Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 08:14   #1

Fairwinds Sailing School

Hi,
I am thinking of attending the Fairwinds Sailing School in the Virgin Islands. Has anybody had any experiences with them and can tell me anything about them? Good, bad? Is ISCO widely recognized.
Thank you, Fronk
Fronk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 09:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Fairwinds Sailing School

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fronk.

What is "ISCO"? I certainly don't recognize it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 09:58   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Fairwinds had their ASA accreditation suspended a couple of years ago. You can see it a few paragraphs down here. http://www.asa.com/states/schools_outside.html

They now do ICSO classes. http://www.chartersailinglessons.com...t_charters.php

My question to the OP is why do you want an ICSO certificate?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:06   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Okay, but if you just want to learn to sail, say your own boat, would it be so bad?
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:15   #5

If you just wanted to learn to sail your own boat why would you be interested in getting a certificate from the International Charter Sailing Association?

I don't know if it would be "bad" to go with Fairwinds. Apparently the ASA had issues with them.
Old 29-09-2013, 10:33   #6

I guess my reasoning is, I just want to learn to sail, and don't know of other means to do it, yet. I don't need a certificate. Don't particularly want a certificate.

Any ideas?

Ty
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Old 29-09-2013, 10:34   #7

It's not that I want the ICSO certificate, but wondering if it is equal to the ASA certificate. I don't have my own boat yet so this would be so that I could bareboat charter a boat. I presume they will want to see some kind of training or experience?
thanks, Fronk
Fronk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I guess my reasoning is, I just want to learn to sail, and don't know of other means to do it, yet. I don't need a certificate. Don't particularly want a certificate. Any ideas? Ty
Not familiar with Panama but I would think that going to where sailors are and introducing yourself would be a good start. Follow up with asking if anybody would be willing to teach you to sail if you provide lunch, beer, maybe some labor etc.

YouTube is a great resource to learn the vocabulary and basic concepts. Maybe start a new thread here and ask.
Old 29-09-2013, 10:47   #9

Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 29-09-2013, 10:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronk5 View Post
It's not that I want the ICSO certificate, but wondering if it is equal to the ASA certificate. I don't have my own boat yet so this would be so that I could bareboat charter a boat. I presume they will want to see some kind of training or experience? thanks, Fronk
I would start by asking the charter company you wish to use what their requirements are. Ask if you had an ICSO certificate if that would allow you to bareboat. You could also request a captain and charter the boat you want. After a week I would be surprised if the charter company turned you down to bareboat later. Typically once a charter company sees a completed charter on your resume you are good to go. If by your next charter you want a review, ask for a skipper for 1-3 days until your comfortable. Charter companies want you to succeed, have fun and be safe. Generally they want to work with you.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:20   #11

We had a VERY negative experience with Fair Winds several years ago. They are not reputable based on our experience, and we have heard other stories. I didn't know that their ASA membership was revoked, but I am glad to see it. Look somewhere else.
saltydog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 14:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog67 View Post
We had a VERY negative experience with Fair Winds several years ago. They are not reputable based on our experience, and we have heard other stories. I didn't know that their ASA membership was revoked, but I am glad to see it. Look somewhere else.
Yah, these guys suck. Although, it may just be singular guy, since Capt. Dave Bello seems to be the only one around (other than their supposed ever ready legal team)
teambovine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin, sail, sailing, sailing school, school, wind