Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 07:16   #1

Boat: O'Day 34
First Post Intro

Hi All,
Just purchased my first cruiser (sporadic, lifetime sailer/owner of smaller craft) - a 1982 O'Day 34, shoal draft. Just moved to the Florida panhandle. The previous owner had only sailed it six times so had limited knowledge of the boat to pass on so anyone with knowledge of the model here who can give advice is welcome to pass it on to me!

My first questions:

- what kind of lubrication to use on the mast - the mainsail was rather difficult going up the track.

- Best (value) cleaner/conditioner for the no-slip deck.
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 07:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: First Post Intro

Howdy! Welcome aboard CF!

Here is a good place to start looking for opinions on mast track lubricants.

Mast track lubricant - Google Search

More later.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:37   #3

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

G'day, new boat owner,

I use WD40 on the mast track. Cheap and easy to obtain. I tried dry silicon sprays without much success.

James
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 09:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Obi Wan,

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There is an amazing amount of shared knowledge found in the thousands of threads on this forum. If one has a common question, the answers are usually there, often with different possible solutions. The trick is finding those threads and answers as they can be "lost" in the many threads, which are often not titled well.

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 04:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Obi Wan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 04:06   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Welcome to our motley crew! We have no shortage of hands & opinions.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Obi Wan,

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There is an amazing amount of shared knowledge found in the thousands of threads on this forum. If one has a common question, the answers are usually there, often with different possible solutions. The trick is finding those threads and answers as they can be "lost" in the many threads, which are often not titled well.

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.
Steady Hand,
I know how to use Google and Wiki's. However, this is a forum. I've been on forums since there were forums. They are for talking and sharing and asking questions. If you go to a bar to meet a bunch of new people, if you asked a question, and the guy who's always been at the bar said, "we talked about that last week, sorry, you'll have to go look it up in the library," how would that sound? If you don't want to answer questions, fine. If someone else does, that's fine too. If everyone always says, "do a search," or no one answers at all, then the forum dies. And so it goes.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:35   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Ono Wan, bad answer.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 14:33   #9

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Ono Wan, bad answer.

S/V B'Shert
+1. Steady hand gave some very good advice. I'm sure what type of sail track lubricant to use has been discussed.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:03   #10

As I said....if you want to have a friendly forum, you can answer a question (a very simple one at that) or not. You don't need to lecture someone (no matter how politely) on how to do a search. In my opinion, that's not what a forum is about. It's for engaging people. If you don't want to "re-hash" something, then just don't answer.

"Welcome to the forum, now don't ask any questions that have already been asked and answered before."

Sounds kind of silly to me......
Old 07-09-2015, 16:33   #11

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

No one was lecturing you. You were given a link to a question you asked and told how to search for yourself, all good information. Especially for someone joining the forum. a lot of people don't know how to search. I guess this is a lecture but I don't know how else to talk to you.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

For such an experienced forum user, it's a pity you couldn't work out the correct area for a "First Post Intro". Hint: "Meets & Greets".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote