Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 05:05   #1

First Sailboat

The title says it all. My wife and I are looking for our first sailboat. I'm on Long Island and am interested in a Daysailer or smaller boat. Looking for recommendations. Most of my sailing aquaintences say just get a 22-25 footer and have at it. My first instinct was a sunfish for simplicity but I fear I'd get bored of it to quickly. Ideally I want something towable, as in every trip. Easy to set up and break down. And something that candle handle slightly rougher conditions than a Sunfish or Laser can handle. Something on a good day I could sail across the sound or along the shoreIine. I don't really have the free time to warrant spending the money on a slip or morning just yet. So trailerability is key. Potentially something with a swing keel/centerboard and step down mast or the ability to make it a step down mast later on. I've been looking at O'Day Daysailer, Rhodes, Javelins. AMF Sunbirds. Any other recommendation?
vwjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 06:56   #2

Boat: 1984 Hobie Holder 12'
Re: First Sailboat

I'm subscribing because I'm looking for something similar. Good luck.
Salt to Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:02   #3

Here are a few that look nice in your area:

https://longisland.craigslist.org/bo...938419162.html

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/s...941678360.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bo...939045151.html

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/p...960737614.html

Something on the bigger end of your parametres, but looks in good nick and you and the admiral could actually over-weekend on this one:

https://providence.craigslist.org/bo...953077359.html

(And you're right. You'll definitely want something with main and jib so you'll have the parallel learning to enable (possible eventual?) transition to a bigger boat.

Fair winds!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:04   #4

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Sure, Oday Day sailer (Ds17), Wayfarer, CL16, Mirror. You probably don't need a weighted centre board. Just dragging around extra weight for nothing. Your body is the ballast on these boats. And more efficient ballast because its in the right place.

Something like a CL16 or DS 17 is pretty hard to flip in normal sailing conditions.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:07   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwjay View Post
The title says it all. My wife and I are looking for our first sailboat. I'm on Long Island and am interested in a Daysailer or smaller boat. Looking for recommendations. Most of my sailing aquaintences say just get a 22-25 footer and have at it. My first instinct was a sunfish for simplicity but I fear I'd get bored of it to quickly. Ideally I want something towable, as in every trip. Easy to set up and break down. And something that candle handle slightly rougher conditions than a Sunfish or Laser can handle. Something on a good day I could sail across the sound or along the shoreIine. I don't really have the free time to warrant spending the money on a slip or morning just yet. So trailerability is key. Potentially something with a swing keel/centerboard and step down mast or the ability to make it a step down mast later on. I've been looking at O'Day Daysailer, Rhodes, Javelins. AMF Sunbirds. Any other recommendation?
You'll probably get bored on the larger boat way faster than you would on a Sunfish or Laser when the winds are up.

Small boats like those can give you all you can handle in a breeze.......especially as a beginner
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:14   #6

Good news and bad. The bad is that if you trailer a sailboat you pretty much have to plan on 30-45 minutes to raise or lower the mast at each end of your day on the water. Here's a good series of pictures of raising the mast on a Tanzer 22
https://tyl.io/svsunshinedaydream/Vk...on-a-tanzer-22
The good is that you do save a lot of money and the mechanics don't vary much from boat to boat, so you have choices. I've sailed Tanzer 22s and San Juan 21s on the Sound and either would meet your needs well. You might also look for a Freedom 21 with an unstayed rig that would save a fair amount of rigging time.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:34   #7

O Day Mariner 2+2
would be a good choice
Big owners group, parts are available
Good used ones can be had for 3 or 4 thousand.
Much better than the daysailer for what you want to do
Still be made by Rhodes
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:53   #8

I think, from what I can understand, that something 17-21 ft or so would be good. Once you get to 25 or 26 ft towing becomes more involved, as well as set up. Also, the bigger you get the more you need 4 wd tow car, ramps are slippery and 2wd just doesn't cut it. But with a 17-19 ft boat they are light weight enough to not be a hassle.
A Sunfish or Laser are more of a water sport type of thing.
There are lots of appropriate boats, some mentioned above for sure.
On the stout heavier overnight style:
Cape Dory Typhoon
Montgomery 17 or 19
Many lighter ones than those out there too
etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You'll probably get bored on the larger boat way faster than you would on a Sunfish or Laser when the winds are up.

Small boats like those can give you all you can handle in a breeze.......especially as a beginner
My problem is not the excitement level of a Sunfish, it's the fact that you can't travel any significant distance on the water with one. It's local to the launch area use only. I like to travel one the water. Across the Long Island sound to CT, from port to port on the North shore of LI that sort of thing. The plan is someday if this turns into something we both enjoy is move up to a larger boat and travel the New England coast by water. I do have my eye on a local sunfish that's a reasonable price and in decent condition and I may buy it even with the plans of a Daysailer. My wife grew up on them and some Hobie Cats so she loves them. My rational is that on a Daysailer. In low/no wind conditions I can still putt around with an outboard. That and they should be able to handle at least a little bit more chop so I'm not limited to "perfect" days only to sail. No sailing freindly lakes near me so I'm at the mercy of the Sound, the South Bay or the ocean.
Old 21-08-2019, 08:58   #10

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Heres a vid of a couple who cruised there Daysailer 17 on the Labrador Sea. Lots of similar trips have been done in Wayfarers.

They are both proper little camp cruisers in the right hands.

https://youtu.be/Mm8xjwYqR_U
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danm1 View Post
Good news and bad. The bad is that if you trailer a sailboat you pretty much have to plan on 30-45 minutes to raise or lower the mast at each end of your day on the water. Here's a good series of pictures of raising the mast on a Tanzer 22
https://tyl.io/svsunshinedaydream/Vk...on-a-tanzer-22
The good is that you do save a lot of money and the mechanics don't vary much from boat to boat, so you have choices. I've sailed Tanzer 22s and San Juan 21s on the Sound and either would meet your needs well. You might also look for a Freedom 21 with an unstayed rig that would save a fair amount of rigging time.
I'm prepared for that. I'm not opposed to slips or moorings. It's just right now I know I'm not going to get to use a boat enough to warrant the expense.
Old 24-08-2019, 14:33   #12

So I've been looking and searching and I think an O'Day mariner may be a front runner so far. Seems like a good size and I like that it has a basic v-birth instead or just storage.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat