Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 16:09   #1

Findings After Survey (Buy or not)

For an 1985 Prout catamaran.

The surveyor found :

Hulls:
Finding: Higher than normal levels of moisture detected in the internal and
external sides of the starboard hull at the quarter.

Hulls cosmetics:
Finding: Stress cracking observed on the exterior side of the port hull at the
beam and bow and on the interior side of the port hull at the bridge deck joint.
Additionally, there was a 39-inch by 12-inch professional repair to the topsides
on the beam on the port hull where the gelcoat no longer completely matched
the rest of the hull.

Hull Bottom:
Finding: An unprofessional repair to the fiberglass was observed on the
underside of the starboard forward section of the bridge deck. Stress cracking
was also observed around the repair.

Bottom Paint:
Finding: Pock marks and peeling noted in the bottom paint.
Blisters: Finding: Indications of old blisters observed under the bottom paint on the keel
of each hull. Blisters were from 1/2-inch to 2 1/2-inches in diameter.

Rudders:
Moisture/delamination: Finding: Higher than normal levels of moisture detected in each rudder above
the bottom paint. Some delamination heard in the interior side of the port
rudder below the waterline when tested with a phenolic hammer. Some
delamination noted in both rudders when viewed with the infrared camera.

Deck Surface:
Finding: Higher than normal levels of moisture detected in the deck around the two windlasses and on the starboard section of the bow.

Ports:
Finding: Crazing/microcracking observed in the forward fixed ports/windows.

There is more but, I find the "Higher than normal moisture" scary enough to walk away......

I'm correct?
Espiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 16:27   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Findings After Survey (Buy or not)

Depends on what normal is. Which is a moving target, and largely a function of the surveyors individual experience.

This is one of this reports that you have to weigh against your budget, your appetite for repairs/refit, and your concern for cosmetics.

Also, where has the boat been the last six months and what condition is the gelcoat in? Chalked gelcoat is like a sponge.

The rudders would give me pause. Unless I was ready to cut them open and fix what I found.
Old 09-03-2019, 17:04   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

What does your surveyor say? He is the person who will have the best idea if she is worth fixing/buying.
For me it all comes down to price, if the price reflects the condition the Prout is in then maybe its worth buying. No boats going to be perfect you look at, often some of my customers are better of buying new since they are not willing to accept any boat that has issues.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:27   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473

Rudders are a relatively easy fix even if wet and delaminated. Stress cracks at the beam can be the result of a very hard docking, or several or that could be storm damage. The boat could have been banging into the dock over a period of time during a blow. That can certainly be a costly issue to repair and a problem if left unrepaired. The moisture could be traced to that as well. I don't know if the Prout hulls were cored above the waterline. If so the recommendation would be get all the wet core material out. You can imagine what that would imply in cost and time. Before you walk away get a ROM estimate for repairs...worst case. If the hull is cored and wet it might be difficult to price that but it's not a death sentence for the boat. If the good is equal to the bad..in your estimation, make an offer taking into account what it will cost to get it in good condition. If you want the boat. Otherwise move on to the next one.. From an insurance standpoint you would almost certainly need to address the moisture since it came out on the survey.

If you are passing it's unfortunate that had to purchase a survey. But you can use it as a great learning tool. You know what the problem areas looked like, armed with that info you can do a great preliminary inspection of the next boat. And the next and the next. If you see similar issues or worse you can pretty much bet the surveyor would not overlook the problems. You can weed out the boats you know won't get a favorable report.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:47   #5

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiros View Post
For an 1985 Prout catamaran.

The surveyor found :

Hulls:
Finding: Higher than normal levels of moisture detected in the internal and
external sides of the starboard hull at the quarter.

Hulls cosmetics:
Finding: Stress cracking observed on the exterior side of the port hull at the
beam and bow and on the interior side of the port hull at the bridge deck joint.
Additionally, there was a 39-inch by 12-inch professional repair to the topsides
on the beam on the port hull where the gelcoat no longer completely matched
the rest of the hull.

Hull Bottom:
Finding: An unprofessional repair to the fiberglass was observed on the
underside of the starboard forward section of the bridge deck. Stress cracking
was also observed around the repair.

Bottom Paint:
Finding: Pock marks and peeling noted in the bottom paint.
Blisters: Finding: Indications of old blisters observed under the bottom paint on the keel
of each hull. Blisters were from 1/2-inch to 2 1/2-inches in diameter.

Rudders:
Moisture/delamination: Finding: Higher than normal levels of moisture detected in each rudder above
the bottom paint. Some delamination heard in the interior side of the port
rudder below the waterline when tested with a phenolic hammer. Some
delamination noted in both rudders when viewed with the infrared camera.

Deck Surface:
Finding: Higher than normal levels of moisture detected in the deck around the two windlasses and on the starboard section of the bow.

Ports:
Finding: Crazing/microcracking observed in the forward fixed ports/windows.

There is more but, I find the "Higher than normal moisture" scary enough to walk away......

I'm correct?
While price and patience have a role, the one question I ask myself, "Does this look like neglect or just age?" If the latter, then I asked I'm willing to bring it back. If neglect, I walk away because if there are these, there will be more as I get into it.

You didn't say where the boat is. If it is in one of the latest hurricane areas, I would think twice. Good that you had a survey done; compared the alternative, it was money well spent.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:29   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

If the boat fits your intended use and you like it - get a bid to make all the repairs, and reduce the price. If you intend to do the repairs yourself you'll be paid for it.

Then take the amount bid above and double it - that's what the rest of the boat will cost in repairs the first 2 years you own it. The boat is 44 years old! if it's been sailed or cruised a lot there will be water intrusion and more, especially around the windlass, hatches, thru-hulls, and all ports let along if there was blunt trauma to a few places. They all need to be removed, core fixed around the openings, repotted, bedded, sealed. IF the rudders are tired so are the motor mounts, couplings, shaft logs, linkages, rudder tubes and bearings.

Have you been up the mast and visited every rivet, nut, bolt, tang, and swage? surveyors never do that, but surely the rig will need something in its middle age.

Good luck. The brand name is good and holds value, the design is good and holds value, the "stuff" is old and needs time and treasure. This is the perfect boat for someone.
Old 10-03-2019, 18:07   #7

Boat: C&C

Found a lot of the type of stuff your talking about 9 years ago when we surveyed and purchased our existing cat. But our price reflected the above type of work and we didn't mind doing some of it ourselves and contracting what was over our heads. So we had the hulls soda blasted, then opened up the keels and rudders, dug out all the crap, filled with West foam and epoxy , then inter-protected bottom and bottom coated with paint of our choice. we've since had a great time sailingThe Bahamas and enjoying the fruits of our labor! But a project like this is not for the faint of heart! It's no different than redoing a house. You don't know what's inside them walls till you open them up! Then, be prepared to deal with it whether or not you can handle it or use a professional. Our's is now up for sale due to health and family issues. PM me and I'll send you some details if your interested in a 1992 Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37 cat. Presently in Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, will be back in Lauderdale before the end of the month.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:31   #8

Pretty much ignore moisture meter readings. Seriously, they're a joke.

Stress fractures on the other hand are to be taken very seriously, they're telling you where failure is about to occur.

Delamination is not a good sign either however it does sort of depend on other factors......like price for example.

Good luck
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:43   #9

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The is nothing startling in the survey of a 34 year old boat. I suspect most of us would be able to anticipate much of the findings. Frankly, if you aren’t willing to take on the problems of an old boat, you might be better off changing your expectations.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:36   #10

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Pretty much ignore moisture meter readings. Seriously, they're a joke.

Stress fractures on the other hand are to be taken very seriously, they're telling you where failure is about to occur.

Delamination is not a good sign either however it does sort of depend on other factors......like price for example.

Good luck
In a foam core, I agree. In a balsa core, no way.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:53   #11

You need to be realistic.

A 1985 boat is 35 year old. There will be problems.
Prout not my choice, Don't know anything about them, Old boats will have a few blisters, rudders delaminate, Old boat decks will probably have some moisture. particularly if the have lots of studs for canvas.

Ask the surveyor what he thinks. Is it reasonable condition for age or is in not.

Depends on the price.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:00   #12

Not only does it depend on price, but do you want a boat you can go use or do you want a long term project...
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Take a look at Moisture Meter Mythology
Old 11-03-2019, 08:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thanks. It is so true. I been looking for that piece for years. I had it an lost it,
lelolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:32   #15

@wannacat, Looking at a cat with similar work needed to be done. Can you share a rough estimate of costs for keels? Also, how long did it take to dry it out (assuming it is foam core and not balsa)?
Patcheloupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey