Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 18:35   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Exit plan morbid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Its one thing to die, even if you want too, but to shoot or cut yourself to be found by your family is cruel. Even if your right to die, doing it like that is selfish and mean.
Too true.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:59   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Its one thing to die, even if you want too, but to shoot or cut yourself to be found by your family is cruel. Even if your right to die, doing it like that is selfish and mean.
To some extent I agree, I mostly blame a system that forces people into this decision when there is absolutely no alternative.
It's easy to judge until you've seen somebody in the condition he was in at the end.
I'll bet dimes to dollars most of you would have taken the dirt nap long before he did.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:11   #63

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Good point about the life insurance of no body found. That reminds me as you read the news you will see 'body found'. Again, it is my goal to stay off the 'body found' list as long as possible.

When I sense my 'end of days' is here I can see me getting in a $5,000 smallish sailboat and sailing out of sight and and sinking the boat with me on it somehow in a few thousand feet of water without any authority figure knowing so no search will be done.

I hope I have the guts to do this. But I imagine a lot (most) people linger which makes me think dying must not be that easy. Must be a in our DNA to keep living as long as possible.

My friends father was 94 and still driving. Went for a new drivers license and was given an option to get a license good for 2 years or 4 years. He got the 4 year license. Good for him !!! But he only made it 1.5 years longer.

Now...will self driving cars improve an old person's quality of life...I think it will. Hope self driving cars get to the general public in 25 years.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 11:54   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Good point about the life insurance of no body found. That reminds me as you read the news you will see 'body found'. Again, it is my goal to stay off the 'body found' list as long as possible.

When I sense my 'end of days' is here I can see me getting in a $5,000 smallish sailboat and sailing out of sight and and sinking the boat with me on it somehow in a few thousand feet of water without any authority figure knowing so no search will be done.

I hope I have the guts to do this. But I imagine a lot (most) people linger which makes me think dying must not be that easy. Must be a in our DNA to keep living as long as possible.

My friends father was 94 and still driving. Went for a new drivers license and was given an option to get a license good for 2 years or 4 years. He got the 4 year license. Good for him !!! But he only made it 1.5 years longer.

Now...will self driving cars improve an old person's quality of life...I think it will. Hope self driving cars get to the general public in 25 years.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Then we'll have all of these cars aimlessly driving around, containing people who forgot where they told the car to go, wondering what they're doing at the mall, or drug store...
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:27   #65

On HOW to die: I have two scenarios that both involve heroin and an airplane; I haven't decided yet whether I want to shoot up and get pushed out of the plane for the ultimate freefall, or if I want to kamikaze into the Glen Canyon Dam and become a folk hero to generations of future river runners and desert rats.

I haven't figured out WHEN to pull the trigger, which leads me to ask a serious question regarding this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Since I know all too well how awful [dementia] is, I'm am going to take steps to make sure I don't follow the pattern. If that means my exit happens earlier than it needs to, I am okay with that. I flatly refuse to submit my family and me to the emotional crush that the disease causes. I understand now that you can purchase on line from Thailand 'medications' that will allow you to control your exit timing. I fully intend to take advantage of that resource or any other well before I forget what it is that I need to do.
How will you know WHEN to take the medications? How do you know that dementia victims are not happy to be alive, and maybe unaware of their condition and how it affects others.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:36   #66

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
On HOW to die: I have two scenarios that both involve heroin and an airplane; I haven't decided yet whether I want to shoot up and get pushed out of the plane for the ultimate freefall, or if I want to kamikaze into the Glen Canyon Dam and become a folk hero to generations of future river runners and desert rats.
Ha that's great
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:47   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
How do you know that dementia victims are not happy to be alive, and maybe unaware of their condition and how it affects others.
I have had experience with a few close family and friends with severe dementia. One aunt I guess you could say, lived in ignorant bliss and seemed quite fine right up to the end but yes it was trouble and pain for the family. She stayed close to home so they didn't have a problem with her wandering off but she became incontinent, occasionally forgot to put on clothes and finally could not remember anyone or anything around her. Through the whole process she never showed any outward signs of distress.

This was the exception. The other family and friends I knew that went through this became increasingly fearful. Some suffered bouts of anger, depression or other unpleasant emotions, often severe.

Either way, the feelings of the person were very obvious to all around them.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:51   #68

Boat: Catalina 30

My wife's ex-boyfriend died in his boat and years later they still can't get the smell out. So DO make sure it sinks along with you. But if you are in your boat, why would you want to kill yourself? Good provisioning includes medication. I didn't work all my life and learn to sail and spend a small fortune on a money pit just to end it all, nosiree bob.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 13:03   #69

Quote:
On HOW to die: I have two scenarios that both involve heroin and an airplane; I haven't decided yet whether I want to shoot up and get pushed out of the plane for the ultimate freefall.
I'm very glad that you are not going to sacrifice a perfectly good airplane, as it sounds like a pilot is involved. Let me make an even better suggestion. You can do this in any airplane that has the capability to make it to 25 thousand MSL or better. Have the pilot don oxygen equipment and turn off the cabin pressurization. I've been to 25K in a chamber, everyone's reaction is slightly different, but unless you are in top aerobic condition, you will become euphoric and eventually pass out. Not a bad way to go. Have the pilot dispose of you over a very remote area.
Old 18-05-2016, 13:30   #70

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
I'm very glad that you are not going to sacrifice a perfectly good airplane, as it sounds like a pilot is involved. Let me make an even better suggestion. You can do this in any airplane that has the capability to make it to 25 thousand MSL or better. Have the pilot don oxygen equipment and turn off the cabin pressurization. I've been to 25K in a chamber, everyone's reaction is slightly different, but unless you are in top aerobic condition, you will become euphoric and eventually pass out. Not a bad way to go. Have the pilot dispose of you over a very remote area.
But then you miss out on the trippy heroin induced skydive....
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 13:44   #71

Forgive me if I'm misreading this, but "trippy" is more associated with psychoactive drugs, not opioid pain killers, although there is a euphoric component admittedly. Unless you are experienced, heroin may just make you puke the first time.
As a public service, I present this list of possible psychoactive alternatives. After all, you could just have the nurse turn up the IV at the hospital, what fun is that?

1. cocaine
2. crack cocaine
3. methylphenidate (Ritalin)
4. ephedrine
5. MDMA (Ecstasy)
6. mescaline (cactus)
7. LSD blotter
8. psilocybin mushroom (Psilocybe cubensis)
9. Salvia divinorum
10. diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
11. Amanita muscaria mushroom
12. Tylenol 3 (contains codeine)
13. codeine with muscle relaxant
14. pipe tobacco
15. bupropion (Zyban)
16. cannabis
17. hashish

Not claiming to be an expert, but for the purposes of transitioning astral planes, my choice would be #6, in the form of a strong tea.
Old 18-05-2016, 14:12   #72

Quote:
Sorry, the kamikaze destruction of the Glen Canyon Dam also involves the sacrifice of an airplane, unless you have another recommendation.
Old 18-05-2016, 14:18   #73

Old 18-05-2016, 14:20   #74

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm misreading this, but "trippy" is more associated with psychoactive drugs, not opioid pain killers, although there is a euphoric component admittedly. Unless you are experienced, heroin may just make you puke the first time.
As a public service, I present this list of possible psychoactive alternatives. After all, you could just have the nurse turn up the IV at the hospital, what fun is that?

1. cocaine
2. crack cocaine
3. methylphenidate (Ritalin)
4. ephedrine
5. MDMA (Ecstasy)
6. mescaline (cactus)
7. LSD blotter
8. psilocybin mushroom (Psilocybe cubensis)
9. Salvia divinorum
10. diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
11. Amanita muscaria mushroom
12. Tylenol 3 (contains codeine)
13. codeine with muscle relaxant
14. pipe tobacco
15. bupropion (Zyban)
16. cannabis
17. hashish

Not claiming to be an expert, but for the purposes of transitioning astral planes, my choice would be #6, in the form of a strong tea.
Done them all except for 4, 11, and 15. Always wanted to try heroin, but I'm afraid I might like it too much. Looking for the euphoric freefall, not a psychedelic trip. Looks like I'll have to do a couple of practice heroin experiences before taking the ultimate plunge. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 18-05-2016, 14:55   #75

Growing up in my lilly white suburb, my next door neighbor's son was a junkie. I foolishly tried to "help" him.

Here's what junkies do:

1. Obtain money through any means necessary.
2. Shoot up.
3. Nod out. (Lie on back in bed in somnolent stupor)
4. If alive THEN GOTO #1
ELSE EXIT