Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 13:35   #1

English Channel: Sailing conditions in November?

Hi all,
In mid November I plan to sail first time English Channel (Hamble - Channel Islands). Please advise on sailing conditions this time of the year.

Thanks!
Dmitri
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 13:55   #2
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Re: English Channel: Sailing conditions in November?

It depends on the weather................

No, not a smart a**e answer, the crossing is 70 miles and given UK weather systems you will get a suitable slot you may just have to wait for a few days.
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 14:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDH View Post
It depends on the weather................

No, not a smart a**e answer, the crossing is 70 miles and given UK weather systems you will get a suitable slot you may just have to wait for a few days.
What are weather statistics for November? How many bad days on average to expect? (Can't find this on Internet)
Old 07-10-2012, 14:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The weather isn't predicable and can be anything from a F8-9 storm to flat calm windless, clear and cold. Snow doesn't normally appear until January.

If you allow yourself some time say 10 days you will have a variety of conditions and with the excellent short term weather forecasts out to 5 days ahead it will be achievable.

However, be aware that by November days will be short, dawn at 7am and sunset at 5pm, (4.30pm in Dec)

Alderney is on route and is 58 miles from the Needles to Braye Harbour safe in most conditions apart from N - NW. St Peters Port another 20 miles, but you must work the tides correctly, 9 knots of tide on springs through the race.

Prevailing weather is wind from the SW, however, a high can give cold clear and windless North Easterlies, did I say they were cold? they are as the wind comes down from Scandinavia. If you rap up warm they can be magical sailing conditions.

This harbour wall is probably 15m high, I walked the dog along it in July and we paddled off the slipway, but in a storm you would be in trouble.

Alderney Storm 9 December 2007 - YouTube

[/QUOTE]
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 14:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The weather isn't predicable and can be anything from a F8-9 storm to flat calm windless, clear and cold. Snow doesn't normally appear until January.

If you allow yourself some time say 10 days you will have a variety of conditions and with the excellent short term weather forecasts out to 5 days ahead it will be achievable.

However, be aware that by November days will be short, dawn at 7am and sunset at 5pm, (4.30pm in Dec)

Alderney is on route and is 58 miles from the Needles to Braye Harbour safe in most conditions apart from N - NW. St Peters Port another 20 miles, but you must work the tides correctly, 9 knots of tide on springs through the race.

Prevailing weather is wind from the SW, however, a high can give cold clear and windless North Easterlies, did I say they were cold? they are as the wind comes down from Scandinavia. If you rap up warm they can be magical sailing conditions.

Pete
A superb summary.

The only quibble I might have concerns weather windows -- if the weather settles into a dreary pattern, as it did April through June this year, you might never get that weather window at all.

But in my experience, November brings quite often wonderful sailing around here -- often cold and calm and sunny -- magical, as Pete said. You might be motoring, but you can take some comfort in the fact that you can buy diesel duty free in Guernsey or Jersey.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 14:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

However, ...
Thanks for the detailed info! I will have only 5 days. Yet, as an option I can sail along the coast staring from Hamble, without going to Channel Islands at all. Don't think that this route will give me more sailing days in November, though
What winter month is best for sailing Channel?
Old 07-10-2012, 14:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
Thanks for the detailed info! I will have only 5 days. Yet, as an option I can sail along the coast staring from Hamble, without going to Channel Islands at all. Don't think that this route will give me more sailing days in November, though
On the contrary -- if the weather does not serve for a Channel crossing, there are a multitude of destinations along the coast, which might be reasonable in a gale which you would not want to tackle cross-Channel.

In the Solent -- Cowes, Beaulieu, Yarmouth, Portsmouth. To the West -- Poole, Studland Bay, Worbarrow Cove, Weymouth, Portland -- further West, across Lyme Bay -- Dartmouth, Salcombe . . .

One of the richest cruising grounds you could imagine. . .
Old 07-10-2012, 15:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
On the contrary -- if the weather does not serve for a Channel crossing, there are a multitude of destinations along the coast, which might be reasonable in a gale which you would not want to tackle cross-Channel.

In the Solent -- Cowes, Beaulieu, Yarmouth, Portsmouth. To the West -- Poole, Studland Bay, Worbarrow Cove, Weymouth, Portland -- further West, across Lyme Bay -- Dartmouth, Salcombe . . .

One of the richest cruising grounds you could imagine. . .
Thanks for the good news! At least I won't have to stay on shore
Old 07-10-2012, 17:06   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
What winter month is best for sailing Channel?
Some good advice already The main problem with only having a short timescale to complete a trip from the UK to the CI is not so much the weather window going out (if it is *****, yer don't leave!) - but the weather coming back, where you don't have so much option to pick and choose the weather.

In Winter down here you can have very nice days, but overall it is pretty much potluck and IMO not consistent enough to plan around a return trip, especially not a short time scale one. Well, not for some degree of pleasantness - both ways .

FWIW, at the moment it is seriously p#ssing down with rain - and blowing a hooley!, and whilst not sub zero is getting cold . This afternoon was nice though .

What about a crack at Cherbourg?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:23   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Good suggestion DOJ, yes OP if you want a crossing try Cherbourg, no real complications. All weather entrance , not a bad place either

Dave
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Thanks for the good news! At least I won't have to stay on shore
The other advantage of the Solent is that most of the harbours are in an easy day sail from each other so you can be tucked up in a sheltered marina even with the short daylight hours. This gives you the opportunity to see a different harbour each evening.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's a good idea about Cherbourg!

It's closer -- 60 miles from the Needles -- and you can get in and out of Cherbourg literally in any weather, even a hurrycame . In case you get caught out (which you shouldn't if you pay attention to the forecasts, but just in case).

It's probably not as interesting as Jersey or Guernsey, but I like it very much -- there's plenty to do there for a couple of days for sure.

The other thing about Cherbourg is that the tidal planning is much easier -- you don't have the Alderny Race to consider, the only tides go back and forth. That means you can leave any time you want -- going to Jersey or Guernsey you have to time it to hit the Alderney Race at slack water (or go the long way around the Casquettes). Cherbourg can also be entered at any state of tide, unlike any of the harbours in the CI's.

Another, slightly more ambitious but greatly rewarding variant is St. Vaast, around the Eastern side of the Cotenin Peninsula from Cherbourg, near the D-Day beaches. This is more beautiful and more charming the C-bourg, but a bit further, and with a locked port which you may have to wait to enter. France's oyster capital! So you can chow down on the finest Norman oysters with a little vin blanc, just cables from where they grow! And in season, too.

In any case, you have an extraordinarily rich variety of destinations within a day's sail of the Solent, so you really can't go wrong. If the weather is really bad you can just stay in the Solent and still have a great time.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another word about tidal planning:

If you do end up going to Jersey or Guernsey, you have two things to overcome -- the Alderny Race, a vicious patch of water which should be transitted only at slack water and in reasonably calm weather (in other conditions it swallows whole container ships whole, beware!).

And the Channel Islands ports, which are all tide limited. If there is no South in the wind, you do, however, have a good anchorage, next to St. Heliers -- St. Aubin's Bay. I was there this summer and didn't actually go into St. Heliers at all it was so nice. St. Peter Port has Havalet Bay -- if there is no East in the wind. Small but nice and right under the walls of the castle. You can anchor in any of these places at any state of tide.

If the weather turns sour, however, the Channel Islands are a nightmare. Strong tidal streams all through the islands can create terrifying and really dangerous sea states in a gale with wind against tide, and these are rock-strewn waters with very little shelter anywhere. Be damned sure about the weather before setting out down there.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48   #14

Thanks everybody for your help!
And also I have found:
English Channel Weather Statistics
Old 08-10-2012, 02:55   #15

As said above, weather conditions can change quickly in the english channel. For further information see:

http://marine.meteoconsult.fr/meteo-marine/prevision_meteo_large.php
(a login may be necessary)
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&TIME=0&MN=gfs&CEL=C&SI=mph &MENU=0&MEER=kana&MODELLTYP=uv10
or
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&TIME=0&MN=gfs&CEL=C&SI=mph &MENU=0&LANG=en&WIND=g012&MODELLTYP=uv10

http://xcweather.co.uk/FR/observations

http://www.jerseymet.gov.je/ (then, see "forecasts")

you also could download and use "Zygrib"

http://www.zygrib.org/

And don't miss to take care about tidal streams, powerful in this area. If you're using Open CPN, you can download harmonic files for Europe there:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzWFudy66pnEaGUzaG9JakxRbEU/edit?pli=1

Just replace the original files in TC Data folder, in Open CPN folder

Pupuce, St Malo
pupuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
english, sailing