Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 15:16   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: First Boat Purchase - HELP ?

I agree with Maytrix's point identifying the leverage of the buyer's market. however, I had interpreted that the surveyor's value of 32K was at it's present condition and considering the state of the engine.
Old 07-09-2014, 15:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckdog96 View Post
Well, GOOD NEWS! The seller has decided to reduce the price to what the the surveyor had it valued at ($32,000). To me that seems like a pretty good deal!

I am also getting a Yanmar diesel mechanic to tell me how much it would be to bring it up to speed. I don't mind paying for the repairs if they are under $7,000, because I initially offered $39,000. The mechanic is supposed to meet me next Tuesday to give me an estimate on the repairs.

We will see? If it doesn't cost too much to repair, I'll probably buy it... BUT if the repairs are like $10K + FORGET ABOUT IT! So we shall see.

Here's some pictures of her.

Mustang Island Yachts (Rockport, TX)
WADR, that is the most faulty logic I've ever heard.

Would it have been a better deal in that logic if you'd originally offered $42,000????

All of the "boat projects" and "first boat" threads I've ever read (and I've been doing this stuff for over 16 years) have ONE SIMPLE recommendation (and usually a good conclusion):

It simply doesn't work.

For all the reasons given.

But, you're at least open minded somewhat about this.

Take off your blinders?

Just for background, we looked for about an entire YEAR before we found our boat. And we only looked at C34s - ONLY! We saw lots of trash, some good ones, one we even had surveyed but it failed even though it looked OK. We finally found a jewel.

Whatever you decide to do: Nothing but Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 15:43   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Just for background, we looked for about an entire YEAR before we found our boat. And we only looked at C34s - ONLY! We saw lots of trash, some good ones, one we even had surveyed but it failed even though it looked OK. We finally found a jewel.

Whatever you decide to do: Nothing but Good luck.
There can be no argument with this good advice. A longer time seaching and persistance will allow the best result. ...and even when you find what you settle for,- there will always be something better!
Old 07-09-2014, 16:04   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

i think it's incredibly rare that a survey of a boat 10 years old or more won't uncover a few issues. Heck, brand new boats sometimes have problems.

Hoses are standard maintenance. I wouldn't worry about those. Consider getting someone who really knows engines to evaluate the transmission.

Should you pass and keep looking? Hard to say. It all depends on how much you like the boat and what other boats are on the market. There's a cost to continuing to look and pay for more surveys as well. That said, don't buy a boat just because you've invested in a survey.

I owned a Hunter 31 for a few years. Took it to the Bahamas a few times. Was fairly happy with it.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase