Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 15:30   #166

Re: Environmental impact of sailing activities

Here's a bit of interesting water usage info, https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles...-running-water

So as cruisers we definitely don't waste water like landlubbers, especially city folk!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 15:48   #167
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Here's a bit of interesting water usage info, https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles...-running-water

So as cruisers we definitely don't waste water like landlubbers, especially city folk!
True, but we’re also surrounded by billions of gallons of sea water just waiting to be run through a watermaker and made into fresh water so we can waste as much as we like.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 15:55   #168

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
Over in fUSA, their consteetushun clearly says:
"...necessary to a free state..."

To the free state of mind, I add the free states of spirit and free states of financial...

Down here in Oz, we have six States.....

....and a cuppla Territories.....

[Ducks, and runs for cover.....]
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 05:38   #169

Boat: No own vessel, only charter.

I just stumbled upon another relevant issue "Aquatic hitchhikers" regarding environmental impact which I will include in a revised version of the original article.

I think it is extremely relevant for cruisers passing though multiple aquatic ecosystems. Never thought about as I am usually sailing within limited geographic areas.

There is an initiative already dealing with it .. Home - Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers

Short intro..
"Recreational activities such as recreational boating, angling, waterfowl hunting, and diving may spread aquatic invasive species. Some aquatic invasive species can attach to boats, while others can become tangled on propellers, anchor lines, or boat trailers. Many species can survive in bilge water, ballast tanks, and motors or may hide in dirt or sand that clings to nets, buckets, anchors, and waders. Fortunately, completing simple steps can prevent the transport of aquatic invasive species. Remember to clean, drain, dry… In every waterbody, every time."
serol1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 05:46   #170
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Environmental impact of sailing activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by serol1971 View Post
I just stumbled upon another relevant issue "Aquatic hitchhikers" regarding environmental impact which I will include in a revised version of the original article.

I think it is extremely relevant for cruisers passing though multiple aquatic ecosystems. Never thought about as I am usually sailing within limited geographic areas.

There is an initiative already dealing with it .. Home - Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers

Short intro..
"Recreational activities such as recreational boating, angling, waterfowl hunting, and diving may spread aquatic invasive species. Some aquatic invasive species can attach to boats, while others can become tangled on propellers, anchor lines, or boat trailers. Many species can survive in bilge water, ballast tanks, and motors or may hide in dirt or sand that clings to nets, buckets, anchors, and waders. Fortunately, completing simple steps can prevent the transport of aquatic invasive species. Remember to clean, drain, dry… In every waterbody, every time."
Methinks Mersk shipping alone does more harm in this area in 1 year than all the sailboats put together.
Kinda shutting the stable door after..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 11:12   #171

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
True, but we’re also surrounded by billions of gallons of sea water just waiting to be run through a watermaker and made into fresh water so we can waste as much as we like.
Someone will probably dissect that down to the power used by the watermaker. :-)
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 12:04   #172
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Someone will probably dissect that down to the power used by the watermaker. :-)
Then I’d need to inform them of how I extract energy from the sun via solar panels to power the DC Spectra watermakers, or make it while motoring underway off excess amps produced by the alternator.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 16:40   #173

Boat: Still building

The issue of invasive species is taken seriously, despite past ****-ups like the zebra mussels in the Great Lakes and starfish and urchins in southern Australian waters.
Fines for dumping bilgewater are now pretty significant in most Western countries.
NZ, for example, does not allow boats to sail to the Auckland islands without proof of a bottom clean and a certificate from an 'approved examiner'.
They are attempting to return the Aucklands to a pre-humanity state and have already removed all the feral goats, pigs and rats that humans allowed to travel there and establish themselves.
Pigs were especially destructive of the fragile sub-antarctic megaherbs, which have shown significant recovery since eradication of the pigs, especially on Adams Island.
It's probably only viable or even possible to limit access to these islands that are so remote.
I imagine not many sailboats reach Kerguelen, Heard Is or Macquarie Is for that matter. Only the former has any real 'safe harbour', anyway. Heard Is has an anchorage, but Macquarie can't even boast that, except on a calm day.
But increases in yacht traffic in formerly relatively inaccessible areas, such as the North West Passage, Greenland, and to a lesser extent, Tierra del Fuego, may see such measures effected in these areas as well.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
environment, men, sail, sailing