Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 17:11   #46

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: First Thief Experience

Jacksonville has earned a bad rep in general. Most of the people I know would not even travel there by car. It's a shame. Glad no one was hurt, and they didn't get your tender.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 17:40   #47

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Is theft a southern thing? Our marina is wide open. No dinghies are locked, some boats aren’t either. Grills, tools, etc all left out. Good local kids come to fish, bad local kids know if something goes missing they’re going to have a conversation before cops are called. Suspicious people seen in town are made aware they need to go elsewhere. Maybe it’s an urban thing?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 18:04   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Is theft a southern thing? Our marina is wide open. No dinghies are locked, some boats aren’t either. Grills, tools, etc all left out. Good local kids come to fish, bad local kids know if something goes missing they’re going to have a conversation before cops are called. Suspicious people seen in town are made aware they need to go elsewhere. Maybe it’s an urban thing?
A Southern thing? Dat funny boy...where you been north of the Mason-Dixon line?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 18:10   #49

Paint ball can be an effective non lethal defense. They sell specific munitions for this purpose.
Solid rubber, glass, pepper filled or teargas filled balls are all easily purchased online (Amazon)
It is my opinion most thieves will flee if confronted rather than fight. Exception would be if they get cornered, offer an easy escape route and leave a mark. Let the police do the apprehension.
In the event someone comes aboard armed with intent to harm I would rather have a paintball gun than an air horn.
Hoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 23:50   #50

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2 View Post
Paint ball can be an effective non lethal defense. They sell specific munitions for this purpose.
Solid rubber, glass, pepper filled or teargas filled balls are all easily purchased online (Amazon)
It is my opinion most thieves will flee if confronted rather than fight. Exception would be if they get cornered, offer an easy escape route and leave a mark. Let the police do the apprehension.
In the event someone comes aboard armed with intent to harm I would rather have a paintball gun than an air horn.
Everyone has their opinion about protecting their property and person. To add to your scenario one that could match closer to the OPs situation, someone comes onboard to steal your dinghy and sees you pull pistol on them, aka a paintball gun. They have a gun on them and decide to fire first.
I'll protect myself and family. I'm not taking unnecessary risks for replacable property. Convincing a potential boarder that other targets are better choices is the way I go about protecting property.
But I appreciate others have different approaches to property, especially in Florida - where I grew up.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 23:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2 View Post
If you are going to pull a gun, you shoot to kill. They will feel cornered with a gun drawn on them in the dark and they won't know if it's real gun, paint balls or pepper spray..
- A wounded guy can still shoot back.
- A dead guy can't tell a different story.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:32   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
First Thief Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

I think it’s more of an Urban thing, for some reason crime is less in small towns.
I believe it’s to some extent as simple as everyone knows everyone else in a small town.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:29   #53

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think it’s more of an Urban thing, for some reason crime is less in small towns.
I believe it’s to some extent as simple as everyone knows everyone else in a small town.
Yes, I think its more of an urban thing. More population density typically = more problems. Larger population creates more anonymity...thieves prefer to be unknown.

There are exceptions of course. Not all small towns/villages are populated by good people, but I think most are....except maybe in Yankee cultures. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:00   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I lived for a year in Ozark Alabama, a tiny town. I honestly didn’t even have keys for the house, and people not only didn’t lock their vehicles, they left the keys in them. Crazy things were common, it was raining so you come home and the UPS man has opened your front door and put the packages in the hall, neighbor comes by to welcome you and you aren’t home so they put the pie in the fridge with a note.
Unbelievable town, like Mayberry on Andy Griffith.
But 25 miles away, you had better lock up
Old 04-02-2019, 05:16   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Far as Brunswick and theft goes:

When I was there a little ago over a year someone had their wheelchair stolen righ off the dock. You don’t get much lower than that. There were lots issues there in spite of there security guy there all night.

There are known high theft against boater areas in Florida. They are popular places like St Augustine, Green Cove Springs, Marathon. We like to think otherwise, but boating has its share of lowlife scum.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:25   #56

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It's a southern thing. The hotter it gets the more theft you find.

The biggest city in the United States is New York. Boat type theft is unheard of. Yet in a rinky dink city like Jacksonville, it's rampant.

It's a southern thing.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:46   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

Rampant??

I like when people make up “facts”. Talking with the people here in the marina this is the first issue here.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bad thing on the Wheelchair incident was that it’s almost certain that it was another cruiser, one that had anchored there for a day or so.
It was a high end Titanium chair, guy who owned it was I believe ex Special Forces.
How low life do you have to be to steal a wheelchair?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:37   #59

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Bad thing on the Wheelchair incident was that it’s almost certain that it was another cruiser, one that had anchored there for a day or so.
It was a high end Titanium chair, guy who owned it was I believe ex Special Forces.
How low life do you have to be to steal a wheelchair?

Not to say you're wrong- but when stuff goes MIA here (chairs, umbrellas, flags, etc.) they usually wind up in the water. Sometimes we find them, sometimes we don't.

Back on the topic of crime and region/ environment: on Lake Ontario very few marina docks (none I can think of) are gated. In Hawai'i virtually all are gated. Along the lakeshore no homes/ cottages have bars on windows, which is more common down south, and very common in Central America.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:45   #60

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Rampant??

I like when people make up “facts”. Talking with the people here in the marina this is the first issue here.
Rampant. I lost a kayak, a RIB, an outboard, a 65 lb anchor taken from my bow and a bicycle taken ftom my stern.

The entire St John's River is an unsafe place to keep boats. Just ask around the cruising community. Everyone knows this. So many people's boats are stripped of valuables there, it's ridiculous. Winches torn from decks, electronics pulled out, etc.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc