty well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 18:23   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Rob!
I always motor with the main up. It helps stabilize the boat. In no wind you may not notice much difference between motoring a powerboat and a sailboat except that the sailboat won't have the umpf the powerboat does. But if there is any wind and the boat starts to heel a little with the wind, that is a good thing. The boat, though it is leaning on its side, will be more stable, with less roll than a powerboat. You can leave the main up like that if the wind rises to 15 knots or so as long as you are not leaning (heeling) over 15 degrees or so. Not so good on the engine to motor with it heeled over as far as available oil for the engine. As the windspeed picks up it will be time to attend to the angle the wind is hitting the sail. If you are headed right into the wind, the sail will be flapping like a flag (called luffing) and is not helping you at all. Better then to turn to port or starboard to let the sail fill and assist you. If the wind is coming right across your beam, let the boom out by releasing the line controlling it called the mainsheet until it just starts to lose its nice curved wing shape and then pull it back in a bit. If you have enough wind that you find you are getting more drive off the sail than the engine, time to shut the engine down and enjoy the ride. Here is an article that may help too:
https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...f-motorsailing
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 05:24   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 05:59   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

I think the short answer is that a tail wind would be something you'd really appreciate. If you're into the wind, anything over 10-15 knots is going to be uncomfortable and probably a bit frustrating.

If it were me I'd look for an east wind, stick to the coast which will give you a bit of cover and flatter seas. And you won't have to worry about a lee shore.

The wind in and of itself is more a function of giving you boost from behind or slowing you if on the bow. It's more the sea state that you should be concerned about if you want to make time and be comfortable.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 06:39   #14

Hello Rob
i assume you get an used one, be sure that all rigging are ok otherwise you risk have your mast down . Enjoy it
Max
massimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:26   #15

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Take a sailor with you, there are many in Florida who will go and help, but you will need to feed them.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat