Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-09-2014, 10:06   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Favorite cleaning products

Oh well, I've been using Windex for ages ( 10+ years ) without issues. You do need to hose first or the salt crystals will scratch the plastic.

Old 21-09-2014, 10:11   #17

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

I forgot about barkeeper's friend in my earlier post. It's good on stainless and other metals. If I'm not mistaken one of the main ingredients is oxalic acid. I use pure oxalic acid, you can get it in wood specialty stores, for cleaning rust stains in places where I don't want to use a strong mineral acid like muriatic or where I don't want to scrub with softscrub. It's a little slow acting so you may have to put it on and wait for a while but it works.

I know that there is a serious white vinegar contingent but I'm skeptical. It's a weak acid and I assume that it is the acidity that works. But it will leave behind an organic compound, acetate, and mold just loves organic matter as a substrate. Chlorine bleach works to kill mold and the spores but it can be pretty hard on some materials so I use it with care. If you want another stain remover for fabrics and places where you don't like chlorine...use hydrogen peroxide. Again, it's slow to act but it's less destructive. I add a few drops of dish detergent to the straight 2% hydrogen peroxide to make it penetrate better and use it right away. You can buy quite concentrated hydrogen peroxide online and dilute or use it for specialized applications. I have an aluminum water tank and don't want chlorine products in it so I use concentrated hydrogen peroxide for shocking and cleaning my fresh water system.

Finally, my comment about "Windex". My lovely wife is like the guy in the Big Fat Greek Wedding. But it is really just ammonia (actually ammonium hydroxide solution) with some thickeners that keep it from running down the glass and some scent. Works good for glass but as noted above, it can really fog plastics and many plastics are somewhat reactive. Ooops, same is true of chlorine bleach. They will both accelerate the oxidation process.

'Nuff said
Bill

Old 21-09-2014, 11:28   #18

I forgot to clarify the word " Windex " and there are several varieties. The one to use is called " Crystal Rain " which does not contain ammonia.

Windex® Crystal Rain™ : SC Johnson

As for using vinegar, it works wonders on a boat because it is acidic and most of the dirt is alkaline. Dirt on cabin surfaces tends to be a mixture of salt and grease, sometimes from your hands and sometimes from the stove, and vinegar lifts that straight off. Grabrails and galley knobs are always coated with this grease/salt mix. Wiping with a mixture of warm water and a touch of dishwashing soap will remove the vinegar residue.
Old 21-09-2014, 11:28   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Kerosene in a trigger bottle makes a great degreaser. Warm the engine first. Spray. Wait 5 minutes then hose clean.

From all knowing wiki: "The flash point of kerosene is between 37 and 65 C (100 and 150 F)..."

Have your fire extinguisher handy!
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 11:57   #20

Good grief ! Did I interrupt a cynics convention today or something ?

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, FYI the main ingredient in auto shop aerosol degreaser is . . . . . drumroll please maestro . . . . . . kerosene !

Old 21-09-2014, 12:10   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Good grief ! Did I interrupt a cynics convention today or something ?

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, FYI the main ingredient in auto shop aerosol degreaser is . . . . . drumroll please maestro . . . . . . kerosene !

Perhaps just experience in the industry, and much time in the lab. I've got about 50 test panels in the sun, aging, right now. Comparing cleaners, waxes, and vinyl materials. Much I don't know, a few things I'm relatively sure of.

a. Cars are not confined spaces. Fumes can fall though and ventilate. One reason boaters like diesel engines; no gasoline.
b. They used to be chlorinated solvents (non-flammable products--Berkibile 2+2 owned much of the market, mostly trichlor) until EPA rules made that impractical.
c. There have been fires.

But yes, I sometimes use solvents in boats. Sometimes they work best.

---

Regarding hydrogen peroxide, neither EPA nor WHO list a recommended dose for hydrogen peroxide disinfection of drinking water, which makes it very difficult to recommend. They do not consider it to be an effective disinfectant within the practical treatment range. This is unfortunate for those with aluminum water tanks. I wish I was aware of a proper answer. Dichloroisocyanurinate is ~ 10x less corrosive than bleach towards aluminum and is probably the most practical product for occasional shocking; comes in pills or tablets.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:58   #22

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

---

Regarding hydrogen peroxide, neither EPA nor WHO list a recommended dose for hydrogen peroxide disinfection of drinking water, which makes it very difficult to recommend. They do not consider it to be an effective disinfectant ...
Don't know where that comes from. Neither the WHO or EPA are in the business of "recommending" treatment methods. The latter sets limits. I know. I used to work in EPA.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a very effective disinfectant, has a longer residence time and is safer than chlorine solutions. The only constraint limiting it's popularity is that peroxide is not commonly available in the conc necessary to achieve disinfection.

Tags
cleaning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: