Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 22:57   #16

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: engine stop button does not work !!!!

Here is a link to another thread covering that topic - albeit on a different engine - from a while back. You can try some of the suggestions here.

I had a manual pull switch installed on my engine to replace the solenoid when it stopped working.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-192004.html
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 04:00   #17

Boat: in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
OK, You say it is not working. Can you hear the stop solenoid when you press the stop button? On my Beta 50 you can activate the stop button even if the engine is not running.

If you can't hear the solenoid pull in it is either the solenoid itself, the stop button or the wiring.

You can do the diagnosis without the engine running. With a simple multimeter start at the wires to the solenoid on the engine. Check for voltage with someone pushing the stop button and work from there. Alternatively, you can try to power the solenoid with 12 volts directly to test it. There are push together type connectors right at the solenoid.

Yup! Power on the KEY, don't start the engine and try this. My money is on something simple, so also pull the panel and make sure the wires are all still connected and not broken. Start with the easiest route, eliminating those items first. Your engine starts and runs you say, so half the battle is won.
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 14:55   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

The solenoid stops working and the engine keeps running? How can that be? The solenois ALLOWS the engine to run. The default is OFF. If the solenoid was faulty--the engine would not start. That is how it is on all of the engines I have worked on that do not have a manual "pull to cut the fuel supply" where the default is ON.

For what it is worth I much prefer the older system with a manual pull to kill. The more electrics, the more to go wrong.

There are TWO windings on those solenoids. One will burn out if it is lefty connected--it is just to engage the pump. The other winding draws far less power--all that is needed to HOLD the fuel switch on.

So0--if your engine runs--your solenoid is probably OK. Most likely contact is a disconnection in the short-out switch, or disconnect button, which=ever way your engine is wired. Once solenoid id=s disconnected or rendered inoperable, spring pulls pump OFF.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 12:03   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
The solenoid stops working and the engine keeps running? How can that be? The solenois ALLOWS the engine to run. The default is OFF. If the solenoid was faulty--the engine would not start. That is how it is on all of the engines I have worked on that do not have a manual "pull to cut the fuel supply" where the default is ON.

For what it is worth I much prefer the older system with a manual pull to kill. The more electrics, the more to go wrong.

There are TWO windings on those solenoids. One will burn out if it is lefty connected--it is just to engage the pump. The other winding draws far less power--all that is needed to HOLD the fuel switch on.

So0--if your engine runs--your solenoid is probably OK. Most likely contact is a disconnection in the short-out switch, or disconnect button, which=ever way your engine is wired. Once solenoid id=s disconnected or rendered inoperable, spring pulls pump OFF.

Mike, I do not know what engine you are familiar with. No marine engine that I am familiar with requires a powered solenoid to operate. Just the opposite. Activating the solenoid, or a pull cable in it's place cuts the fuel off, therefore stopping the engine.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine