Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 01:04   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Erika is a naughty girl.

Having lived in Florida during the 2000's, and going through a number of hurricanes, not to mention losing my house to Charleys antics, I well know the anticipatory anxiety that is in the mind of Florida residents right now.

It may or may not happen. The uncertainty of it brings its own issues. Stocking up on food and supplies that places an extra financial burden on people, getting the escape vehicle(s) in a roadworthy condition, checking on family members, preparing the animals, getting wood panels in readiness to board up the house....

I was working emergency shift during Charley, I got a call to assist in a situation near to my home just after the storm. It took us 2 hours to do a run that normally takes 10 minutes, having to remove trees and debris from our path. Once the emergency was stabilised, I walked over to my home. My bedroom was intact. It was the only room still standing. It was the only part upright. A few days later, I got a visit from a FEMA inspector. He took a few details, and a while later I had a cheque to the value of the house and bits and pieces. I checked my bank account and they had also placed a sum of money in there for emergency help.

There was no emotional attachment to the property. Only been in it for a while, no history with it. Families around me had raised their children and built a life. My one neighbour had buried his wife a couple of weeks before the storm, and I saw him just sat on the porch of his own destruction, much deeper than just the loss of property. One day he was not there and I dont know any more than that.

The army set up food camps in the town centre, and some kind person had driven his mobile commercial BBQ rig down from Georgia and was cooking for everyone free of charge. Local guys went out and got wild pigs from surrounding areas to keep him supplied when his deliveries were delayed from up North. Sadly, I have forgotten his name but not the kindness or the hard work he put in for the community.

It took a year to clean up to a pristine condition. Better than pre storm. People rallied and helped each other. But something had gone from their lives.

So when you read of tropical storms or hurricanes, the effect reaches far beyond just the immediacy. It is a much longer period of time that we are talking about. The toll on the psyche and lifes dreams and memories is incalculable.

I also lost my new to me boat. Again a cheque was issued quickly, and I got to watch the remains lifted out of the water. There were few personal possessions aboard. I got off it what I wanted. It was a boat with no history with me. Perhaps a different story if I had used it daily for 10 years or sailed to places.

So i have deep empathy for the Islands in the path of the storm right now. Loss of life and homes have occurred. Until Florida, I had never actually experienced a Hurricane, but had worked a few post storm.

There is a difference in living through one. I hope it is something that most people do not experience.

Postscript. A week after the storm, I was traveling with my then girlfriend and her 2 boys into a town that had not been affected by the Hurricane to a restaurant a few miles away. There was a side street off the 41 with one home remaining out of 6. We remarked how lucky the owner was. As we traveled, the sky SUDDENLY went brown, it was like a sepia photograph tone had hit the world. The air quality started to fluctuate, the A/C seemed to go hot and cold. a low down wind got up and even buffeted the vehicle a little. The Sepia tone got deeper, then the colur changed to ice grey. I had pulled over on the road. Out of nowhere, a twister appeared on the side road with the one house. We watched it gently hover and then head toward the house. It stopped in front of it and for what appeared like an eternity stood still. Slowly it backed off and then headed to the single tree in the yard and covered it. Then the twister disappeared. So had the tree. The skies cleared in minutes and we were left sat there wondering what had just happened.

A number of other vehicles had stopped behind us and witnessed this. One guy I looked at just shook his head in shock and wonder. We all drove off in a subdued mood with a deeper appreciation of nature.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 01:13   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Erika is a naughty girl.

It does make one think and to contemplate...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 03:24   #3
cruiser

I've never bonded and had a strong attachment to "stuff." Twice in my life now, I've lost all my stuff and had to start over again and acquire new stuff, so I really don't get it.. Each time, we've just moved on and not looked back. Neither of us form emotional bonds to inanimate objects like houses, cars, boats etc. That stated, we have a basement full of stuff I'd like to get rid of.

In New England, we're constantly bombarded by storms of every kind. Other locals don't ask or expect any help, but offer it generously when it's needed by a neighbor or community, but basically... New Englanders just hunker down during the storm and "get on with it," after the storm or emergency passes.

Maybe I've just lived there long enough for the attitude to rub off. Always prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Example: during one of the major snow storms hitting our area last winter (we received a cumulative 4 meters over four week period), the administrator of the hospital where I work, personally drove 20 miles in the storm in his 4x4 pickup truck to fetch me because the snow on our road was three feet deep. Everyone at work brought in a two day personal supply and was prepared to stay... Until the emergency was over. Why can the folks down south do the same? It's a puzzlement.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 04:38   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've never bonded and had a strong attachment to "stuff." Twice in my life now, I've lost all my stuff and had to start over again and acquire new stuff, so I really don't get it.. Each time, we've just moved on and not looked back. Neither of us form emotional bonds to inanimate objects like houses, cars, boats etc. That stated, we have a basement full of stuff I'd like to get rid of.

In New England, we're constantly bombarded by storms of every kind. Other locals don't ask or expect any help, but offer it generously when it's needed by a neighbor or community, but basically... New Englanders just hunker down during the storm and "get on with it," after the storm or emergency passes.

