Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 06:45   #1

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIslander
Feedback Requested

Hello to all of you fortunate cruisers fixing your boats in paradise! I have an idea that I need some feedback on. I am currently between boats and working for a major airline at a hub with lots of flights to all over the Caribbean. I can fly to most places, on a stand-by basis, for free or for very little money (depending upon the specific destination).
Having been a cruiser and having spent 6 weeks in the Bahamas in need of parts, I think I have an idea...
What do you guys think of "hiring" me to hand deliver your needed boat parts to your location? I'm thinking that the boat owner would order the part(s), have them delivered to my residence, and then I'd hop on a flight to their location (or as close as possible) and get them their goods.
I would charge for any flight and immigration/customs expenses and maybe a nominal fee for my time. But my largest payoff would be having a reason to see some sun and boats!
I know the devil is usually in the details, so that's where you guys come in...what do you think?

Thanks,

Rick
AirborneJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 06:55   #2
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Its only viable for items that are heavy and places that are expensive to ship.

Give some examples of your fees for different destinations

Example

Choose a destination in the following areas
Central America
South America
Western south pacific
Indian ocean
Etc.

I'll leave it to you to figure out the destination.

Also, who is going to ship you valuable items without anyway of knowing you will arrive?

How about setting up a company with the requisite insurance and liability that would allow cruisers to seek damages should you not show up.

Setup costs are minimal and insurance and bonding would not be excessive as well.

For me, I would never ship something important and expensive to someone I didnt know.

Just my two cents

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:00   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

re: Feedback Requested

Heeellll - if ya wanna order boat parts and have them delivered to me, then I'll fly to bring them to you in Bahamas. Or wherever you like. ALl I'll charge is flights (business class), excess baggage, expenses inc meals (since food in the business class lounges is usually so dire) and suitable clothes for the climate such as flip flops (or skis if you're in Canada) and of course a five star hotel when I get there. Oh, and transfers from airport to the beach. And a masseur. And a guy to rub the tanning oil on my back. Plus a few cocktails. And that should be it. Oh, yeah, I'd like to bring my dogs too, so you'll have to buy them each a crate and ticket.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:33   #4

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Having flown employee standby on a major carrier for the past 20+ years, I know what it's like to sit in an airport and watch flight after flight depart without you because they're full. Makes it tough to guarantee when you'll get somewhere. You'd have to have a flexible client and be able to carry on whatever you're couriering. I suppose you could always work flexibility into your rates, but you'll also need to factor in the possible/probable expense of having to find a place to stay should you not get on a return flight right away.

That said, my biggest concern would be what happens when your employer finds that you are using your pass privileges for commercial use (ie not strictly for pleasure trips) in violation of the terms and conditions for employee pass travel. Sounds like a good way to not only get charged full-fare for your flight, but also a good way to lose your pass riding privileges and maybe even your job.
Old 17-01-2012, 09:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Heeellll - if ya wanna order boat parts and have them delivered to me, then I'll fly to bring them to you in Bahamas. Or wherever you like. ALl I'll charge is flights (business class), excess baggage, expenses inc meals (since food in the business class lounges is usually so dire) and suitable clothes for the climate such as flip flops (or skis if you're in Canada) and of course a five star hotel when I get there. Oh, and transfers from airport to the beach. And a masseur. And a guy to rub the tanning oil on my back. Plus a few cocktails. And that should be it. Oh, yeah, I'd like to bring my dogs too, so you'll have to buy them each a crate and ticket.
youv'e been hanging out with too many arab sheiks,their are names for girls like that,that provide a fly in service to yachts..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:50   #6

Thumbs up re: Feedback Requested

Hooo-Rah!
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:56   #7

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIslander
Re: Feedback Requested

Well, I said the devil would be in the details. I am pretty savvy with my stand-by flights and have not had many issues with missing flights (though it, of course, happens from time to time). My carrier has a pretty good booking system and I have a feel for what flights are usually full.

I already own an LLC so the insurance thing wouldn't be such a big deal. But I was more looking for a way to get my flip-flops in the sand while having the trip paid for by providing a service. I guess it does sound a bit far-fetched and selfish even. I can also understand the reluctance to ship expensive boat parts to a stranger, but there was a time I would have given a lot to have a few Perkins parts flown in to me.

Oh well, it was worth a shot!
AirborneJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneJarhead View Post
Well, I said the devil would be in the details. I am pretty savvy with my stand-by flights and have not had many issues with missing flights (though it, of course, happens from time to time). My carrier has a pretty good booking system and I have a feel for what flights are usually full.

I already own an LLC so the insurance thing wouldn't be such a big deal. But I was more looking for a way to get my flip-flops in the sand while having the trip paid for by providing a service. I guess it does sound a bit far-fetched and selfish even. I can also understand the reluctance to ship expensive boat parts to a stranger, but there was a time I would have given a lot to have a few Perkins parts flown in to me.

Oh well, it was worth a shot!
Don't give up the ship. Contact UPS or Fedex to act as a sub contractor.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:39   #9

Boat: 75' 1932 UW Research Vessel

Perhaps you're pitching to the wrong market? When I'm in cruising mode, I am on a limited budget, and a flexible schedule. It makes sense to get parts the cheapest way possible, with schedule delays being an opportunity to get to know an anchorage or marina better than I had planned on doing.

But when I'm in charter mode, time is money, and it is worth spending whatever it takes to not have to cut a charter short (and refund the client's money and buy their plane tickets) or risk canceling a trip or two because of a genset or watermaker that needs a 25$ part.

Try talking with some of the big crewed charter companies, and see if they might have some interest. Face to face would probably be your best bet.

Good luck!
Pacificcatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote