Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 19:47   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Electric fence....

Hi all. I am thinking of getting a solar electric fence kit and installing it with the leads connected to the lifelines of my Irwin 30. What issues could I possibly have with this set up. Other option is to run a separate wire around the perimeter of the boat for this but I don't want it ugly just secure. Something along these lines: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDQyMg==/z/kOwAAOSwfcVUAGe2/$_1.JPG
Any thoughts...has anyone done this before?
Thanks for all your help...you all are great!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 19:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Electric fence....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hi all. I am thinking of getting a solar electric fence kit and installing it with the leads connected to the lifelines of my Irwin 30. What issues could I possibly have with this set up. Other option is to run a separate wire around the perimeter of the boat for this but I don't want it ugly just secure. Something along these lines: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDQyMg==/z/kOwAAOSwfcVUAGe2/$_1.JPG
Any thoughts...has anyone done this before?
Thanks for all your help...you all are great!
I think it would really depend on wether you are trying to keep the cattle in the boat or out of the boat
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 19:56   #3

HA HA...Actually trying to keep the animals at bay...no pun...Keep the jokes cummin
Old 29-03-2015, 20:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Let's see... A hot, electrified, uncoated, DC wire. NA you shouldn't have any problems with massive electrolysis.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 20:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

While I am sensitive to the desire for some sailors to feel more secure on their boats, I do think the "electrified lifelines" idea is not good.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 20:54   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

It'll be great until one night, after a few beers, you decide to take a leak over the side.....
Old 30-03-2015, 04:42   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Been discussed here before so you should be able to find the thread.

My opinion: If a fiberglass boat then wont work. To zap someone you need a path to ground. Unless they are standing in a soggy old wooden boat or metal boat when they grab your lifelines it wont work. Have not field tested this theory so hook it up and let us know. ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 05:06   #8

Grew up in Nebraska. Lived on a ranch. Lots of experience with electric fences for livestock. This is not going to stop a determined thief. Slow him down a little. I suppose you might hope that he would yell out when first zapped by it, and alert you in the process. Of course, motion detectors would accomplish the same thing without the risk of zapping yourself or the local guardia when they come to visit your boat.

I just don't see it being worth the problems.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 07:00   #9

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Typically an electric fence controller maintains some voltage potential between the fence and the ground. When an animal that is grounded contacts the fence, they complete the circuit and *zap*. If you've had experience with electric fences then you know that if a vine grows up the post and contacts the fence that it is no longer able to maintain that potential and the fence stops working.

Between what two points/things are you trying to maintain potential? I suspect it would be a challenge to keep lifelines electrically isolated from the hull. Most boats take steps to try to keep the hull, and particularly any metal parts on it, electrically bonded to one another and at the same potential as the sea outside.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 07:21   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Typically an electric fence controller maintains some voltage potential between the fence and the ground. When an animal that is grounded contacts the fence, they complete the circuit and *zap*...................
Yep. The "victim" would have to have one foot in the water or be in a metal boat for this to work. Then of course, there's the liability issue. If someone contacted your intentionally electrified boat and fell in the water and drowned, you could be in a heap of trouble.

Bottom line is; this is not a good idea.
Old 30-03-2015, 07:29   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

there is one place where a fence might be usefull............

The Swimming Pigs Of The Bahamas
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 07:46   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I'm not a cruiser, so I am not "out there." But if I felt so threatened that I felt the need to put an electrified fence around my home to keep bad people out, I'd move somewhere else. Especially if my home was as mobile as a sailboat.

And as previously mentioned, the potential corrosion problems have got to be enormous.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 07:54   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Grew up in Nebraska. Lived on a ranch. Lots of experience with electric fences for livestock. This is not going to stop a determined thief. Slow him down a little. I suppose you might hope that he would yell out when first zapped by it, and alert you in the process. Of course, motion detectors would accomplish the same thing without the risk of zapping yourself or the local guardia when they come to visit your boat.

I just don't see it being worth the problems.

I tend to agree with this, just too many problems. Legal wise I think it might be about like booby trapping your front door. You would end up in jail paying for the "criminals" pain and suffering. I put criminal in quotation marks as I would say they haven't done anything just by touching your life lines, heck they may be there just to tell you your anchors dragging?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 07:55   #14

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I'm not a cruiser, so I am not "out there." But if I felt so threatened that I felt the need to put an electrified fence around my home to keep bad people out, I'd move somewhere else. Especially if my home was as mobile as a sailboat.

And as previously mentioned, the potential corrosion problems have got to be enormous.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 10:08   #15

Hi, ok...point taken for the grounding part...never really thought this through I guess...as for moving...I cannot move. I own a school here in Mexico and I want to sail! I have to learn to live with my environmental issues...like thieves! On the flip side, it IS beautiful here!
How will a motion sensor work on a floating boat that has motion all the time? Any ideas about a laser beam detection system? I want to have something for when nobody is there...which is not too often...but it only takes one brief moment and BAM...
Thanks

Tags
electric, enc