Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 14:57   #76

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Exit plan morbid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Sorry, the kamikaze destruction of the Glen Canyon Dam also involves the sacrifice of an airplane, unless you have another recommendation.
I think he meant human kamikaze
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 15:15   #77

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I think he meant human kamikaze
I suppose the reason I just skipped over that in the first place is I have watched "THE DAM BUSTERS", (it's a true story!). Attempting to destroy the GCD with or without a GA aircraft brings to mind a thousand and one Roadrunner cartoons.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 15:17   #78

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

you have to wait until there is a hairline crack and a tiny thumb-sized hole and that's where the human kamikaze really shines
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 15:38   #79

Boat: Catalina 30

Further ruminations on the heroin theme.

Movie Trainspotting explains it well.
Mature Content

You could really just become a junkie and accomplish the same thing.

Alex did. It just took him a long time until he was finally under pursuit and nipped into a bathroom and ingested everything on his person.

His older brother Jerry was found in a hotel room, I think it was some time earlier.

Ernie kicked. He may still be alive.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 21:03   #80

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
To some extent I agree, I mostly blame a system that forces people into this decision when there is absolutely no alternative.
It's easy to judge until you've seen somebody in the condition he was in at the end.
I'll bet dimes to dollars most of you would have taken the dirt nap long before he did.
I really do understand and I meant no disrespect. We don't let animals suffer like that.
But All that talk about "death boards" was completely crazy. It is hard for the medical professionals to talk to a patient about death and for the patient and family to really understand whats happining. Even if they are told the truth, the patient and family still will not understand and dont know what to ask.
We need to be clear about our wishes and we need to be honest and understanding.
I find it amazing that people still don't understand what hospice is but thank God they have it.
As a side note here, I was in emergency medical services as an emt and paramedic for 35 years and have been to quite a few end results and have seen the devistrated families second guessing themselves thinking it was there fault. I apologize for the rant, but this is a real issue for me.
Old 19-05-2016, 05:41   #81

I get where you are coming from, In most cases I do tend to agree that it is a selfish decision by attention seekers.
When you are dealing with something like Huntingtons you are into a whole new reality. Far worse than your average run of the mill dementia. Soon as those words leave the doctors lips your fate is sealed. Choose your time and go with some dignity.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 06:47   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

An issue is by the time many decide, they are no longer physically able to sail off into the wild, nothing wrong with the fantasy, but usually doesn't happen

With all the ways available for a rather sedate ending, I couldn't go the violent routes myself. I don't know why anyone would want to, and to do it in such a manner that could traumatize family is inconsiderate.

I believe a responsible person may one day be faced with the reality that to try to extend life for a little while may mean destroying your savings and meaning that your Wife will have to live out her remaining years in poverty as opposed to a life of relative comfort.
What do you think a Man should do if faced with that reality? I just hope that I have the option, currently you don't, your required to squander your life savings

Personally I have no life insurance, my profession and hobbies have made that pretty much unobtainable, but I am now at an age, where I don't think I have use for it anyway, soon kids will all be gone and there is enough money to keep the wife in a decent standard of living, assuming of course it doesn't all get eaten up in a couple of weeks of intensive care on life support.
Now a 30 yr old with three kids, a mortgage etc. I got it, they need insurance.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote