Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 20:29   #136

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
ArtM, instead of just spouting your thoughts, how about some links to your information?
Here is the data on World Population:
File:World population (UN).svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that Europe is showing current depopulation - though it is presently slight.

I ask people this question -- how many women do you know who have had more than 3 children? How many have had 2 or less? How many have had ZERO?

Among educated people I personally know in the US (which is clearly anecdotal, I know), most people know FEW woman with more than 2 children, and MANY with 0-1. I know I've seen data that backs up this idea that educated, industrialized people have fewer children than others.

So depopulation - good for the earth, bad for the paper economy - will it be allowed to accelerate? Or nipped in the bud as the power's that be pull back funding from contraception and educational programs?

You know what, I'm wrong. The bankers will not allow this to happen anytime soon. We will soon see more propaganda promoting larger families among the educated populations.
Old 26-02-2013, 20:32   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
There isn't a wind farm in the world that pays its own way. The Brits in particular are unhappy with the cost.
Do you mean that it takes more energy to operate a wind turbine than it produces?

Or do you mean that the people who control the oil supply and prices are continuing to provide financial pressure to slow the spread of low cost renewable energy sources?
Old 26-02-2013, 20:52   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Well that chart projects into the future but at the present moment the US population is growing by one person every 15 seconds (311,6xx this year) and the world population has grown by an estimated 11,834,xxx. so far this year...not quite 2 months into the year.

The chart shows 6 billion people in 2000 (actually 1999) and we have already surpassed 7 billion. That sure doesn't look like zero growth to me.
Old 26-02-2013, 20:58   #139

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post

Stop.

Fact Theory2: Human record, including ancient civilization such as the Mayan's, may include 1% of the total life of the Earth. How do we know what has or hasn't happened over the other 99%? We can't.

Fact Theory 4: How could it NOT be the sun? We do have enough scientific PROOF that the orbit of an object will eventually deteriorate due to the gravitational forces that put the object in orbit. How is the Earth's orbit not deteriorating? Though the effects of this deterioration isn't something that is seen over the span of a decade, surely, there is a chance that it could be seen over that 1% of the time that we have actually been recording it. While this should be the easy way......we would then know exactly what it was...and we could start taking measures to 'extend' life on earth by studying how to help cool it....or push up our departure for Mars, right? One would think.....hmmmm. (not meaning that our Mars attempts are in relation to this, I believe our Mars attempts are the next step in our evolution.)

Fact Theory 7: Fair is fair on this one. BUT....it would appear those rain forests would go a long way to help keeping us 'out of the red' and into the 'safety zone'. Here is a literal 'forest for the trees' example.

Fact Theory 9: This comes from and 8th or 9th grade text book. Heat will warm the water causing it to evaporate. This will form clouds. Once the clouds have reached critical mass (been a long time since 8th grade...I might be using the wrong term) it will drop the water causing rain. Using this theory, seems flooding would be more dominant that drought in a global warming environment.

LE....this is the exact kind of 'propaganda' that is used in an attempt to get people to do what is right (amazing that we are at the top of the food chain). The Earth is a powerful thing.....probably more powerful than any human will ever be able to wrap our puny little brains around. But if we continue to rape it for financial gain, it will only be able to sustain the abuse but for so long. Everything has a natural cycle. We humans are the 300HP engine strapped to that cycle ...... and there is so much more than 'climate change' on this cycle.

And yes...this forum has covered this topic before....and after this post...HOPEFULLY it will be covered again. There were A LOT of people that agreed with the Nazis, but FORTUNATELY there were many more that didn't! And yeah.....it is the same....on a much bigger scale.
It always amazes me when non-scientists decide that all the scientists out there are a bunch of idiots and haven't thought about, say, the influence of the sun. Good thing the bloggers (or wherever you got the odd idea that the earth's orbit is decaying and causing global warming) thought of it and saved the day!

I see this again and again and it makes no sense to me. Thousands of scientist have been working on this for years! You are not going to out think them.

Specifically, we can measure ancient temperatures accurately back over a hundred thousand years using isotopes in ice cores. And no, the earth isn't getting significantly closer to the sun. It doesn't work that way.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:00   #140

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Well that chart projects into the future but at the present moment the US population is growing by one person every 15 seconds (311,6xx this year) and the world population has grown by an estimated 11,834,xxx. so far this year...not quite 2 months into the year.

The chart shows 6 billion people in 2000 (actually 1999) and we have already surpassed 7 billion. That sure doesn't look like zero growth to me.
Actually, I believe that the birth rate in virtually all western nations is less than replacement and population growth is due only to immigration.

The third world more than makes up for this.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:06   #141

All I have seen is it is costing people more money, it was the new ice age then global warming now climate change, the climate has always been changing.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:08   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
It always amazes me when non-scientists decide that all the scientists out there are a bunch of idiots and haven't thought about, say, the influence of the sun. Good thing the bloggers (or wherever you got the odd idea that the earth's orbit is decaying and causing global warming) thought of it and saved the day!
To back up another poster some pages back - I do know for a fact that "established" science promotes viewpoints that back up their own biased ideas and beliefs.

Conformant research gets funded, non-conformant research does not.

That's not to say that the system does not work - we have created a lot of good usable science over the years - but then, we've also accumulated some bilge-sludge.

Like entropy theory
Old 26-02-2013, 21:26   #143
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I hope to see some effects of global warming. The last Armageddon with the Maya's was one of the worst I've seen and the Rapture was a no-show also except for some lost souls who believed it and gave everything away before realizing it was a scam.

They say the change will be slow until it suddenly comes very rapidly. Icebergs in NYC harbor etc. Well, that's why we're in the tropics and will keep moving south when it gets too hot here. But not to Aussieland where they have 40 days in March!
Old 26-02-2013, 21:29   #144

You know, there's one thing about Earth - if you don't like the weather, just wait about a billion years or so and it will change.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:31   #145

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
The only thing constant is change.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:32   #146

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

There is something going down. Maybe not look so much at the present temps as the present creatures trying to live on the planet. They don't seem to be doing so well.
But we will probably get hit by a comet in 2038 anyways
Old 26-02-2013, 21:37   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
The only thing constant is change.
Not really - it turns out that the rate of change is changing also.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:40   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Posted by cwyckham:
Quote:
Actually, I believe that the birth rate in virtually all western nations is less than replacement and population growth is due only to immigration.
Well, you believe wrong. Why don't you look at the two links that I have posted. The one for the US specifically states where the growth comes from.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:41   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Posted by ArtM;
Quote:
To back up another poster some pages back - I do know for a fact that "established" science promotes viewpoints that back up their own biased ideas and beliefs.
ArtM, do you have a source for that?
Old 26-02-2013, 21:43   #150

Quote:
ArtM, do you have a source for that?
I was quoting you.
Closed Thread