Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2018, 14:10   #151

Re: Environmental impact of sailing activities

Gentlemen: Please belay the growing inter-member irritation that seems to be degrading this thread!

Provided we all remember the BE NICE rule, I, personally, have no objection to discussion of topics as important to us all as ACC, Nuclear Power and The Queen's English, although we DO have a rule that discussions must be kept relevant to sailing and cruising.

And to make that comment abundantly clear (now where did I pick up that phrase?) I stress that that is MY opinion. One other moderator is looking at the thread with a jaundiced eye, and should it come to it, we moderators act in unison. I COULD be voted down!

So please do belay!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 14:13   #152

Boat: True North 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Gentlemen: Please belay the growing inter-member irritation that seems to be degrading this thread!

Provided we all remember the BE NICE rule, I, personally, have no objection to discussion of topics as important to us all as ACC, Nuclear Power and The Queen's English, although we DO have a rule that discussions must be kept relevant to sailing and cruising.

And to make that comment abundantly clear (now where did I pick up that phrase?) I stress that that is MY opinion. One other moderator is looking at the thread with a jaundiced eye, and should it come to it, we moderators act in unison. I COULD be voted down!

So please do belay!

TrentePieds

Consider it belayed, for my part.
Knapweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 14:18   #153

Thank you kindly Knapweed :-)!

TP
Old 13-11-2018, 14:19   #154

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapweed View Post
75% of electricity in France is generated by Nuclear power. It's clean and very cheap; so cheap in fact, it exports $3 billion per year to neighbouring countries. It also generates NO CO2, SO2 or any other greenhouse gas. In addition, the electricity provided, if applied to transport, removes any and all air pollution from our cities and countryside.

The problem, of course, is that the Eco-warriors back in the day demonised nuclear power through ignorance and fear-mongering, just like they do today. There is plenty of room for development, e.g. Thorium reactors, which are not even capable of meltdown, require more research but overall look very promising and even cheaper.

The fact that nuclear power, a proven energy source with ZERO greenhouse gasses is still being demonised, speaks to me of complete insincerity amongst the 'Manmade global warming" brigade.

Of course, fusion is the ideal, however, until that day arrives Nuclear fission is a great alternative to the disgustingly filthy way we produce electricity today, which the World Health Organisation considers responsible for 3 million deaths a year.
But who are we leaving the spent rods to for disposal our great grand kids? It may be clean today but someone needs to pay the piper.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 14:19   #155

Boat: Rafiki 37

Agreed TP.

To pick up the threads of this thread , it would be interesting to see a full environmental assessment of someone living the typical cruising lifestyle vs someone living the typical land based lifestyle. That, to me, is the useful comparison if we’re looking at ecological footprints.
Old 13-11-2018, 14:26   #156

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agreed TP.

To pick up the threads of this thread , it would be interesting to see a full environmental assessment of someone living the typical cruising lifestyle vs someone living the typical land based lifestyle. That, to me, is the useful comparison if we’re looking at ecological footprints.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 14:57   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
But who are we leaving the spent rods to for disposal our great grand kids? It may be clean today but someone needs to pay the piper.

The best approach seems to be to store (not bury and forget) the spent fuel in geologically stable locations, in the hopes that in future the spent fuel can be reprocessed into a different fuel or otherwise safely consumed in better reactors.

Nuclear should be considered a bridge technology, not the new normal, that will help buy us time ( 1 to 2 centuries?) to kick the fossil fuel habit and develop and refine cleaner, more sustainable energy sources.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 15:07   #158

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I

I confess I only scanned the pdf version of the article and read through most of the thread. A few observations:

What I thought of the content of the article you asked everyone to review is almost irrelevant. I assume you wrote it to raise awarness and make people think. Ten pages of replies would say it accomplishes that goal. Whether someone ultimately comes at it from the "greener" or "denier" aspect or somewhere in between, most will still give whatever impact they have a modicum more thought. Well done.

I imagine most cruisers on this forum are relatively conservationists. Whether due to financial necessity, space and resource management, a tendency toward frugality, or simply because they have focused a significant part of their life on enjoying nature. A fair number of people here are likely also fairly independently minded - else they would be on a cruise ship forum rather than a cruisers forum. So it isn't surprising so many of these types of questions turn on political views and frustrations rather than the precise topic.

Really, that is probably all I can usefully add. So unless looking for a bit more data and opinion, you can stop reading here. ��

Factually, I can say I use fewer resources as a liveaboard on a 38' GRP sailboat made in 1982 than when I was living in a major city (Seattle) in a wooden house built in 1929. As you will see, that is probably a safer statement if I never leave the dock. GRP vs wood vs whatever is irrelevant unless you had it built for you. It is a sunk cost environmentally speaking. That energy and attendant resources were burned/created regardless whether I purchased them years later or not.

My boat is about 100 miles north of Seattle, so the sources and costs of materials consumed are basically unchanged. I use about $40 worth of electricity on the boat every month with most of that being a space heater in Winter. I used about $100 worth of electricity every month in my house INDEPENDENT of my oil (diesel) furnace and wood stove. That works out to be about 6500 Kwh more electricty per year which would require roughly 170 gallons of diesel to produce (making it as close to apples to apples as I can). In Winter I used about 350 gallons oil (diesel) for the season. Away from the marina I use a diesel engine and Webasto diesel furnace to heat the boat and water. Using the engine for motoring, anchoring, docking, etc., would require perhaps 250 gallons of diesel (extrapolating my known use of five gallons per week out for a year). My furnace uses about 2.5 gallons of fuel in 24 hours during PNW Winter, so even if I were off the dock (and using none of the above electricity to heat), I would require approx. 100 gallons of diesel per month to heat the boat from November through March - so 500 gallons total. Totalling all diesel fuel usage then, I would be using about 750 gallon of diesel in a year on the boat. I use far less gasoline now than when I commuted to work in Seattle, but that is a different discussion really. What is relevant is the gasoline I would use driving to beaches or mountains if I weren't already on the water or anchored in a bay, so its fair to say that saves me at least 100 gallons of gasoline each year. So it would seem that if I lived completely on the hook, I would have used about 825 gallons of diesel/gasoline to meet all energy needs, but then my electricity usage would have dropped to zero - I have roughly 400 watts solar panels feeding 425 amps of carbon foam battery. In order to balance that I would have to add another 10 gallons of diesel to create the saved electricty from being connected to the dock. (Yes, that sentence is intentionally convoluted, but underscores that I use less actual energy to heat the boat tied to the dock than away from the dock). And then figure out how much energy is required to create solar panels and carbon foam batteries. Oh, and 100 gallons of propane covers my annual cooking and while I have a propane driven outboard, I mostly use an inflatable kayak with oars. It's just easier.

I use about 50 gallons of water per week on board which includes using a composting toilet. I shower at the marina on a timer and wash clothes there, but even accounting for those differences I am confident I used twice as much water weekly on land. So likely 200 gallons of water a month or 2400 gallons per year more water. As mentioned I effectively create no blackwater sewage and use environmentally non-polluting soaps otherwise. Of course, the head is made of polymers, but requires no copper or pvc pipes ...

So where does that leave me? For various reasons doing all I can to reduce usage and waste - just like most cruisers. The single biggest difference in usage is all because of space. It is simply much easier to heat and light a 38' sailboat than a 2200 sqft home. And its easier to kayak to shore than drive to the mountains or beach.

None of my choices are due to concerns over global warming. I grew up around nuclear energy and watched it all but destroyed in this country by mostly well-meaning, misinformed people. Sound familiar? My choices are driven and constrained mostly by the same motivations as nearly every other person I know: finances, skill-sets, limited space, personal preference and tolerance. The land-bound version of me was no better or worse than the boat-bound version of me.

My point in working through all that minutia is this: Holding a particular political belief doesnt make me wiser or better than anyone else. And some questions are far too complex for quick assumptions and answers. If a politician is the "expert" telling me something or funding the expert telling me something? Ummm ...

Listening to other ideas, looking at the best facts I can find, being thoughtful and reflective, and always being mindful that not everyone is as altruistic and decent as most people on a cruising forum, seems the best way for me to develop reasonable solutions to problems to the degree I can affect them.

I find I am most thoughtful and reflective when I am sailing or sitting on a boat drinking a warm beverage in a nice little harbor. I recently read Einstein felt the same way. That would seem to be good company to keep.

So thank you for taking the time to write a well researched, thought provoking article. It got me to examine my own habits, motivations, and question my own assumptions. That is a success to me.
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:02   #159

And a kind “thank you” to you too, Mike :-)!

Now, Cadence asks who we are leaving the "spent fuel" to, and Elzaar points out that the value of this thread is that it may raise awareness of the multiplicity of issues that need to be evaluated in any attempt to be "green". Let us spare a thought for the poor people in California who at this time are bearing the burden of our getting green too late, and for the poor people on the coast of the GofM and on the Eastern Seaboard who recently were visited by calamity for that very same reason.

In response to Cadence I offer a couple of links which address the issue that concerns him. The former one links to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, the latter to an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail, considered Canada's premiere daily news organ. IMO the former is not without bias as all government “information” devices necessarily must have bias, and the latter I consider tendentious for reasons I probably need not elaborate.

Nevertheless, it might be worth pointing out that we Canadians were “early adopters” of nuclear power generation, and that we have not in the 70 years our CANDU reactors have been on line had any kind of serious accident at a generator station. But safety at an active reactor is, of course, a very different problem to solve than is the problem of the safety of “spent fuel” at a storage facility.

Radioactive waste - CanadianÂ*Nuclear SafetyÂ*Commission

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...nadas-nuclear-
waste/article23178848/

TP
Old 13-11-2018, 16:05   #160
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agreed TP.

That would be me. The one with an environmentally beneficial footprint on both land and sea.

What would you like to know?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:22   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What would you like to know?
Are you still opposed to responding to AGW in an organized, cooperative manner?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:30   #162

I'll remember this thread with a smile the next time I'm darting across that purple traffic lane under full sail, dodging smoky container ships to get into the clean wind. You know, those ships powered by that dirty Heavy Fuel Oil that is literally the sludge left over from refineries?

Hey, the topic is a good one. Be aware of your own environmental footprint, sure.
I choose to enjoy the ironic bits, however.

One of my favorite such ironic bits is the smug California politicians who are so proudly shutting down the very last one of the state's nuclear power plants, causing even more state imports of coal-based electricity, causing even more crud to belch out of the smoke stacks of neighboring Arizona's Navajo Generating Station onto the pristine water of Lake Powell, which eventually becomes drinking water for California.

People do some weird things to make themselves feel better about the environment: some of them unintentionally hilarious.
I'm just gonna sail and not worry too much.
You do you, Cyan.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 16:36   #163

Boat: Still building

The issue of the 'sunk cost' (energy wise) of a boat built in 1982 (for example) is a moot point...

The real issue - from an environmental perspective - is the "embodied energy" used to produce the boat, and then the "lifetime energy usage equivalent".

To explain that: the difference in embodied energy in a wooden boat as opposed to a fibreglass boat is that more trees can be grown to replace the timber used in the wooden boat, so potentially a 'zero sum'. No impact.

Whereas the oil and electricity and/or coal used to produce the fibreglass, the resin etc etc etc, that has an embodied energy cost, which has to be amortised over the life of the vessel.

It's like the argument for and against buying a new car. Will the tiny improvement in fuel efficiency offset the massive amount of embodied energy involved in making all the components that go into a new car?

The basic science says not.

So in fact, we're better off using older cars for longer, but at some point, that comparison reaches a zero sum.

For example, if comparing a 7-litre V8 Caddy from the Seventies to say a 1-litre turbo-charged city runabout today.

Even if the "design life" of the runabout is only 10 years, it *might* be producing less CO2 and energy cost than the Caddy, even over its relatively shorter life span, than the Caddy has over its much longer lifespan.

In other words, the Caddy is still consuming 13mpg while the runabout gets 70mpg.... but because the runabout will fall apart in 10 years (maybe) and require replacement (with all the embodied energy in that) while the Caddy can go on for another 30 years (probably) continuing to amortise it's *original* embodied energy cost, at what point does the overall energy consumption balance out??? If it does???

If that makes sense to anyone....

I'm not sure yet if we've reached that point, but it would need a LOT of genuine, scientific measuring to come up with the answer.

So for now, I continue to drive my 25-yr-old Toyota that gets 33mpg, rather than "upgrading" to a more modern car (a Prius??) that gets 78mpg, as the embodied energy in the Prius is probably a lot greater than the (diminishing towards zero) embodied energy factor in my old Corolla. And as the Corolla has only 150,00km on the clock, and I do around 10,000km p.a., the lifespan of the Corolla is probably another 20 years, at my rate of usage, but if I switched to a smaller car with much lower fuel consumption, would that overall usage equation balance out somewhere over that 20 years...???

Personally, I doubt it, but it probably would for someone doing higher miles and consuming more fuel and oil.

So, basically, YMMV.....as will mine....

And perhaps it is / will be the same with boats, if anyone ever gets around to calculating such energy consumption / embodied energy factors...??

Also need to factor in is that a wooden boat might also use natural fibres for its lines and sails (as used to be the case) so fully sustainable, 100% replaceable. No environmental impact. (But for now lets not count the water and electricity used to make ropes and canvas.....but it is a factor...so noted...)

So whereas the fibreglass or steel boat has a much higher embodied energy quotient, thanks to the mining of the oil, iron ore, coal etc used to produce it, plus the electricity-from-coal used to actually make the actual boat.

BUT.....if the fibreglass boat lasts 60 years (many have done so and are still afloat) while the wooden boat rots away in less than that (as used to happen) then does the cutting down of *another* forest to make the second boat (required to make up the time to 60 years and so make up for the rotted one) not negate the embodied energy in the 'glass or steel boat???

I know, I know, there are 100+-yr-old wooden boats still sailing, and lots of wooden boats from the Sixties still sailing....but most 'old wooden boats' have gone to Davy Jones. Especially work boats. Yachts there are plenty, but again, not all, because other than sinking or actual run-over-it-with-a-dozer destruction, most fibreglass boats built are probably still around today. (Exaggeration for the purpose of making a point, not a scientifically measured fact...).

I don't know, and I don't believe anyone really does know, but it *would* be interesting to see an academically researched paper that went into such questions in much, much, more detail.

As a further point, to illustrate the 'unknowns' - someone mentioned man-made ropes earlier, and the fraying of said ropes into 'microfibres' that are having an 'unknown' effect on the environment and the food chain, but which is beginning to be of concern to scientists studying microplankton and other small organisms, who are now seeing increasing quantities of microplastics embedded in the tissues of such organisms, not just in their gut (like seabirds or turtles, dying from plastic bag ingestion). This "environmental impact" is currently 'unquantifiable' but clearly is becoming an issue. Time will tell how much of an issue, but, in the meantime, do we go on recklessly, regardlessly, discarding such 'waste' into the environment? Can we even, practically, prevent it???

So, to be "pure" and "fully sustainable" should be be going to back to wooden boats (perhaps epoxy-sheathed for longevity..??) and natural fibres like flax and cotton for lines and sails...??

I don't see anyone arguing for that level of "sustainability" on this (or any other) forum. But, strictly speaking, to reduce our "impact" to zero or better, those are the sorts of steps we perhaps should be contemplating.

Certainly, that's what the Prius-driving hippie-crites would have us believe. And forget MUSTO, we'd be back to animal skins for warmth, and air-filled intestines for floatation. NOT!

So, like others have said, I think, on balance of probabilities, a sailboat, even a relatively new, fibreglass sailboat, probably has less impact over its lifestyle than even a wooden boat of the same size, especially if that wooden boat is not sheathed to keep out teredo worm and rot.

But the 'balance' is going to be, necessarily, subjective, and each sailor (and boat owner) will have a slightly different take on what is, to *them* the more important factors in this equation.

Wood, or fibreglass? Sheathed or not sheathed? Natural ropes or synthetic? Maybe it might even be possible to sheathe Dyneema in natural fibre outer sheathing, as that wears first and fastest??? Wood-fired stove for heating (burning driftwood) or diesel-powered furnace??

And again, as I said previously, how relative is that - probably very small - impact of the microfibres from synthetic sails and lines, compared to the impact of trash washing unhindered into the oceans from both developed (but especially) developing countries?

For example, one 'monsoon's worth' of rubbish-choked run-off into the oceans might dump more microplastics in one hit than the entire whole-of-life degradation and production of microfibres of the entire world's yacht fleet for the next 50 years....

So, should we give a toss...???? Or not?? Or by how much of a toss??

Again, it will come down to 'personal choice' and we must respect each other's individual choices. No right or wrong answers here.

On the subject of nuclear power, on the other hand, if we say it's a "better" solution than coal-burning power stations, we are being, at best, disingenuous. It's not just the lack of acceptable long-term storage of the intractable waste that's the issue for the wider population (and by that I don't mean just the greenies - I mean *all* the general population) it is the lack of 100% guaranteed safeguards against nuclear explosion, meltdown and widespread contamination that is the issue.

Remember Chernobyl and Pripyat?? Unable to be safely inhabited for 100,000 years or so. How much more of the planet can we risk that happening to??? Not an acceptable risk, IMHO, and it appears the general public agrees with that view.

So, sorry, no, "fission" is most definitely NOT the answer to our present problem. "Fusion" or "thorium" *might* be a solution, down track, if we can figure it out. But we're not even close to that point yet. Emphasis, yet.

Add to that the cost of building a nuke plant these days, and renewables are already in front, financially. It's actually cheaper to build renewables now than coal-fired plants, megawatt for megawatt.

OK, accepted, that's "production per watt cost only" - not "balanced deliverable power cost" which requires the addition of mega-batteries like the one Tesla recently built here in South Australia, but, even that cost is dropping almost while we watch.

And please do remember that the *real* cost of coal, oil and gas-fired generation does NOT include a 'correcting factor' for the *actual* cost to the environment, to health sytems, etc etc. If it did, renewables would probably be WAY cheaper, even with the additional cost of the 'balancing batteries'.

That much at least the economists HAVE calculated. Without the "cost of carbon" being factored into the cost of coal/oil/gas-fired power, renewable generation is ALREADY cheaper than fossil fuel generation.

I read recently that a solar PV plant capable of generating power for the whole planet would be about 350 square kilometres in size. Do any of you realise how big Australia is and how much sunlight falls on it?

At that rate, in central Australia's Great Victoria Desert alone we could put enough solar panels to power 10 planets (at our current rate of usage).

Of course, we might need a lithium battery the size of Ireland to balance that power into the grid, but hey.....we're talking 'stardust' for the moment. Pure "hypotheticals".

But molten salt batteries, and other cheaper battery tech, is coming on stream to do just that, so, it really is just a matter of time.

So those of us on sailboats, with a few solar panels and a cuppla batteries providing all the power we need on a day to day basis, right now, today - well, we're just ahead of the curve!!!

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 06:40   #164

I think the key part of 'environmental' is 'mental'.

Over in fUSA, their consteetushun clearly says:
"...necessary to a free state..."

To the free state of mind, I add the free states of spirit and free states of financial.

I am particularly-passionate about the free states of associating with those individuals I choose... and not associating with anybody else.

But I am a geezer with a spectacularly-low tolerance for nincompoops... and a vivid memory of The Way It Was™.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 07:47   #165

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Anywhere in the world, a concern for the environment, or being an environmentalist, would be one of the surer signs of sanity (i.e. not mental), whilst a disregard for the environment would be a sure sign of insanity, or at least some sort of death wish.

Be interesting to hear where in the US Constitution the words "...necessary to a free state..." are written.

Even in the 2nd Amendment, which is part of the Bill of Rights, the words are "...necessary to the security of a free state...", and have nothing to do anyone's freedom of either 'mind, spirit or financial'.

Bill of Rights
https://www.archives.gov/founding-do...hts-transcript

Constitution
https://www.archives.gov/founding-do...ion-transcript

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
environment, men, sail, sailing