Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 06:38   #76

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windgeist View Post
I don't lose my glasses like many people do, which I don't get BTW??? Do you lose other things like your car keys all the time???
I am with you. I never lose my sunglasses. I suffered an eye injury when I was 15. Ever since then, I've had severe sensitivity to light. If I don't have sunglasses, its hard to go into sunlight and keep my eyes open. For me, sunglasses are nearly a necessity for getting outdoors.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:41   #77

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
So not a single cruiser wears EagleEyes or BluBlockers?!!! lol

(I actually just googled that to see if I could find the guy from the commercial doing the BluBlocker rap and was amazed to see that they actually are still in business!)
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:57   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8trn View Post
... Next time you are giving or attending a lecture, put you sunnies in front of the lens of the projector. Does the image on the screen get distorted, doubled, smeared, or is the image just darker but still clear?
You need to be sure to center the lens and not tilt it so that you are not inducing too many aberrations...
You can also check lenses for distortion by putting the sunglasses on, and looking at a rectangular pattern, such as floor tiles.
If the lines appear to stay straight, when you move your head up and down, and side-to-side, then the amount of distortion is acceptable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 08:19   #79

I own two pair of Ray Ban Polarized sunglasses (about $150 each) and can really tell the difference between those and the $40 pair I bought thinking I would save money> They don't scratch as easily and have a lifetime replacement warranty. As for losing them, I find that a floating lanyard works great and that since I know the cost I am more careful with them. The actual vision quality is also quite noticeable when I sight fish. If I wear the cheaper ones I tend to get a headache after a couple of hours where the better ones can be on all day.
flatspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:01   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What if your prescription bifocals distort the image and the people at Pearle Vision tell you it's supposed to be that way, that you will only see clearly if you're looking through the exact center of the glasses?
Hi Ron,
My distortion test is for a Plano (our jargon for no Rx) lens. I did not state as such, sorry.
Rx lenses all have peripheral distortions. " no line" multifocals more than single powers lenses.
Free Form digital lenses are much less distorted in the periphery than are back surface generated lenses. I am not familiar with the manufacturer and lens technology the Pearl Vision uses.
I am most partial to Zeiss Individual and Hoya Lifestyle iD multifocals at this time.
Regards,
Greg
Old 16-07-2010, 22:07   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You can also check lenses for distortion by putting the sunglasses on, and looking at a rectangular pattern, such as floor tiles.
If the lines appear to stay straight, when you move your head up and down, and side-to-side, then the amount of distortion is acceptable.
Mr. May and my suggestions are only valid for plane non-Rx lenses. How much distortion is acceptable is quite variable from one person to the next in my 20 years of experience prescribing and dispensing lenses. But I do like the quick test above
Greg
Old 17-07-2010, 03:55   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8trn View Post
Mr. May and my suggestions are only valid for plane non-Rx lenses. How much distortion is acceptable is quite variable from one person to the next ...
Greg
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote