Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 05:49   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Father and his kids missing at sea

Didn't know to put this under, just saw on Fox News Online, that a man and his 3 kids, all teenagers, are missing in the Gulf of Mexico in there 29 ft sailboat, it says they lived on the boat, they had left out of Englewood Fl. heading to Ft Myers for repairs, the coast guard is searching for them
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 05:58   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Re: Faher and his kids missing at sea

I've been unable to find much additional info. Some immediate questions;
what sort of repairs were needed and did they affect the sea worthiness of the boat, and what safety equipment was on board; EPIRB, InReach, Radios, Life Raft.

I hope they are all found safe!

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 06:02   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

The report I read said the boat had no name and no radio, saw it on fox breaking news online
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 06:15   #4

The Fox News article said that they'd been dealing with large seas on Sunday, but it looks pretty mild out there now. Even though they had no radio, I hope this boat had the basic safety equipment on it.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:05   #5

Coast Guard Searches for Dad, 3 Teens Missing Off Florida Coast - NBC News

Coast Guard Searches for Dad, 3 Teens Missing Off Florida Coast
by PHIL HELSEL and ELIZABETH CHUCK

The Coast Guard searched through the night off the coast of Florida for a father and his three teenage children after their sailboat went missing.

The 29-foot vessel vanished near Englewood, on the Gulf of Mexico side of the state. It was last seen Sunday morning, according to the Coast Guard.

Officials started searching for them after the man's brother called Tuesday and said the four had left Sarasota at 7 a.m. Sunday and hadn't returned. The family was en route to Fort Myers to do repairs on their sailboat, the brother told the Coast Guard.

The last time the brother had heard from them was at about 3 p.m. Sunday.

"The man called his brother and stated the sailboat was in 6-foot seas and he was attempting to survive with his children offshore of Englewood," the Coast Guard said in a press release.

There was still no sign of the family by Wednesday morning, authorities said. The missing included boys ages 13 and 15 and their 17-year-old sister.

A HC-130 Hercules plane, a Coast Guard cutter and two other boats were involved in the search for the family, who wasn't identified.

Officials were expected to hold a press conference on the search later Wednesday morning.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:29   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Father and his kids missing at sea

I've sailed those waters. Said he left Sarasota for Ft Myers. I was in St Augustine, FL on vacation and Saturday night through Monday morning winds were out of the NE at 30 to 35 knots here with a strong low in the Atlantic south of here. I was looking at Sailflow but not paying much attention to the west coast, but saw high winds predicted down there as I was looking at Florida forecasts on Friday. Reports of this incident were 6 foot waves based on news. You don't have to sail far off shore on that route. If the winds were blowing up 6 foot waves out of the east close in, they only got bigger and worse as time went on and the farther west he got blown. Bet he had no engine. Should have stayed in or motored down the GICW in weather like that. Hope they find them. Sailing on a schedule is never a good thing and even worse with a boat with no radio or com backup.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:21   #7

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I am in Sarasota, think I know the family, weather today is calm God Speed to the search.
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:32   #8

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Type of boat? Maybe it would float if capsized...can't imagine him being too far offshore.... probably run ashore somewhere ?
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:42   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Debris was found 33 miles offshore. Not looking good...
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:46   #10

Boat: American Boat Works 43

June 22, 11:32 a.m. Sarasota, FL — Ace Kimberly and his three teenage children left Sarasota early Sunday morning to take their sailboat in for repairs in Fort Myers. The family hasn’t been seen since.

The U.S. Coast Guard, however, located a debris field about 33 miles offshore of Sanibel early Wednesday morning. Within that debris field, the coast guard found a pair of shoes, a tarp, six lifejackets and a basketball, among other items.

Ace Kimberly’s brother told the coast guard “these items did indeed correlate to his brother’s vessel,” Capt. Gregory Case said during a Wednesday morning press conference about its search for the Kimberly family.

The coast guard began its search for Ace and his three children, Rebecca, 17, Donny, 15, and Roger, 13, after receiving a call from Ace’s brother on Tuesday. The brother, who hasn’t been named by authorities, told watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg that the Kimberly family left Sarasota around 7 a.m. Sunday in the 29-foot sailboat they live on.

The brother heard from Ace around 3 p.m. Sunday, Case said. At that time, Ace told his brother they had encountered rough seas and thunderstorms. He asked his brother to send him weather reports, Case said.

That was the last time the brother heard from Ace or his children, Case said.

While the discovery of the debris field is “dire,” it hasn’t prompted the coast guard to ends its search, nor has it dashed hope. Case said the family is reported to have had two kayaks with them. A seventh lifejacket is also missing.

“We’re throwing everything we have at this search right now,” Case said Wednesday morning.

The coast guard has called in a number of partner agencies to assist in the search for the family. The Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte county sheriff’s offices have all been assisting, along with the Sarasota Police Department.

Boaters are asked to keep an eye out for the missing family or anything that looks unusual in the water. Anyone with information about the family is asked to contact the Coast Guard at 727-842-7506.
Miz Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This is sad and deeply moving. How many sailors are we going to loose before we realize that the sea does not care about our schedules, our need to repair our boats, or that we are a family outfit? I morn with the family that lost a dad and their valiant children. How I wish they had chosen differently.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:53   #12

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Debris was found 33 miles offshore. Not looking good...
Oh crap.... boat sinkings are not a thing of the past.... careful out there... a reminder that boating is a serious occupation.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:54   #13

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

please post where debree was found link ? thanks
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:01   #14

I'll be sailing in that area over the next week. This has been a sobering story for us.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:04   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Incredibly sad, wish there was a better outcome.

Tags
kids