Maybe I've just lived there long enough for the attitude to rub off. Always prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Example: during one of the major snow storms hitting our area last winter (we received a cumulative 4 meters over four week period), the administrator of the hospital where I work, personally drove 20 miles in the storm in his 4x4 pickup truck to fetch me because the snow on our road was three feet deep. Everyone at work brought in a two day personal supply and was prepared to stay... Until the emergency was over. Why can the folks down south do the same? It's a puzzlement.

Is that your attempt at humor? Comparing a snowstorm to a hurricane? I'am puzzled by your post.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 04:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Why can the folks down south do the same? It's a puzzlement.
I think you meant can't, not can. But they can and do, still.
What your confused about is New Orleans, and Katrina. Well there have been storms before and since, and actually I believe areas were hit worse from that storm than New Orleans, but little to no attention was given to them.
I'll let you decide how and why what happened in New Orleans, did.
My belief is that a certain segment of this Country now believe it's the Government's job to take care of them, they shouldn't have to do anything but wait for the aid, where most non urban types get up, pick up and get to work, whether it's New England and storms, the Mid West and floods, or the Deep South and Tornadoes / Hurricanes.
Truly used to be, there was no FEMA, you and your neighbors and other pitched in and got the job done, and I believe in Rural areas, FEMA is much less active, people and their neighbors still pitch in and get the job done, regardless of where in the Country they are.
I don't think geography has anything to do with it.

Just after I retired from the Army, I was a civilian contract test pilot for the Army's test activity (ATTC). Anyway one of my first TDY trips was to do winter testing in the Apache in Northern Wisconsin in February, thing that struck me very strongly was except for the accent, the locals in Northern Wisconsin's small towns were essentially identical in their actions and beliefs etc. to the Alabama Country people we had just left.
People that live the same lifestyle, seem to act the same and have the same sense of morality etc, geography seems to have little effect.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 05:13   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i hope this naughty erika saves some virgin islands for human habitation and doesnt leave too much of a mess.
florida?? is their turn. hunker down and it too will pass.
just like a kidney stone.
canes are just wicked strong storms that folks who dont experience em in various stages fear. is just a stronger than normal revolving storm. yes they are dangerous when overhead. yes they are scary strong. yes they can kill ye. but it is just momma nature.
our boss.
they are also very beautiful. seems the more dangerous they grow, the more beautiful they become, formation-wise. underneath them one can argue that fact, but the formations are a work of art.
can be disastrous art.
i first experiened an atlantic furycame at full strength in long island in my yout'. we had carla and donna and another carla and another donna and some other stuff, but carlas and donnas were the hot topic with destruction of homes in long island, ny..pooor levittown... fire island... natures way of changing the scenery some. we are in the way.
oops.
we were too young to know about the islands destroyed in the making of our tormentas in our youths.. my brothers wanted to go onto roof of house in long island to watch the eye pass.. momma was mortified properlty, and one of em did get on the roof, as i recall....was fun missing school and watching the sideways rain rule the planet. the other side of town got the excitement of tornadoes down nassau blvd... that was bigg talk for days.
now we think of missing parts of boats and lives when we hear and see em coming, and prep accordingly. is why there is such a thing as advanced warning these days. some folks still donot believe the force of the storm will affect them adversely.
seems like folks donot listen to the forecasting of named storms until it is on them. that is too late to properly prep, as we know. but....and there are those who disbelieve the storm is coming or that it willbe as strong as it is..and think it will dissipate before arrival.. that is a dangerous way to approach these impressive works of art and destruction.
i hope all affected come thru ok.
the only thing i am bonded with besides my cat is my boat/home. when i see these forming i make sure that not only i am prepared but that folks on the receiving end of the damnthing get warned and know what is coming. i get them while they are still young and ts most often, or baby canes. wind is less and damages smaller.
the hardest part of the prediction is the rapid intensification stages.. st maartin last year had that occur exactly overhead so werent prepared for cane, only ts.
odile did the ri near cabo corrientes, just north of me, before slamming the piss outta cabo and la paz.
the folks in la paz were so convinced they were only gonna be having 70 kt winds they didnt properly prep. lots of property was destroyed and many folks died as a result.
please be ready for this bitch as she is nasty.
florida, you have advanced warning. please ready and be in better locations with your boats, is why we are mobile.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 05:43   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Is that your attempt at humor? Comparing a snowstorm to a hurricane? I'am puzzled by your post.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not humor. We get hurricanes here also.

One point I was trying to make... seems like in some parts of the country, people just sit around, wait for government instructions, then wait for the government to pick them up and reimburse them for damages. But in New England where we get every kind of storm including tornadoes, the people here... Just pick themselves up, and get on with life before and after the storms.

There're still thousands of layabouts living off FEMA ten years after Katrina.
Old 28-08-2015, 05:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:

if only more us were half as great as you.
Old 28-08-2015, 06:03   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
if only more us were half as great as you.
Don't know what your issues are, but I'm making an observation on behalf of nearly all New Engalnders I've met or know.

If the storm is heading your way, shouldn't you be out buying some supplies, preparing etc., instead of wasting time, fussing around on your computer?
Old 28-08-2015, 06:10   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

If there are no monkeys in your naybourhood, you can damn bet its a hurry-kane!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well my post had nothing to do with Katrina.
It had nothing to do with politics and nothing to do with FEMA except as a commentary.

Dont forget, I had paid hefty insurance premiums on my boat and House and all that happened is that FEMA cut out the waiting period. I know they post incident collaborated and spread the bills.

People have but a few years life to build their dreams. Many live and die in one place. Natural disasters can flatten hopes and wishes, interrupt intent and plans and change the whole course of their direction. Some can cope and some cannot.

Im not a person to be connected to material things either, yet I understand and feel empathy for those that attribute emotion to homes and dynasties and objects. Its not my way but...........

So dont this turn into anything else other than a passing comment on the anxiety some are feeling in Florida and the Islands right now.

For that is all it was.

And not a dig at anyone either............ we are different and all the same.
Old 28-08-2015, 06:20   #12

Boat: PSC 37

I'm a New Englander, and lived on the west coast of Florida during Charley (and NC coast during Floyd and about 25 other named storms . . . .) But for the grace of god (and what to us was a miraculous "wobble"), Charley would have taken everything from us in Sarasota. I remember walking on the waterfront after it passed, and everyone was looking at each other like the cat who ate the canary. Sarasota dodged a bullet on that one, but Charlotte Harbor was trashed. (I worked for Mote Marine Lab; we were in the harbor within a couple of days getting some baseline data on what happened to the water. It was disgusting, and the homes around it completely devastated. I won't soon forget that. Nor the dead pig floating down the Neuse River after Floyd or some other hurricane in NC.)

Everywhere I've lived, lots of people have taken storms seriously, and lots of people haven't. We're all just people trying to do the best we can given what we have.

And yes, a winter Northeaster can indeed be as serious as a hurricane.

Everyone go back to playing nice, and if you're in the crosshairs of Erika, good luck.
Old 28-08-2015, 06:36   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangann View Post
I'm a New Englander, and lived on the west coast of Florida during Charley (and NC coast during Floyd and about 25 other named storms . . . .) But for the grace of god (and what to us was a miraculous "wobble"), Charley would have taken everything from us in Sarasota. I remember walking on the waterfront after it passed, and everyone was looking at each other like the cat who ate the canary. Sarasota dodged a bullet on that one, but Charlotte Harbor was trashed. (I worked for Mote Marine Lab; we were in the harbor within a couple of days getting some baseline data on what happened to the water. It was disgusting, and the homes around it completely devastated. I won't soon forget that. Nor the dead pig floating down the Neuse River after Floyd or some other hurricane in NC.)

Everywhere I've lived, lots of people have taken storms seriously, and lots of people haven't. We're all just people trying to do the best we can given what we have.

And yes, a winter Northeaster can indeed be as serious as a hurricane.

Everyone go back to playing nice, and if you're in the crosshairs of Erika, good luck.
I was living in Arcadia and my boat was in Charlotte Harbour.
Both in the firing line. We were all grateful for the wobble too.....Sarasota would have been a huge mess.

I did a 34 hour straight shift in the aftermath doing house calls and other things. Spent a lot of time calming some folks down and all of us being extra smiley and positive. Everyone I worked with put their personal problems in the background and worked to get things moving again.

Having been through a few hurricanes after that, it does make a persons bowels clench a little when the weather channel shows a potential hit.
Old 28-08-2015, 06:55   #14
Eternal Member

Quote:
Not humor. We get hurricanes here also.

One point I was trying to make... seems like in some parts of the country, people just sit around, wait for government instructions, then wait for the government to pick them up and reimburse them for damages. But in New England where we get every kind of storm including tornadoes, the people here... Just pick themselves up, and get on with life before and after the storms.

There're still thousands of layabouts living off FEMA ten years after Katrina.
And, the last time a storm of the magnitude of a Katrina, or Andrew, hit New England would have been...?

Of the ten costliest hurricanes in US history, only one - Sandy - affected New England at all, and at best only peripherally...

And, the cost of the most devastating winter storms in the US pales in comparison to that of hurricanes... The cost of Katrina alone far exceeded the dozen most destructive winter storms COMBINED... Additionally, some of the worst winter storms have only marginally impacted New England, but hammered the Deep South with tornadoes, etc., and racking up massive losses of citrus crops, and so on... #3 on the list never made it north of North Carolina, for example...

The 10 most expensive hurricanes in the history of the United States

The Most Expensive Winter Storms in US History | WIRED

Back on topic, the good news is that it seems that Erica has chosen a path that takes her over the mountains of Hispaniola, and may not be anything more than a tropical storm by the time she reaches the US mainland...

Fingers crossed...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 07:17   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
And, the last time a storm of the magnitude of a Katrina, or Andrew, hit New England would have been...?.
'Don't know Jon. Maybe you can fill me in as to when "the last time a storm [and winter] the magnitude" of our 2015 New England winter hit Florida.....?

That would be sub zero temps and 12ft of snow... Extended over a four week period.