Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 05:33   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: First Sailboat. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I sailed quite a bit on a Catalina 22. I think they are a great first boat for lake sailing provided you aren't on Lake Michigan in Jan.

They are tender, but very forgiving. Love Sunfishes, but they are NOT very forgiving of mistakes. We got caught by a small summer squall( pop up storms happen in the subtropics) in a protected lake and there was enough room in the cabin for 3 crew, 2 in the cockpit. Dropped the sails, motored for an hour back to the marina ,it was fine and we had wind gusts of over 35 knots. I would have hated to be caught in that on a Sunfish.

I think the cabin will be a little tight for someone of your height but really, anything smaller than 35 feet or so is going to be tight. If you like camping and don't get put off by sleeping in smaller tents, you'll be fine. They are plentiful, simple and can usually be purchased for a bargain price.

Good luck with your search!

I completely agree with you. Whatever the OP gets, he's going to have to learn to change clothes sitting down.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 05:38   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: First Sailboat. Help!

I'm going to make a fresh suggestion for the OP.

Catalina 22' is a great boat for his purposes IMO. I have a friend who wanted to do exactly what he wants to do and bought a Hunter 19'. For whatever reason she didn't like it, and had it for sale within 6 months.

What a bother.

You say there's a marina on your lake. Go to the marina manager and find out who has this type of boat. Network with them. The people I know who have this size of boat love them dearly and are excited to show them to others -- and take people out on them. I think all you have to do is get the Tom-Toms going, and you'll get to sail on a number of them. Sailors are so friendly and gracious for the most part!

AND ... then, when you do get your boat -- even if it's a month from now --- you'll have a little experience under your belt, and even that small exposure will greatly enhance your experience and shorten (and flatten) your learning curve.

There may be other marinas within, say, 90 miles of you. You could have a lot of fun sampling other people's small boats, and you'd be more likely to buy something that is a good compromise for you (they're all compromises, by the way, no matter how big they get).
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote