Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 15:46   #1

First Solo Today

I still have no idea what I am doing, but it sure was a blast. I have a nice playground outside the Little Creek jetties with little boat traffic.

It was pretty easy down wind, but I stalled her when I attempted to turn for tacking back into the wind. I fumbled around for a few minutes until I finally caught some wind.

The tips I received from some of the members about the proper way to store the jib made things pretty easy when it came to attaching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Solo.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	89837   Click image for larger version

Name:	First Solo 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	89838  

Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:00   #2

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip
Re: First Solo Today

Congrats, isn't it just the best to be out quiet away from distractions!
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 17:03   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

That's great! Congratulations :-) I love the feeling when it's just me and my boat. It's always nice when there are guests onboard, but senses are heightened and I feel more present when single-handing. It's also nice to know you can go anywhere whether you have an extra hand or not.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 17:37   #4

Boat: Cascade 36

A fairly large percentage of the time I'm sailing single handed and I love it! Even when I'm out with my best friend I ddon't feel as good or relaxed about the sailing. Maybe that means I don't play well with others....

For advice on single handing, I would just ease into things. The first few times out I always had the engine on and I always had the main reefed. After I got comfortable and got to know the boat better I let the reef out and/or turned the engine off.
The first several sails where always in South San Diego Bay in the middle of the week. I had a decently large area all to myself. After a while I started going out of the bay. Every time I got to a point where I was uncomfortable I slowed down or backed off and figured out what the issue was and worked on it. Heck, after a while I got to the point where I was running all day down to the Coronado Islands and back flying an asymmetrical.
It just takes time out getting comfortable with the boat and learning its systems and how it reacts to varying conditions.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 19:29   #5

Boat: Coronado 23

Congratulations!! I also just did my first solo sail yesterday. A quick couple of turns in the harbor but extremely satisfying. I can't wait for the next trip.
kdarling is offline   Reply With Quote