Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 18:34   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: EPIRB battery replacement

I am with you John. It isn't like they preassure test the housings to make sure they are still waterproof. Or replace all the seals, or test all the constants to ensure functionality. And they certainly don't use check all the antennas to make sure they are in good condition and getting a good signal.

No doubt about it paying an expert to confirm the functionality of life saving gear is just rediculious. This is also why if I ever go sky diving I am just going to pack my parachute myself. No reason to pay someone to or me. After all how hard is it to stuff some fabric in a bag.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:01   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I am with you John. It isn't like they preassure test the housings to make sure they are still waterproof. Or replace all the seals, or test all the constants to ensure functionality. And they certainly don't use check all the antennas to make sure they are in good condition and getting a good signal.

No doubt about it paying an expert to confirm the functionality of life saving gear is just rediculious. This is also why if I ever go sky diving I am just going to pack my parachute myself. No reason to pay someone to or me. After all how hard is it to stuff some fabric in a bag.
OK I'm
Is this really all tongue in cheek or…

There is such a mix of fact and fiction I'm not sure…

Greg, you are usually very factual and straight to the point but this time - maybe; maybe not.

And the sky diving reference, presumably many have their pack done by others yet many also insist of doing the packing themselves. At least that is how it is among the few sky diving people I associate with.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:03   #18

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

Of course, I think you are the only one I've seen who posts a non-nautical profession as part of their signature.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:32   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
That sounded a bit positive... ?
OK, I'm ready for the next round of personal attacks and negativity...
If this were an aviation device or a certified life raft beacon that would be one thing. If you want to solder in a new batt go for it. I don't get the complaints, you turn it on and it puts out a signal. It might help somebody find you..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:58   #20
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

No. I am not one of the people causing a false alarm and who the hell are you to judge me? It was dead. Battery and all. I now have a current 406 beacon which is properly registered as well as all the FCC paperwork required in the US. Those old beacons are worthless if they are not acted upon if one is in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:04   #21
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Sarsat.noaa.gov is the link for reference.

CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:43   #22

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If this were an aviation device or a certified life raft beacon that would be one thing. If you want to solder in a new batt go for it. I don't get the complaints, you turn it on and it puts out a signal. It might help somebody find you..

NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Beacon Battery Warning

This link explains why you shouldn't do it. As I said in my OP, your life or that of your crew is not worth the $100 of savings.. simple as that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:52   #23

I would change my own battery in a EPIRB. But I am also the person that changes his own brakes on the car and does his own engine work and splices the anchor rode to anchor chain (all of which could be considered safety equipment and if not done properly could be risking life). In fact, I actually feel more comfortable doing it myself knowing that it was absolutely done properly.

But that's me and as someone stated earlier, some people really shouldn't go there...
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
No. I am not one of the people causing a false alarm and who the hell are you to judge me? It was dead. Battery and all. I now have a current 406 beacon which is properly registered as well as all the FCC paperwork required in the US. Those old beacons are worthless if they are not acted upon if one is in trouble.

Your actions ARE! YES! It is people like you causing false alarms. YES.

I'm not judging you, I'm just judging your actions as irresponsible and to prove my point your maintaining you have done nothing wrong. YES, if a signal from a 121 is received by a plane flying over, then they are acted on and because of how inaccurate they are numerous resources could be wasted trying to locate it. The following link is one that happened just last month.

Active emergency beacon dumped at Tasmanian tip sparks rescue search - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

There are numerous advertising campaigns warning people not to do what you did..
Old 03-11-2015, 12:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I would change my own battery in a EPIRB. But I am also the person that changes his own brakes on the car and does his own engine work and splices the anchor rode to anchor chain (all of which could be considered safety equipment and if not done properly could be risking life). In fact, I actually feel more comfortable doing it myself knowing that it was absolutely done properly.

But that's me and as someone stated earlier, some people really shouldn't go there...
There's always someone who will post nonsense. None of that is similar to changing epirb batteries.

Hell, I change my own stirrups on my horse and done incorrectly, could be risking life.
Old 03-11-2015, 13:17   #26

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
There's always someone who will post nonsense. ....
It takes one to know one!
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 13:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
It takes one to know one!

oh, that's so funny, you just crack me up.

Seriously
Old 03-11-2015, 13:30   #28

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Beacon Battery Warning

This link explains why you shouldn't do it. As I said in my OP, your life or that of your crew is not worth the $100 of savings.. simple as that.

Using an old 121.5 beacon has nothing to do with any, long distance search and rescue. It's for the plane flying through the **** or a boat looking for somebody in the water. It's for up close stuff. It's in the mountains that 121.5 sucks. It reflects and bounces around a lot. In open water it's not that difficult to 0 in.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 13:35   #29

Quote:
There's always someone who will post nonsense. None of that is similar to changing epirb batteries.

Hell, I change my own stirrups on my horse and done incorrectly, could be risking life.
Nonsense? You really should read some of your own posts...

Its a battery in a device that can be owner tested. You install the battery and test it and then hope you never need it. Unlike the other things I mentioned which you will use every day.

And BTW, nonsense is thinking that stirrups might in someway be risky. Anyone that can really ride a horse can ride without stirrups.

To each their own.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 15:19   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Hello folks,

The discussion seems to be getting off topic a bit. I would like to remind you all of the be nice guideline. There is some valuable and interesting information in this thread. There are also some strongly held opinions, which is fine so long as it doesn't get carried away.

I look forward to finding out if a consensus is reached.

Regards,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, epirb, men