Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 20:56   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Sorry, my eyeglasses are not very good, from the thumbnail it resembled the Racor duel system. Blowing up the thumbnail photo revealed a very detailed block diagram drawing which probably is exactly what I have.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 23:42   #32

Boat: Privilege 37
Originally Posted by osirissail
- - I second the deep-six'ing of the BaJa Filter. Not only is it expensive but as mentioned way too slow processing fuel.

I suggest you look at the Racor fuel filters the largest will achieve a flow of 15 gallons per minute! These filters not only filter solids down to .005 inch but also water (but not emulsified). Thus you avoid lumps that can block the pick-up in the tank.
Old 29-08-2009, 06:40   #33

Barter items:

175 ml Smirnoff-1 case

Marlboro cigs-1 case

coffee,6 oz. vac pac bricks-24 ea.
divelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 18:57   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by divelly View Post
Barter items:

175 ml Smirnoff-1 case

Marlboro cigs-1 case

coffee,6 oz. vac pac bricks-24 ea.
Sorry, mate: the forum you meant to post on was "Harley&Hunting", wasn't it?

This one is about cruising too, but in BOATS.

;-)))
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 19:53   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Actually trading items are usually appreciated, the more remote the location the more so. In the land of the pleasure Nazis where smoking and drinking are treated like an infectious disease, we forget that elsewhere, smokers are in the majority. If you have in demand items to exchange, you'll be a popular person.

Personally, wouldn't think of providing cigarettes, but liquor is always in demand if the Mormons haven't beat you there. Hitting the Salvation Army and loading up on used, but good condition clothes is definitely something that's appreciated. When we were in French Polynesia, the ultimate clothing item was US bowling shirts with sponsor logos and embroidered names, the gaudier the better. Sure that fad has passed but we could have lived for free with a few dozen cast off bowling shirts if we'd been forewarned before leaving the mainland.

Now, how did we meander the thread on to this topic???

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 10:22   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
Yeah - it was (is anymore?) 'Equipment for Offshore' ;-))

Has anybody said 'scuba'?

I do think a scuba set is a very good piece of kit - sure not so much offshore, but would love to have one many times when trying to untangle stuff from mine and my friend's propellers.

And if a shower cabin counts as 'equipment' then I add this one here. A narrow one - so that I can get my shower on the passage. I tried showering of deck / in the cockpit but underway I just get tossed about and end up cold, wet & bruised.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 20:25   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yeah - it was (is anymore?) 'Equipment for Offshore' ;-))
Has anybody said 'scuba'?

And if a shower cabin counts as 'equipment' then I add this one here. A narrow one - so that I can get my shower on the passage. I tried showering of deck / in the cockpit but underway I just get tossed about and end up cold, wet & bruised.
b.
Scuba - yeah maybe good but you need to refill the tank(s) which means a very expensive compressor or a lot of tanks. Better idea is a small Hookah -12VDC which you use for bottom work, cleaning, fixing, etc.

"Get your shower on the passage" - dream on . . . unless you are on a very large yacht with watermakers, etc. you will not see any showering underway. What my young wife and I do underway is wear only a safety harness and a smile and use rain water falling from the sky to bathe.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 09:39   #38

Boat: Hinckley B 40 Wolverine
My wife and I are planning for live aboard cruising. This was an interesting thread. I sifted through it and compiled a list of everything mentioned with the exception of personal indulgences if anyone cares for a copy. I plan to refine the list. But as we search for a boat I hope the list will help me identify the better equipped from the others. Buying all this stuff retail would use up most of our boat budget.
Gaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 09:59   #39

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord View Post
My wife and I are planning for live aboard cruising. This was an interesting thread. I sifted through it and compiled a list of everything mentioned with the exception of personal indulgences if anyone cares for a copy. I plan to refine the list. But as we search for a boat I hope the list will help me identify the better equipped from the others. Buying all this stuff retail would use up most of our boat budget.
First,
Welcome aboard and........ Good luck with your search!
Second,
Absolutely, I'd like a copy of your list.

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 13:18   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
You don't need much, but you do need some things. Here's a few suggestions:

To keep you from getting lost:
GPS and charts or Chartplotter w electronic charts (and a few paper charts just in case)
depth sounder

To get you there:
fuel and oil filters
spare parts (engine, plumbing, autopilot, sail repair kit, spare oil)
dinghy
maintenance books - electrical, engine, plumbing, etc
windex or telltales
spare lines
tool kit
spare fuses, bulbs, circuit breakers, engine key

To keep you informed:
VHF @ masthead for max range - some handhelds allow you to connect an external antenna and you can probably get enough range with the antenna at spreader height)
general coverage radio for marine, net, and local broadcasts of news, weather, events
cruising guides

To keep you fed:
basic cook kit & pressure cooker
coffee pot (?)
basic cooking utensils and condiments
food for 50% more than the number of days you'll be between ports
Joy detergent

To keep you safe:
medical kit
PFDs
safety harness
Medical books - "Where there is...." series are pretty good
mask, fins, snorkel - to dive the anchor, check for problems underwater, see stuff
flashlight
Old 22-05-2010, 13:47   #41

Essential Equipment List

Thanks for the additional. Some great stuff I had not thought of. I had been wondering if a standard first aid kit was enough. A small medical kit with either a needle & thread for stitches or some of the fabric or chemical superglue would seem like a good idea. I don't know about anyone else but I don't go anywhere without some Advil or other pain suppressant. A splint and ACE bandages seems like an affordable contribution as well. Is there a doctor out there with an opinion?
Old 23-05-2010, 09:32   #42

In addition to any medical supply advice I would also like to document what some of you feel is poor or ill conceived equipment. I thought of asking for what is best but if there is equipment out there which just doesn't stand the test of time it might make a shorter list.

We just took our dog for a walk then to the brook behind our house. We fended off the biting flies but Rocky our dog did not fair so well. They seem to like the top of his head which now has welts and looks like we beat him with a ball peen hammer. So insect control is now on my list and antihistamine. I am going to check for other threads if anyone has a suggestion that would best help with this research.
Old 23-05-2010, 21:23   #43

What not to bring

Anything you don't understand how it works, unless it's a 'disposable'. (Handheld GPS, for me, is a "disposable", and I keep a spare in the ditch bag.)

I have a VHF which I barely understand, but could never fix if it broke. I also rarely use it other than to listen to the weather, but that I listen to incessantly. For now it stays.

My boat, and my needs, are pretty simple. I like it that way as I tend to go out quite a ways, and stay out for as long as I can, and do pretty well for a coastal sailor. I'm not a world cruiser, nor likely to be barring unexpected life changes, but I think I wouldn't change much if I headed south excepting gear to keep cool in southern climes - shades/boom tents/etc.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 21:54   #44

Boat: Swan 56
ISAF Cat 1

A good starting point for getting the boat ready to go offshore:

Cat 1 for monohulls
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 08:14   #45

We have been pondering the communications thing quite a bit. You could buy multiple components and services, or a device that can fill more than one need (want). My wife would appreciate similar conveniences to ashore but is now getting used to the idea of planning communication and entertainment at sea. Anything is possible but at what cost? Rather have a safe strong boat and go somewhere. Bewitched left a great link for evaluating the necessary safety equipment and I found Appendix C a checklist for pre-departure. ISAF : Appendix C - Standard Inspection Card