Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2010, 01:08   #31

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I haven't spent over $25 on sunglasses, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't if I had the money!

If they are UV rated and polarized that is good enough for me.

Old 09-05-2010, 17:22   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Another side to the story is that it also depends on the shop you buy yours in.

I got mine in a fishing shop. One shop away is a 'marine' clothing outlet - HH T-shirts, North Sails T-shirts, Lacoste shoes .... If I got mine in the fashion shop they would cost twice the price. Same country, same town, same street, different target group.

barnie

Old 09-05-2010, 17:32   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsboat View Post
I have a 10 yr. old pair of Serengetis that I wouldn't be without.Very restful on the eyes.

Phil
Serengetis! now I remember what I bought

I got expensive sunglasses to also turn me into a babe magnet - I now have to fight them off with a stick. An Armani stick

But, as always, YMMV
Old 09-05-2010, 19:48   #34

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Expensive sunglasses sink a little bit faster than cheap sunglasses. I've found that $5.00 sunglasses are useless. $20.00-$40.00 sunglasses are 99% as good as $300.00 sunglasses in most cases. I have prescription glasses so I look for something around the $30.00 mark that are comfortable and don't make me look dorkier than usual that also have screws under the hinges that hold the frames together (if they're metal). If they're screwed together, my friend who owns a lens grinding shop can get prescription lenses in them for me. Decent plastic frames are fine, too.
Prescription lenses are one of the biggest markup items around. His lowest price lenses are $8.00. The local nice boutique eyeglass store sells them for $85.00. The last lenses he made for me were glass, polarized, tinted, and anti-scratch coated. They were $42.00, his normal wholesale price. They sell for a couple hundred in the store.
Old 09-05-2010, 20:03   #35

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Before my insurance ran out my wife and i talked about using a 200.00 allowance on eyewear to get me some good sun glasses for the first time in my life..Well after having to fork over another 150.00 out of my pocket so in essence a 350.00 pair of sunglasses..All I can tell you is they are a piece of crap and i never where them...

Anything over 50.00 is a wast of money I don't care who's name is on them.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:49   #36

Boat: Catalina 400
Costal Del Mar and Mauis - though my preference is Costas. I do not agree with those that say they are all the same. I have worn both and found the previous sunglasses extraordinary. But that is my opinion and I can see where others would dissagree depending on how much they use them. But we live aboard and cruise down south so we feel good sunglasses are as critical as good suntan lotion.

Brian

PS We have had our Costas for over 4 years and they work as well now as they did before and are in as good of shape. I never had a cheap pair last that long.
Old 10-05-2010, 15:21   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
I went the Serengeti/Maui Jim route for a while but I just couldn't take the stress. I got tired of worrying about whether my shirt was sand or resin-free enough to clean my glasses, couldn't leave them on the table in a bar to take a leak, the list goes on. Plus, I didn't notice any difference in clarity between the $200 shades and the cheaper ones. It's back to cheap sunglasses and a carefree life for me.

Mike
Old 18-05-2010, 21:16   #38
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Don't like having 'Panda Eye's'..... and don't like talking to folk that hide their eye's....
Damn sight worse than the Burkah... and definitely.. UNCOOL

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 21:28   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Serengetis! now I remember what I bought

I got expensive sunglasses to also turn me into a babe magnet - I now have to fight them off with a stick. An Armani stick

But, as always, YMMV
I tried the damn Serengetis and had to fight off lions!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 12:49   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't like having 'Panda Eye's'..... and don't like talking to folk that hide their eye's....
True. I too dislike talking to people wearing shades on an overcast day. I noticed this a lot in Americans an Kiwis - so probably they are influenced by some sort of health propaganda this much.

Still, on the water, on a bright day, I am always trying to wear at least my biking (non-coloured) glasses - if only to keep the excess of the wind from making my eyes cry when I look upwind. Then if navigating in coral or reading the sky - polaroids!

I do not get the Panda eyes anymore as I am always wearing a hat too!

barnie
Old 19-05-2010, 13:03   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Lifetime guarantee, superb optics, excellent construction, light weight, ergonomic near perfection. I've yet to find a cheap pair that meets all those criteria.
Old 19-05-2010, 13:41   #42

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
True. I too dislike talking to people wearing shades on an overcast day. I noticed this a lot in Americans an Kiwis - so probably they are influenced by some sort of health propaganda this much.

Still, on the water, on a bright day, I am always trying to wear at least my biking (non-coloured) glasses - if only to keep the excess of the wind from making my eyes cry when I look upwind. Then if navigating in coral or reading the sky - polaroids!

I do not get the Panda eyes anymore as I am always wearing a hat too!

barnie
Barnie.. Hi
I just hate wearing glasses period... went for the "Marlon Brando Kool Look" when I m/biked in years gone by... till a bee knocked a lens out at speed... then I went full face.. but in general I'd rather "Squint like Clint"...
and since I've HAD TO start wearing them to read and see detail in a Chart I'm on like a super hate mode..lol

Born To Be Wild
Old 19-05-2010, 15:02   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
till a bee knocked a lens out at speed... then I went full face.. but
That is the way some just have to learn.

I am a chicken. I started out full face.

I decided not to pay for the prescription ones (350.00). 20.00 clip-ons. Not great for the sides letting light in though. Spending the money elsewhere.
Old 19-05-2010, 15:44   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
That is the way some just have to learn.

I am a chicken. I started out full face.

I decided not to pay for the prescription ones (350.00). 20.00 clip-ons. Not great for the sides letting light in though. Spending the money elsewhere.

Lmao... When I started out 'Full Face' was some green gunge my Mom used to slap on herself to stop wrinkles... and a Helmet meant you were not religious(chess analogy)

Ways to Learn..
Like the time I was 11 and playing Tarzan (we did things like that back then)... I was standing on a wall beating my chest and doing the ARRrgggHHHHEEeyyyaaa thing... dived for a tree branch as I'd done a ton of times before and totally missed...
Broke both wrists and near gave my Mom a heart attack when I walked in and showed her... hahahahahaaa..
Jeez.. just had a flashback... hehehee.
Anyway.... back to the subject... Lesson Learnt...

There are times when Gorgeous Women Must Be Ignored....

Sorry.. glasses... don't like Brandy Snifters.. my nose gets in the way...

Born To Be Wild
Old 19-05-2010, 16:08   #45

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Before my insurance ran out my wife and i talked about using a 200.00 allowance on eyewear to get me some good sun glasses for the first time in my life..Well after having to fork over another 150.00 out of my pocket so in essence a 350.00 pair of sunglasses..All I can tell you is they are a piece of crap and i never where them...

Anything over 50.00 is a wast of money I don't care who's name is on them.
Ha! I suppose if I said "any seacock over 50.00 is a waste of money I don't care who's name is on it" I'm sure I'd be in for a great debate! While I don't believe that to be true, I think most sailors would agree that for boat items, you most often get what you pay for. Why do so many not think this way when it comes to sunglasses?

I did notice an optometrist on the board say he didn't put much stock in overpriced glasses, and as the husband of a doctor, I respect his opinion. That being said, I've never worn a pair of glasses that reduce eye fatigue, and provide the level of clarity as my Costas so they are worth their price to me. Also, if you are the type of person who uses the same pair of glasses for every day, you aren't seeing the true benefit of them. Lenses are tools- different occasions call for different lenses, and no lens excels in all conditions.

Last thing- once you have a polarized pair that you can wear and still clearly read LCD screens, you might realize that all glasses are not equal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: