Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 07:49   #226

Boat: Golden Gate 30
Re: Father and his kids missing at sea

Also, USCG is having a press a conference at 1230 EST. Last two they've had were major announcements about debris or bodies.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:33   #227

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Search has been suspended.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:47   #228

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Search has been suspended.
Sad but realistic.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 11:33   #229

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

As far as making EPIRB's mandatory for boats over a certain length-

I think from a public perspective, it costs one helluva lot less for first responders to home in on a EPIRB signal - compared to running endless grid search patterns for days on end with boats and planes on the taxpayers dime.

Most people who claim to be self-sufficient, are really only self-sufficient if everything works perfectly, and accidents never happen. Once they do, it inevitably becomes a public problem, as most of us do not live in a society where we let people die in the streets, or refuse them help if they are not responsible.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 12:10   #230

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Back in the 1980's we would to take our 19ft O'Day off shore all the time with 4-5 people onboard. No radio, nothing except a compass and chart.

I guess that makes us stupid too.

Weather forecasts change, situations change, people accidentally fall overboard, and things can quickly spiral out of control. Many people who've never really experienced this sort of situation, seem to be experts on this thread.

Just a couple of years ago, I helped a friend deliver his 22ft Santana from Portand, ME to Salem, MA in early April. 120 miles with six foot swells and fog overnight using just a 6hp outboard. We didn't have a radio, just an Ipad in a sandwich bag, an Iphone and some blankets and a couple of life jackets, chart and compass. We thought nothing of it, just like the unfortunate family being discussed.

Yep, I guess I'm stupid too.
And me too.

I can't count how many times I've been offshore in my callow youth with no weather report, and nothing but a compass, and I seem to recall one time even without that. I wouldn't do it now, but I'm oh so much older, wiser, and meaner, and how many decades and how many misadventures did it take to get that way.

It's not a pretty sight, to see you guys piling on that poor, dead bastard. The difference between him and us is that he didn't get away with it. At least between him and me. Or maybe you just never sailed before you had $20,000 worth of electronics and a couple of years of training. I sure did.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 12:21   #231
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

https://www.facebook.com/10NewsWTSP/...type=2&theater

A huge thank you to the US Coast Guard for all you guys did in this search, and for doing your jobs every day.

I'm still cruising with out an EPIRB or life raft. I do have a good VHF radio. I doubt you really need more than that for cruising the Florida coast. Anytime the radio is on, you hear radio transmissions from the CG....on either coast of FL. Those guys are never far away, and response time to just about anywhere offshore is going to be pretty quick. Too bad for this family.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 12:45   #232

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

What a tragedy! This whole thing is so very sad.

We sail these waters and conditions change very rapidly. We have had a smooth, quiet day change into 4 - 5 foot seas in a matter of minutes. I think a lot of folks think the Gulf is gentle water. They think there is nothing to sailing down the coast with land in sight, believing they are safe. This, along with a cell phone, may create a false sense of security. I can sure understand how anyone could have made this mistake.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:12   #233

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And me too.

I can't count how many times I've been offshore in my callow youth with no weather report, and nothing but a compass, and I seem to recall one time even without that. I wouldn't do it now, but I'm oh so much older, wiser, and meaner, and how many decades and how many misadventures did it take to get that way.

It's not a pretty sight, to see you guys piling on that poor, dead bastard. The difference between him and us is that he didn't get away with it. At least between him and me. Or maybe you just never sailed before you had $20,000 worth of electronics and a couple of years of training. I sure did.
Ditto, Keno & DH.
IMO, a person that hasn't made a ** at some time, usually hasn't made much.
It is a sad that this turned out so costly. Lifes a risk.

Pretty much an indictment on how miserable a portion of the population is.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:19   #234

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I'm with Dockhead here, as a race (human race) we have prospered because people have risked everything to learn and discover. They were called crazy stupid e.t.c for being different wanting something more or wanting to know what was over hill. Some people confuse society with automatically wanting everyone to conform to some unspoken rules, some people are confused, angry or even jealous when some one wants to be different. I have taken risks and survived along with most of my pears. I don't see it so much anymore. As for the coast guard or any citizen helping another it's what we do...! We are civilized like that and I don't mind some of my tax dollars going to help others, if I got the opportunity to volunteer I would. I have helped many people when they needed it, and will continue to. I also take my son sailing with me... Did I go off topic?
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:28   #235

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A sad situation. All of the second guessing and blaming is useless.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:35   #236

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Yeah... it must have happened fast.... maybe a rogue wave rolled them before they knew what happened..... But why so far out to sea? 37 miles and they were sailing down the coast.... Pretty damned sad with 3 kids...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:38   #237

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Yeah... it must have happened fast.... maybe a rogue wave rolled them before they knew what happened..... But why so far out to sea? 37 miles and they were sailing down the coast.... Pretty damned sad with 3 kids...

Where it happened vs where the debris got found appx 3 days later... You'd have to look up the currents and see where they most likely were at time of sinking.

Stuff just floating on the surface can move a long way in 3 days.

Also... maybe they were running what was thought to be the best direction for survival... and didn't exactly pick where they were on purpose.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:39   #238

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I hate government interference, regulation, red tape and bureaucracy as much as anyone. However, I am sure that at one time or another, life jackets and fire extinguishers were not required equipment either. Yet we all carry those items and don't complain..........

I have carried a PLB for many years, and yes at the time it was expensive. Personally, I think it's foolish to leave the dock without one.

Every-time one of these incidents occurs, like the NFL players out of Clearwater Pass, two teenagers last year in the Atlantic and of course this incident and many more. Rescue may have been possible, IF ONLY, they had one..........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:54   #239

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
...I'm still cruising with out an EPIRB or life raft. I do have a good VHF radio. I doubt you really need more than that for cruising the Florida coast....
Ralph
I thought so too...until we had this puppy circle us for 2+ hours--14 miles--while we were about 20 miles offshore between Naples and Boca Grande. He's a little deep in this shot. A black tip about 7 feet long. Not something I'd want my children to swim with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2170.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	126861  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 14:44   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
He calls and tells a relative he is very worried. Six feet seas. Why didn't this relative stay in touch by calling back an hour or two later? Why did this relative wait 3 days before raising an alarm?

Idiots.
You're assuming that he didn't. Do you know for a fact that he didn't try to call back? Perhaps, in addition to all of the other negligent things the father did, he didn't keep his cell phone charged.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids