Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 16:37   #31

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Exit plan morbid?

death is no concern for the living.
i like epicurus' tetrapharmakos;
the gods are not to be dreaded
death is not to be feared
that which is good is easy to obtain
that which is bad is easy to endure
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 17:57   #32

Boat: islandpacket

We can hope and plan but this will happen unexpectedly and suddenly. To my wife and children, if the last words I speak are not I love you, its only because it happened to fast and there was no time.
Old 14-05-2016, 18:18   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Exit plan morbid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Now be honest here! It doesn't have to be Norah Jones does it?
True..!!
Diana Krall is pretty smokie... in her own way..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 23:35   #34

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Hunter S. thompson had it right:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave, safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting,
"holy **** what aride" !

I think he would approve of boatie and Hoppy's plans!

C.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 04:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Pretty sure you mean morbid.
Odd thing to say for a sailor - anything but drowning! Love being on the water, really don't enjoy being in it unless it is in my hot tub @ 104 degrees!
When the boat goes down I hope it's hypothermia in a liferaft that gets me.
I have been close to death twice from hypothermia. The euphoria and calmness that comes after the shivering stops is remarkably pleasant. The rescue and recovery from that point is NOT pleasant at all. I have since been extremely careful about technical apparel in any temperature below 80 degrees f.

My children have clear instructions that I have always wanted a caribou cape. When the time comes they are to let me go get one, absent the existing technical apparel.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 04:29   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cu Mor Glas View Post
I have been close to death twice from hypothermia. The euphoria and calmness that comes after the shivering stops is remarkably pleasant. The rescue and recovery from that point is NOT pleasant at all. I have since been extremely careful about technical apparel in any temperature below 80 degrees f.

My children have clear instructions that I have always wanted a caribou cape. When the time comes they are to let me go get one, absent the existing technical apparel.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
Yep! When I was younger I was seriously thinking of becoming a mountaineering guide. Did my first bunch of courses which included some in depth first aid and search and rescue stuff, did a bit of volunteer sar tech work and avalanche rescue.
Amazing the conditions you can become hypothermic in, nowhere near what people believe.
Pulmonary edema would be the worst way to go on a mountain! Drowning in your own juices......
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 04:41   #37

Boat: Hylas 54

Get a book "Final Exit" and research Hemlock Society for self-directed painless ways to exit this mortal coil. A gun will do it but does not leave the best memory for those left behind or those who need to clean your brains off the wall.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 05:19   #38

Boat: Oyster 55

Well after working in an inner city trauma center for over 20 years have seen a lot of people die.
Personally I agree with the morphine route when it comes to my own death however it may take more morphine than you think so my suggestion is to get some Heroin off the street and save it for that rainy day.
Definitely would not suggest drowning, very panic stricken people until the euphoria sets in. Then there is the gun shot to the head....sometimes you live so suggest putting the gun in your mouth to ensure the bullet goes to the right place. Hanging doesn't always work and can be quite painful. Of course there are many other ways to go, some not so clever like drinking Drano.
But more importantly instead of death we should speak about living.
The words of the Dalai Lama:

"Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:09   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Write your will.

Fill out your living will. My nurse friend recommends no palliative care because it prolongs life when you don't want to do that.

If you have a spouse or a beloved partner, make sure they understand what you want. Extend that information to your kids, if any, and if appropriate.

Then, just go live your life, and don't worry about it.

Ann
Old 15-05-2016, 16:29   #40

Boat: islandpacket

A living will, will not protect you if you don't have it at hand.
If you have a DNR keep it
at hand. If you call EMS they will do CPR on you unless you can produce it. Don't keep it in your safe deposit box. You need to provide proof of your wishes and your medical provider. Local variations of course.
Don't assume your wishes will be carried out. If your in a hospital or long term care they should have all the right documentation needed.
But if your not in the system anything can happen.
Old 16-05-2016, 05:32   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

The sad thing is many families will not respect our will regarding what to do should an ultimate decision be required.

I do not know about the US, but here on the EU side of the pond many countries allow the family to make decisions on behalf of incapacitated people. You can ask not to be put on life support, and then your will counts for nothing.

If you want to make your own decisions till the end, make sure you live in a state where YOUR will gets respected.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:37   #42

In a big storm? NO WAY! That is just about the WORST way that I could imagine to die.

I want to go like my grandfather: Stroke out in my sleep, four months after my 100th birthday.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:53   #43

I'm a critical care nurse and my family knows not to PEG (feeding tube) and trach (breathing bridge) me to 'keep me going'...or I swear I'll come back and poltergeist every one of them!

It's sad, but yes, there are many times where a distraught family member wins out over the candid wishes of a patient. Sadly, IMNSHO - most Americans are quite attached individuals... attached to their possession, attached to time, attached to a point where they aren't thinking about what it is they're attached to. Families often fail to consider what 'FULL CODE' actually means, or that a beating heart doesn't mean a quality life. Far too many people are living in care facilities with Stage 4 (down to the bone) ulcers and the 'patient' doesn't even know what year it is - that's no way to live.

We're all going to die, but I think some of us are going to have to take a look at whether we want quality time, or a quantity of time - I choose quality. So...if Alzheimer's is knocking on my door, you can find me free-climbing the nose of El Capitan, because I'll be damned if I'm going out slowly in a bed~
Old 16-05-2016, 06:53   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I want to go out...kicking and screaming... The same way I came in!

Seriously, ... I just hope that nothing important was left unsaid between me and my loved ones.... The physical part I can handle
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 07:09   #45

Boat: Lagoon 380 Cat 38 ft

#1 Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, You Simply Fall A Sleep.

#2 Inject about 1 CC of Air into your Viens, Your Heart Will Stop.

#3 Roman Suicide; Get in a hot bath, cut both wrists and bleed out.

#4 Gun shot in your mouth.
jdisarro is offline   Reply With Quote