Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2011, 19:54   #1

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft
Finally Bought a Sailboat

Yaay, ive been researching sailing for a good 4 years now. I dont feel im much further ahead knowledge wise, i decided to spend some money and get a boat. While trying to decide between a 21 foot and a 16foot evans. I ended up buying the evans 16, small open cabin great for learning i hope.
Most people told be to take sailing lessons, unfortunately i am pretty sure i cant afford it. So i did learn how to rig up my boat, asked owner and he was pretty good at explaining some things.
I was all excited about it now i am kind of getting scared since i was reading that being a meteorologist is a pre-requisite of sailing ( a bit of an exageration). Basically all i know is to look on the weather channel and see the wind speed and direction it blows from.

Any advice on picking weather would be appreciated.

Andrei

Old 14-08-2011, 20:10   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Congrats on the boat! I'm sure it'll prove to be the best choice..

When I sailed my 14 foot boardboat around the lakes in Ohio, I relied entirly on the current days forecast. It wasn't always right (of course) but it wa usually close enough. Rain is no big deal, especially in the summer, but lightning is a no-no. Weather happens pretty slowly, if you see lightning coming, just head in...

Wind is dependant on the boat. Can you reef the sails? My little boat was a lateen rig and could not be reefed, so if the wind grew strong, I had no option but to sail FAST it turned out to be a lot of fun the few times I was worried about it. I had my boat out in winds over 15kts on more than one occasion. It did become tough to handle at timed, especially getting the sail up and down, but I muttled through it and never had any problems.

Light wind is your wost enemy. A small boat like that will move a few knots in just about any wind, but it will get hot and boring if the wind is under 5kts. No wind is much worse than too high winds. On lakes, you'll survive anything... Just go with the wind pedictions and try to avoid thunderstorms, you'll be fine.

Old 14-08-2011, 20:19   #3

PS: I also had no sailing experience when I bought that boat. I just muttled through it and became quite the little sailer by the end of the summer.

When you have those little bouts of fear, you have to just push though it and do it anyway. You'll never learn if you don't take a few chances. Stand up! And go sailing! You'll thank yourself for it later
Old 14-08-2011, 21:00   #4

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft
Re: Finally bought a sailboat

I am not sure if the sails can be reefed or not. From what i have seen on google, my sails are definitely not a lateen rig. Even if they can be reefed tho im not sure id know how to do that.

At the moment i have the motor at the mechanic, rebuilding carbs on a 75 johnson 4hp it came with. Figured to be safe i should have a motor on there as well.
I have been practising raising the mast in the driveway almost had it go through my kitchen window.
I am lucky we have a few closed off areas from the large lake (ontario) that can be sailed quite calmly.

Right now i am looking to get myself a marine radio see if i can listen in on some of the chatter around. ( dono if thats rude or not) Also seems i have to learn morse code ... weird but ok.

As for boring, im sure i can handle it. Ive heard a few people fish off sailboats so i can try that ... reading.
Old 14-08-2011, 21:46   #5

You probably don't need to worry much about morse code. I heartell the bouys in the main channel on the Chesapeake blink in morse code, but that didn't prevent me from sailing down the bay

I sailed a bit on lake Michigan, and I suspect you won't hear a lot of chatter on the radio, but it's definitly a good idea to get one. Just get a handheld marine VHF and that will be plenty. You can call marinas ahead if you plan on stopping in, if you'd like, but it's not even necessary... You may have the occasion to contact a passing ship to let them know your intentions, generally they'll contact you first (on Chanel 16) if they have any question about you... The main reason to have a VHF is to call for help if you ever really need it, for that reason alone, it's good to have. Weather reports are also nice on the radio out on the water, instead of relying on what you heard before you set out..

Stay in the bay (or cove, or whatever) and get the hang of things. You'll know when the time is right to venture out further...

Don't worry about reefing for your first few sails, just go on days with 10kts or less predicted wind... If it becomes to difficult, for any reason, just drop the sails and figure out your next move.

You'll be fine
Old 15-08-2011, 16:38   #6

Boat: Seaward 25
Re: Finally Bought a Sailboat

Sounds like a great choice of a boat to learn on. As far as a weather report, google a marine forcast in your area. Here's one possibility:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/marine.htm

There will be an offshore forcast and a near shore one by area. Same forcast will be played on the weather station on a marine radio.

Have fun.

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: