Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 15:04   #1

Embarking On A New Journey

So i spent two years in Key West and then came out west, while i wasi n key west i learned lots about the freedom to be in the water and on it all the time, i got to pilot and ride on many watercraft of all different sizes,

Long story short i am planning on going back to key west (im currently above san francisco) and thinking of doing a sail back to key west, which would mean a pacific atlantic transit by the way of the carribean and the gulf of mexico, as this is just an opening post i just wanted to introduce myself to the community

A little about me

Im a 36 year old technology company owner, i also have a 30% ownership in a thriving adult entertainment company, so i am looking to buy a boat somewhere on the coast of california and then make for the central american coast,

I have trained in outward bound when i was younger and have plenty of water experience but have never "owned" my own boat before, Im looking for something in the 22-30 ft range and probably would go alone but might take one crew member to help with watches,

I am a highly trained individual with survival experience and military training, I am also trained in all types of rescue and ocean rescue, i have maine guide certifications, an a whole hosto f other things to contribute, plus im a super fast learner, i also have lifeguard training and have a respect for the ocean and her power

My plan is to brush up on skills, outline a boat , buy the boat, make it seaworthy, and provision it, I plan on making the transit starting in July in the hopes ill make it into the gulf of mexico before hurricane season comes back to the area.

Once i make it to key west ill most likely sell the boat for a bigger one for a liveaboard or go ashore for awhile

I hope i am welcome here and value all sorts of positive input, an undertaking like this will include many questions along the way!

BTW while not over sea i have taken many cross country journeys, i once traveled from Fort Kent Maine To Key West Florida, on a little scooter, quite the adventure!

All aboard for a crazy adventure

Captain Jay
sailingtofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:21   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Embarking On A New Journey

Welcome aboard "Captain Jay".

Well it's a plan (i've read your other thread). Not sure what your ocean rescue training is (coast guard?, Boats US? US Navy?), but I suspect you will need to learn quite a bit about sailing.

As the saying goes "learning to sail is easy - it takes a weekend, learning to sail well takes a lifetime"

If you have no experience, the trip down the west coast of the US/central america, through the ditch and across the carribean to Key west is something like 7-8000 kilometers (roughly 4000 nm). I haven't bothered to measure this on a map)

Figuring an average speed for a small boat at say 5 knots (fast for an <30 foot loaded to the gunwales with food, water and spares) - that leaves you 800 hours sailing non-stop (in a straight line - can't be done). Assuming you accomplish that, 800 hours is 32 days, plus a week or two waiting to get through the ditch. So figure 45 days (can't be done).

A much more realistic timetable is 6 months (still hurrying like hell), whihc puts you in key west at christmas (if you leave in july)

Great to have a plan - but perhaps you need to be a bit more realistic in this endeavor.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:37   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I think if you can assure us that at least some "adult" videos were going to be shot on the vessel, you won't have any problems finding competent help from the sailing community.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:06   #4

Boat: O'day 27

I'm not sure if you have decided on a model of boat yet but in your size range id recommend a contessa 26 or a albin vega 28, both well proven, small, seaworthy ocean cruisers. Have fun!
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 12:13   #5

I did want to drop by and thank everyone for the support, After much review and even further considerations factoring in all areas of this journey i have changed my sights.

I would love to go on this trip and i have every confidence in my survival and tenacity as well as the unique skillset i have harnessed over the years to make it without issues, and what a journey it would have been

I figure what better way to learn about the real boating then to build one with my bare hands, so i am hanging this project up for a year to raise 100k from funds that i have in my company alotted for certain things.

After such time i will journey overland to florida where i will build a houseboat from a blueprint i am now constructing, then spend some time on the water with it, before selling it or just buying another boat to accompany it!

I am excited by the change of direction and know that in florida i will find a sailboat at anytime i wish, there are many there,

For all you cruisers out there keep cruising!
Old 16-04-2014, 14:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I think if you can assure us that at least some "adult" videos were going to be shot on the vessel,
been there done that, filmed a movie in the florida keys on a abandoned island and aboard a awesome sailboat, i still have visions of the girls grabbing the mast with their long fingernailed hands lol