Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 09:50   #61

Re: Family of 6 looking to sail

Annsni, how much time does your family spend on deck while under sail? Do you find that you and the kids spend most of your time below deck or outside?
elireloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 09:58   #62

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by elireloaded View Post
Annsni, how much time does your family spend on deck while under sail? Do you find that you and the kids spend most of your time below deck or outside?
I usually sit in the cockpit or on the decktop while we're underway and the kids are in various places depending on wind and weather. If it's rough, I expect all to be up top in the cockpit unless they've had medication but if we're just motoring, some are in their rooms, some are at the table, some are sitting with us outside. There is plenty of space to spread out and the boat is comfortable in all but rougher conditions.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 10:17   #63

Boat: Tayana 52
Parts of the ICW are lower than 65 feet, I can think of 2 fixed bridges at least in Florida. (One is about 64 and the other 56) you don't really sail the ICW so to do it once is an adventure (including bumping off shallows) but twice is a pain.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 11:23   #64

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Annsni, what's the longest trip, time-wise, you've taken with your family on the boat?
Old 26-11-2013, 13:18   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
Annsni, what's the longest trip, time-wise, you've taken with your family on the boat?
As I've said, we don't live aboard but we do 3 weeks each summer plus a bunch of smaller trips.
Old 26-11-2013, 13:27   #66

Yep, I understood that you didn't live aboard. Was just trying to get a sense of how much time you spent on the boat; we're also trying to figure out how big a boat we need to live on comfortably. Your boat's beautiful, BTW. Kiddies extra so.
Old 26-11-2013, 13:32   #67

Quote:
Yep, I understood that you didn't live aboard. Was just trying to get a sense of how much time you spent on the boat; we're also trying to figure out how big a boat we need to live on comfortably. Your boat's beautiful, BTW. Kiddies extra so.
Thanks!

I think the 42 still would be small for us if we had all 6 of us living aboard unless we did some modifications and even then, we'd need to pull along a shed to store the extras. LOL But when we go away for those 3 weeks, I try to bring most of the food we need and all of the clothing we need so we DO have a lot more than just a weekend jaunt. We don't do laundry in those three weeks which I'd definitely do more frequently if we lived aboard so we'd have less "stuff" in that aspect but then I'd think we'd have more other stuff (school work for one and I know at home I have a full 3 shelf bookcase for the kids for their homeschool books - and that's just the two younger kids). Not doing laundry for 3 weeks means bringing a LOT of clothing for 6 people.

Hubby and I are dreaming of the future and he'd love to live aboard but most likely we'd go to a trawler or something similar. We've fallen in love with the Katy-Krogen 52 but we'd have to sell the house, boat, and at least a few of those cute kids. LOL
Old 26-11-2013, 13:52   #68

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
SNIP
You don't mention where you intend sailing to but if it's just Florida and the Caribbean
SNIP
It makes a lot of sense once you get a boat to keep it in Florida (or somewhere similar in the US) for a while and get a better feel for the boat, what it will do, what you need to do to the boat to fix it (remember the definition of cruising a sail boat is repairing it in exotic locations), and your level of skill in both sailing it and fixing it.

Even just day sailing where you do things like see how the boat handles with a single or double reef will help you gain confidence in yourself and the boat. More than once I have told folks I would much rather find out how my boat sails with the storm jib and first reef in the main when it is blowing 15kns a couple of miles from Boot Key Harbor than when it is 30kns, gusting to 40knts, in the Tongue of the Ocean.

As for selecting a boat your price point limits you to a used boat which means you can get in real trouble unless you get a good survey before hand. It also means that saying you want this make or model or year is kinda silly. There are lots of boats that will meet your needs and price point, but which ones are for sale right now and how to find them are the real trick.

Best of luck
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 14:21   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
Thanks!

I think the 42 still would be small for us if we had all 6 of us living aboard unless we did some modifications and even then, we'd need to pull along a shed to store the extras. LOL But when we go away for those 3 weeks, I try to bring most of the food we need and all of the clothing we need so we DO have a lot more than just a weekend jaunt. We don't do laundry in those three weeks which I'd definitely do more frequently if we lived aboard so we'd have less "stuff" in that aspect but then I'd think we'd have more other stuff (school work for one and I know at home I have a full 3 shelf bookcase for the kids for their homeschool books - and that's just the two younger kids). Not doing laundry for 3 weeks means bringing a LOT of clothing for 6 people.

