Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 09:33   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Erika is a naughty girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
'Don't know Jon. Maybe you can fill me in as to when "the last time a storm [and winter] the magnitude" of our 2015 New England winter hit Florida.....?

That would be sub zero temps and 12ft of snow... Extended over a four week period.
Ken you have no idea what you are talking about. 12' of snow a month is nothing. We had 25' of water in our house in a day. Well at least we did until the flood of water picked our house up and moved it down the block.

You mentioned your friend had to come get you to take you to the hospital for work. Except we didn't have any hospitals because they were all closed from the flood waters. And doctors made the heartbreaking decision to kill patients quickly instead of letting them die slowely in pain because there was no way to move them out of their rooms and onto helicopters. We also didn't have any roads because they were 15' deep with flood waters. And didn't have any cars because they were all flooded as well.

What you are missing is that post-Katrina there was absolutely zero infrastructure working. No power, no water, no gas, no roads, or hospitals, or police.

Even if you lost power during your 'terrible snow storm' worst case you could have gone and stayed in a hotel and found somewhere you wouldn't freeze to death. But New Orleans post Katrina there was no where to go, and no way to get there anyway.

Even Sandy doesn't come close to comparing. While Sandy was devastating to those effected, a few miles inland and life was close to normal. In New Orleans the closest city with power was over an hour drive away. Closest grocery store was an hour, closest place to take a shower was an hour.

Katrina wiped the entire city of New Orleans off the map for a while, and thanks to the hard work and tenacity of its people it has risen from the ashes like a Phoenix. You want to brag about how hardy New Englanders are fine. But until you have spend three months strait working 16 hour days in 100F heat, without AC, running water, food, even the basics of modern civilization you have no idea what you are talking about. And you gravely insult those of us who did so.

I have friends who were doctors in Charity hospital when the decision came down to kill patients because there was nothing left they could do for them. I buried friends from the flood waters. I am lucky and had the resources to rebuilt immediatly, but it still took a year to get the job done.

Ha, people needed help. And when there was no one to offer any because everyone you know was equally in need the only people left to offer it was the government. I hope to god you never have to suffer the same loss, but until you do don't you dare insult those of us who lost everything and needed help to rebuild. You entitled....

It is now the 10 year anaversary of Hurricane Katrina, and I still from time to time find myself crying from the immensity of the loss. I have been to war, done foot patrols down 'sniper ally' in Kosovo, been shot at, had a boat sink out from under me, NOTHING is as bad as what happened to New Orleans during Katrina.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:36   #17
Eternal Member

Quote:
'Don't know Jon. Maybe you can fill me in as to when "the last time a storm [and winter] the magnitude" of our 2015 New England winter hit Florida.....?

That would be sub zero temps and 12ft of snow... Extended over a four week period.
Thanks for the laugh, that has to rate as one of the loonier Apples to Bratwurst comparisons I've seen in quite some time... ;-)

You said it yourself, "New England gets hurricanes, TOO..." On the other hand, no one is suggesting that blizzards and weeks of sub-zero temps ever plague Florida or the Gulf Coast...

Again, I invite you to compare that month you cite last winter with a storm like Katrina - in terms of loss of life and property, homes/businesses/infrastructure destroyed, residents permanently displaced, and the damage assessment registered in the tens of billions... You know, the way in which the power and destructiveness of weather events on a particular region are typically tabulated... Do you really suppose a decade from now, Presidents will gather in New England to commemorate the onset of the Deep Freeze of '15, as they are today in New Orleans?

I've spent some time in Florida in the wake of a couple of hurricanes, and was in South Florida when Wilma rolled through.... If you believe the residents of the Sunshine State were "just sitting around, waiting for government instructions..." and so on, well... then it appear you may be getting a bit too much of your infotainment from cable news, and perhaps one unnamed source, in particular...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:39   #18

Jeez, so much pettiness. Ill just say, Camille.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:48   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Ken you have no idea what you are talking about. ........

It is now the 10 year anaversary of Hurricane Katrina, and I still from time to time find myself crying from the immensity of the loss. I have been to war, done foot patrols down 'sniper ally' in Kosovo, been shot at, had a boat sink out from under me, NOTHING is as bad as what happened to New Orleans during Katrina.
Thank you for placing into words what so many of us who live in hurricane zones feel.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:48   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Thanks for the laugh, that has to rate as one of the loonier Apples to Bratwurst comparisons I've seen in quite some time... ;-)

;-)
Jon,

Lighten up.... I was trying to be as ridiculous as your statement and news figures. I'm glad it made you laugh.

I guess you didn't get it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:53   #21

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Sandy was a tropical storm upon landfall, not hurricane. Nonetheless a huge loss of life and property
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:59   #22

Quote:
Ken you have no idea what you are talking about. 12' of snow a month is nothing. We had 25' of water in our house in a day. Well at least we did until the flood of water picked our house up and moved it down the block.

You mentioned your friend had to come get you to take you to the hospital for work. Except we didn't have any hospitals because they were all closed from the flood waters. And doctors made the heartbreaking decision to kill patients quickly instead of letting them die slowely in pain because there was no way to move them out of their rooms and onto helicopters. We also didn't have any roads because they were 15' deep with flood waters. And didn't have any cars because they were all flooded as well.

What you are missing is that post-Katrina there was absolutely zero infrastructure working. No power, no water, no gas, no roads, or hospitals, or police.

Even if you lost power during your 'terrible snow storm' worst case you could have gone and stayed in a hotel and found somewhere you wouldn't freeze to death. But New Orleans post Katrina there was no where to go, and no way to get there anyway.

Even Sandy doesn't come close to comparing. While Sandy was devastating to those effected, a few miles inland and life was close to normal. In New Orleans the closest city with power was over an hour drive away. Closest grocery store was an hour, closest place to take a shower was an hour.

Katrina wiped the entire city of New Orleans off the map for a while, and thanks to the hard work and tenacity of its people it has risen from the ashes like a Phoenix. You want to brag about how hardy New Englanders are fine. But until you have spend three months strait working 16 hour days in 100F heat, without AC, running water, food, even the basics of modern civilization you have no idea what you are talking about. And you gravely insult those of us who did so.

I have friends who were doctors in Charity hospital when the decision came down to kill patients because there was nothing left they could do for them. I buried friends from the flood waters. I am lucky and had the resources to rebuilt immediatly, but it still took a year to get the job done.

Ha, people needed help. And when there was no one to offer any because everyone you know was equally in need the only people left to offer it was the government. I hope to god you never have to suffer the same loss, but until you do don't you dare insult those of us who lost everything and needed help to rebuild. You entitled....

Good post thanks. I wasnt there, volunteered with the 'Red Crossbut didnt get to make the trip. From what buddies of mine were saying, the worst of it was not even what the storm did but what people did to people,not the least of which was the gub'mint. A quote from one of them....

"I was working for an electric utility mostly on the north shore. As soon as the winds got below 30 mph we went in, officially we couldn't carry arms in company vehicles or on us while working. Our vp selected a group of us that had combat or law enforcement backgrounds and drafted us as security for our employees and our contractors because at that time there wasn't anybody in the area. We littereally took log skidders in with us to push our way in and start making FOB out of our service centers and setting up fuel depos and lz's for the choppers and equipment. The first few days were calm except for the eerie and gory sights, the north shore collected everything that would float from NO and it piled up everywhere in the area. As we got closer to NO coming around the east route things started to heat up because a few days have passed and the people left we're going into full panic mode. Saw and did things that went beyond what I experienced in Iraq. One of the strangest things we had to do was supply the state police with ammo for their rifles, yes, supply ammo to the state police. They had no ammo for rifles, they carried them around for the bluff factor. After a couple weeks our main enemy was FEMA. They started confiscating our fuel, food shipments and our choppers that we used to do aerial line surveys with. Our fuel trucks would remove the placards and only travel between 0000 and 0400 to not get caught. We would have spotters out at the lz's and if anybody looking official was around we would direct the chopper to land at another location. if this didn't make you realize that you needed to be prepared nothing will. I can deal with the looters and thugs but when the government just takes what it wants to do what it thinks it needs to do that is hard to accept and deal with and it made me change the way I do some things now. Just imagine what would happen if something wide spread happened. Katrina's devastation was confined to a relative small area and the infrastructure outside this was still intact and supporting the destroyed area."
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:02   #23

Quote:
I thought that was called "winter". Pretty harsh in Minot and International Falls and the provinces and...
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:07   #24

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:

Thank you Greg, you, we're obviously in the thick of things, as was I.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:09   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I thought that was called "winter". Pretty harsh in Minot and International Falls and the provinces and...
You're correct, we get winter and the storms every year. Usually four to five tropical storms and Noreasters per year, severe thunderstorms happen all the time during the summer. I've yet to hear mid westerners and New Englanders go on and on complaining about it... Ten years on. And yes.... I have been through three hurricanes and know what it's like.

But hey.... I guess the south wants to have a monopoly on sympathy, bad things happening and foul weather.

Geez, some seem to be looking for sympathy here on CF before the tropical storm has even hit!

But some of you are right... I have no idea what it's like to live 15ft below sea level during a hurricane. That's because I've always had enough sense to seek out higher ground, and the common sense to not build my house below sea level.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:19   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:22   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I've lived and owned boats in the Chesapeake Bay, New England, Upper Midwest, Desert Southwest, North Florida, and Southern California. I've seen -37 degrees Fahrenheit, tornadoes, thunderstorms, wild fires, and earthquakes. The only time I suffered a direct hit from a hurricane was in 1976 in New Haven, Connecticut. There aren't supposed to be hurricanes in Connecticut.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:35   #28

As someone who grew up in New England, then moved to the tropics, I can safely say New England storms are absolutely nothing compared to even the afternoon squalls and thunderstorms... nevermind actual named tropical weather.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:39   #29

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Give me those New England Winter storms anytime , seriously a Tropical Cane in your location is like a Doom Day ....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:46   #30

Shucks folks, 4 or 5 tropical storms a year in NE. See how the media and Gov't lie to us. All along here we were told Fl. and the gulf coast is hurricane alley. Take a 10 x 20 or 30 mile stretch of Boston and wipe out everything in it like Andrew did in Miami or damage or destroy a third of the houses in Boston and then flood 2/3 under 10 feet of water like Katrina did, then y'all can talk about what tough ole coots you are. Fact is most of us don't sweat tropical storms or cat1's. But when you come back to your neighborhood and there is no neighborhood left it tends to be a different story. Besides my dad can beat up your dad. so there
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote