Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 03:57   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Elan 434 Impression

Does anyone have any real world experience regarding the Elan 434 Impression? Particularly regarding build quality relative to other production boats on the market.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:39   #2

Boat: Elan Impression 434
Re: Elan 434 Impression

Some limited experience of other sailboats but have a 434.... no complaints yet happy to take specific questions.
Charliemciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:20   #3

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemciver View Post
Some limited experience of other sailboats but have a 434.... no complaints yet happy to take specific questions.

What year? You crossed an ocean with her?
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:25   #4

2006 build, launched 07. Not crossed an ocean, but would do and hope to someday. Others say they're reasonable boats due to their weight and the stability/righting capability. Usual kind of things for age are needing a bit of TLC, but generally pretty happy.
Old 14-01-2017, 14:25   #5

I do track a few that have... one just crossed Gibraltar down to Tenerife then to Martinique recently.
Old 14-01-2017, 18:26   #6

Boat: Comet 41s

Two have crossed with the ARC and pretty fast. I posted a video on the ARC thread. The Elan have a reputation of being built strongly and their NA is known to design seaworthy boats.

Contrary to other boats they disclose more information, including the stability curve, that is a good one, with a very high downflooding angle and also some details regarding the building that seem to reinforce that reputation of a strong built using modern techniques, namely Vacum infusion on a cored hull with Dyvinacell as core (a good closed cell foam).
They use also kevlar reinforcements at the bow area and mast area.
Yacht, Sail, Boat, Yachts - ELAN YACHTS | Impression 434
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 18:38   #7

Hi guys, since initiating the thread ive purchased another boat ,a Catalina 470.
The 434 was on my short list due to being a little more cruiser oriented than some of the other production boats. As Polux mentioned they seem to have a good quality construction but also better tankage, bilge, traveller not in the cockpit and are reasonably quick, not to mention used they seem to be great value , alot of boat for the dollar.
In the end I purchased in Australia, which was surprising, but I'm very happy with my buy, was able to get a very clean bigger boat that meets most of my needs for the same price (maybe cheaper) than I would have purchased the equivalent year 434, downside its a big sail for me to get to Europe..lol, but I'm on my way shortly.

Cheers Dale.

Old 14-01-2017, 18:53   #8

Boat: Comet 41s

Congratulations!!!
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 20:23   #9

How exciting, wish you all the best.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 20:38   #10

Yes its exciting, don't know what to do with myself with all the extra room...lol. leaving the Gold Coast area approximately middle of March for Darwin from there im of to South Africa. The boats in great condition but im still spending getting it to where I want it, I love the setting the boat up bit, dont like the spending bit.

Old 14-01-2017, 20:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Yes its exciting, don't know what to do with myself with all the extra room...lol. leaving the Gold Coast area approximately middle of March for Darwin from there im of to South Africa. The boats in great condition but im still spending getting it to where I want it, I love the setting the boat up bit, dont like the spending bit.

We cruised with a couple with a new Cat 470 in the South Pacific years ago, they were very happy with the boat. It has done lots of long ocean passages and it was roomy. Good choice and great sailing!
Old 14-01-2017, 20:53   #12

Thanks Robert, it was a boat I hadnt really considered, just hadnt heard much about them. I flew to hong kong to look at one and was very impressed with the layout but also the construction, lead keel, massive fiberglass grid system, glassed in bulkheads,very good tankage etc etc.
I dropped in to home in Australia on the way to Europe and had a look at one here, made a low ball offer and to my surprise it was accepted, so here I am getting ready to go.
It is exciting, as a kid if you had of told me I'd have a yacht like this I would of thought you were crazy! Theres not a day I dont take note of how fortunate I am (humbly).

Old 14-01-2017, 21:16   #13

Well we only go around once so it's great you found a special boat. As far as I know many of the larger Catalina's have made offshore voyages but when the 470 was designed Catalina specifically set it out as their offshore boat with many structural improvements over the standard product at the time. I spent quite a bit of time on the boat having a general look at things and I was quite impressed with the way it was put together. You will, I'm sure have years of enjoyment with your new to you boat. Once again congrats. R