Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2005, 11:39   #46
Kai Nui

Yea, we have always encouraged and supported inovation here
I just watched Tucker
THere is a certain segment of the US population that would find a bidet appealing, but there is something in our culture that drives us to stick with our own cultural traditions. That does not mean that our way is better, or even that we think it is better, just that it is our way.
Really this is all a moot point, as a bidet in a boat is impractical. Too much water, and too much electricity.
THese are the same reasons that I would have concerns about an electric head on a cruising boat. THe whole idea of system design on a cruising boat is to make those systems as independant as possible, so if one thing fails, it does not disable the other systems. A manual head is not dependant on the electrical system, so even if you were to have a failure in that system, the head would still work. May seem insignificant, but if you have lost the house bank, things are probably going to be pretty stressful, and sanitation is one of those comfort items that could really add to the discomfort if it was not working.
Old 18-12-2005, 14:46   #47

Latin Strikes Back

Alan, I think this was mentioned on the "Chewing the Fat" thread:

Poop deck is from the Latin puppis, meaning "back," or "rear." This term can be applied to the afterdeck of a ship directly, without having any ties to the human anatomy.

It is a cute reference though, and frought with comic images.

Speaking of images, hanging over the "head" of the ship in a chop would provide an opportunity to experience "Nature's bidet."
Old 18-12-2005, 20:42   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Dunno about using too much water Kai Nui. You could recycle Maybe strain it first

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 21:52   #49

Recycle. (LMAO) That' too much information, Alan. (LMAO).

Nature's bidet. I'm sure that if anyone was sticking their arse over the side during a Force 10 or worse storm. They probably would have to be tied down to the railings to keep from being washed overboard.

You wouldn't find me out there during one of those storms. And if it were to be like that. I'd poop over the aft end of the boat!!
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 22:10   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
We have this wee mountain in NZ called Mt Cook. It's our highest peak, and I must say looks damn spectacular. It rises to 12349ft straight fromt he Ocean. So although the rest of the world has mountain that are higher, this one still looks damn good. Anyway's, if you are lucky enough to climb it, on the way up, you get to stay in a small hut. This hut sits way out on a small ridge of snow and ice covered granite. The Toilet is right on the end of this ridge and has nothing around it but share drops of thousands of feet. If nature calls, you have to don full mountain climbing gear, with pick axe and spikes to go. I tell ya, the quite call of nature has to become a deafening roar before you give in and go for some relief.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote