Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 00:58   #16

Re: First 6 Weeks Of Marina Life

Living aboard is a great lifestyle. Some marina's have a great live-aboard social scene and you make some amazing friendships that last a lifetime and span the globe.
Live-aboards are generally highly valued as after hours security and also I have spent many many nights going out to rescue furlers that have let go in the winds...
The best part of living aboard is the perfect sleep you always seem to have when on the water!
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:19   #17
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

That's great mate. Walking off the pier texting...classic! I'm wondering if some new type of RSI is going to happen to all these people walking around staring at their phones with there elbow cocked at 90 degrees all the time..
And the seagull, well done you probably saved his life, most of us would have tossed a dead bird overboard for fish food. What were you planning to do with it, mail it to a friend!?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
in my experience, a "pier" is a dock held up with pillings, they tie battleships to! most [99.9%] marinas have what is called "floats" that we tie our money pits to...that`s because they "float", hence the name...most people use the term "docks" for floats...bit of old salty info...c
I know I know..... 20 years navy has developed habits of terminology that are hard to break. Engine room sailors are the worst when it come to things like terminology, seamanship, and knots. That's why we are called "snipes". We lived in a different world from the rest of the sailors onboard.

Here is a quick interesting & fun read about navy engineroom sailors.

They are called Snipes because....... - Navy For Moms
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 16:50   #19

OMG- that is hilarious! You are having way too good of a time and we are getting envious! Always say life is stranger (and better) than fiction and you are living it! Can't wait to hear about the next 6 weeks....

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 16:53   #20

BTW-- Sea ray sinking is not hilarious. But wow! that is not something seen every day!
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:23   #21

Boat: Bavaria 38

Hi there,

I am also started to live on my boat at the marina here in Norway. It is fun to see the no matter where same things happen...lol..
I also have a fun story that happen not to long ago.. the people in the slip next to me, as they were coming back from there day trip, his wife got order to stand up front, while he was driving in to the slip quit fast, she screaming.. trying to climb over the handrail and jump on the dock... while he has released that it was a bit fast and set in full reverse gear, the rest of this story was the hit .. she went over board in to the cold water (Norway waters right now about 9 degree), he drifting up now and no change to get in the slip...lol..lol.. we help her out,... after it was not much talk next door.. however the boat is for sale now....
Romko is offline   Reply With Quote