Hubby and I are dreaming of the future and he'd love to live aboard but most likely we'd go to a trawler or something similar. We've fallen in love with the Katy-Krogen 52 but we'd have to sell the house, boat, and at least a few of those cute kids. LOL
We're leaning toward a 48- or 49-footer because I can't see us living on anything smaller (My husband has decided to be allergic to cat(amaran)s). We can do without a lot. We have very few clothes and typical of most Manhattan apartments, we have one don't-stretch-out-your-arms-you'll-break-something bathroom, a small kitchen with very little storage and a tiny single sink---so a lot of the things that people who live in houses might find annoying are just normal for us. But when the kids start bickering, we need to be able to separate them with more than just a foot or two of space. The other thing we'd have trouble doing without is a washing machine. As you said, fewer clothes mean more-frequent laundry days.
Old 26-11-2013, 14:27   #70

Quote:
We're leaning toward a 48- or 49-footer because I can't see us living on anything smaller (My husband has decided to be allergic to cat(amaran)s). We can do without a lot. We have very few clothes and typical of most Manhattan apartments, we have one don't-stretch-out-your-arms-you'll-break-something bathroom, a small kitchen with very little storage and a tiny single sink---so a lot of the things that people who live in houses might find annoying are just normal for us. But when the kids start bickering, we need to be able to separate them with more than just a foot or two of space. The other thing we'd have trouble doing without is a washing machine. As you said, fewer clothes mean more-frequent laundry days.
How many kids do you have?

When our kids get annoyed at each other, we can send one each to their rooms, one in the salon and one in our room or in the cockpit. Or if the weather is good, we send them swimming. Burning off calories usually helps. The kids also learn to use the kayak and dinghy so they have some freedom.
Old 26-11-2013, 14:39   #71

Quote:
How many kids do you have?

When our kids get annoyed at each other, we can send one each to their rooms, one in the salon and one in our room or in the cockpit. Or if the weather is good, we send them swimming. Burning off calories usually helps. The kids also learn to use the kayak and dinghy so they have some freedom.
Three: 16, 8, and 5. It's entirely possible that by the time we're ready to ship out, the oldest may be away at college. But we're hoping she'll take a year between--up to her. If she decides not to cruise with us, a smaller boat might do, but we figure we'll need crew help on long hauls anyway so better to have the space. Sending them to burn off calories always helps. Right now those activities require quite a bit of space (park, dojang), but they love to swim so we're hoping their interests grow and they adjust well. We're planning to test that theory this spring with a boat trip.

PS: The Katy-Krogen set my heart aflutter. Wish we could afford one!
Old 26-11-2013, 14:48   #72

Quote:
Three: 16, 8, and 5. It's entirely possible that by the time we're ready to ship out, the oldest may be away at college. But we're hoping she'll take a year between--up to her. If she decides not to cruise with us, a smaller boat might do, but we figure we'll need crew help on long hauls anyway so better to have the space. Sending them to burn off calories always helps. Right now those activities require quite a bit of space (park, dojang), but they love to swim so we're hoping their interests grow and they adjust well. We're planning to test that theory this spring with a boat trip.

PS: The Katy-Krogen set my heart aflutter. Wish we could afford one!
When it's down to the 4 of us (which I'm guessing is next year since the 21 year old plans to go to grad school for audiology which is a year round program - and the 23 year old is now teaching as a sub and will most likely pick up the summer sub jobs), cruising will be a pleasure!! The only drawback will be no longer having the built-in adult babysitters. LOL

Doesn't that Krogen set your heart aflutter? Man - it's not a boat but a house!! With a basement!!! LOL
Old 26-11-2013, 14:58   #73

Quote:
Doesn't that Krogen set your heart aflutter? Man - it's not a boat but a house!! With a basement!!! LOL
Hah! It's nicer than my apartment! The kitchens are about the same size, but the boat has a bigger sink. How sad is that, LOL. Oh well, the up side of insane New York real estate prices is that even our meager apartment will draw a fat rent. Hopefully fat enough to go a long way toward funding our cruising.
Old 26-11-2013, 15:00   #74

Quote:
Hah! It's nicer than my apartment! The kitchens are about the same size, but the boat has a bigger sink. How sad is that, LOL. Oh well, the up side of insane New York real estate prices is that even our meager apartment will draw a fat rent. Hopefully fat enough to go a long way toward funding our cruising.
Good luck with it!! We're "neighbors" by the way - I'm out on the island on the North Shore. This year was the first time we sailed into the city. We went with friends and over to Liberty Landing which was fantastic!! Now THAT is how I want to see the city - from the East River!
Old 26-11-2013, 15:10   #75

Quote:
Good luck with it!! We're "neighbors" by the way - I'm out on the island on the North Shore. This year was the first time we sailed into the city. We went with friends and over to Liberty Landing which was fantastic!! Now THAT is how I want to see the city - from the East River!
Nice! Many years ago, I lived 'round the corner from there at Newport. Great way to see the City, though eventually I got tired of taking the Path train to work and moved back into Manhattan. But how'd you do the East River? I've heard currents there are wicked for everything but tug boats and mafia victims, especially between Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges.

We have family in West Hampton Bays. When we know we'll be out that way, I'll give you a heads up, maybe I can buy you a cup of coffee. Would love to pick your brain.

Tags
family, sail