Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 14:53   #91
Registered User
 
Gelfling's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stingray Point, Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Ericson, 28+
Posts: 294
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
A good start would be to speak the truth, stop compromising and wean ourselves from the corporate/government teat. But this will not happen, so what is a minority to do? I'll preach the Gospel, and be thankful for what I have and what I get, whether it seems good at the time or not. As to conservation, one doesn't have to get into bed with the folks that rape the planet while pretending to preserve it, and even have the gall to force us to pay for the rope we're being hanged with. They even want us to like it, and put the noose on ourselves.

Here's some actionable suggestions;

Rip up all the golf courses and plant food. Stop persecuting people growing food in their gardens. Quit the GMO stuff. Quit the ecoscams of solar & wind, and develop cheap and clean nuclear. Buy quality goods that you need, made locally, not cheap luxury junk made in a filthy commie slave labour factory in China. Throw out the DVD and TV and games, and educate yourself.....education is not schooling.

I could go on, but need I?
I concur...with all but the China point. They are really just following the examples of a 'free market' economy, and like every nation that has been there....they are in their 'industrial revolution'. But know....we don't have to 'consume to be human'.

I would add.....EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN! They are the ones that will be left when we sail into the beyond. I am old enough to remember 3 decades ago, I don't need science to show me what is right in front of my face!
__________________

__________________
Gelfling is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:01   #92
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
A good start would be to speak the truth, stop compromising and wean ourselves from the corporate/government teat. But this will not happen, so what is a minority to do? I'll preach the Gospel, and be thankful for what I have and what I get, whether it seems good at the time or not. As to conservation, one doesn't have to get into bed with the folks that rape the planet while pretending to preserve it, and even have the gall to force us to pay for the rope we're being hanged with. They even want us to like it, and put the noose on ourselves.

Here's some actionable suggestions;

Rip up all the golf courses and plant food. Stop persecuting people growing food in their gardens. Quit the GMO stuff. Quit the ecoscams of solar & wind, and develop cheap and clean nuclear. Buy quality goods that you need, made locally, not cheap luxury junk made in a filthy commie slave labour factory in China. Throw out the DVD and TV and games, and educate yourself.....education is not schooling.

I could go on, but need I?
No, actually.

You have an agenda, it's relatively impermeable to facts, and it clearly indicates that there's no sort of collective action that you could get behind.

Sorry to have bothered you.
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:01   #93
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

There is still farming in Greenland. Has been for many many years.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:08   #94
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There is still farming in Greenland. Has been for many many years.
Specifically, the little ice age made it tough going for the Vikings. There is significant evidence to support the decline of the Viking habitation because of the climate change.

History of Greenland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:14   #95
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post

Fact Theory2: Human record, including ancient civilization such as the Mayan's, may include 1% of the total life of the Earth. How do we know what has or hasn't happened over the other 99%? We can't.
Your point? We're pretty sure there wasn't a pre-Mayan industrial age or equivalent build-up of CO2 in recent cycles like we've seen recently. More CO2 = more retained heat, higher ocean acidity.

Quote:
Fact Theory 4: How could it NOT be the sun? We do have enough scientific PROOF that the orbit of an object will eventually deteriorate due to the gravitational forces that put the object in orbit. How is the Earth's orbit not deteriorating?
The deterioration of an orbit is measurable. very measurable. (and orbit deterioration is not 'due to the gravitational forces that put the object in orbit', it's due to anything that slows the orbital speed)

Also. Mr Sun has not produced more output over the period we've been heating up.

Quote:
Fact Theory 7: Fair is fair on this one. BUT....it would appear those rain forests would go a long way to help keeping us 'out of the red' and into the 'safety zone'. Here is a literal 'forest for the trees' example.
We're losing rainforest. next...

Quote:
Fact Theory 9: This comes from and 8th or 9th grade text book. Heat will warm the water causing it to evaporate. This will form clouds. Once the clouds have reached critical mass (been a long time since 8th grade...I might be using the wrong term) it will drop the water causing rain. Using this theory, seems flooding would be more dominant that drought in a global warming environment.
Um, so... what does this do?

Quote:
LE....this is the exact kind of 'propaganda' that is used in an attempt to get people to do what is right
The stuff I posted came with a link, which pointed back to a myriad of sources. Your rebuttal... zero links.

You're free to speculate of course, but that's hardly a water-tight case for taking your unsupported musings over the opinion of a preponderance of specialists.

And -10 for the Nazi reference. See me after class.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:21   #96
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

When I was a boy, milk came in reusable - not recyclable - bottles, bread was wrapped in paper, meat was purchased and wrapped in paper, you packed your groceries into paper bags, few had air conditioning in their homes and if you brought a TV set you expected it to last somewhere between 10 and 20 years and everyone coped just fine. Fast forward to today and milk comes in throwaway plastic, as does bread. You pack your groceries into plastic bags and meat - with its polystyrene, cling wrap and absorbancy pads - almost seems as if it has more volume in the packaging then the product. Most people have air con and it's highly probable that the you will buy 3 or more TV sets in a 10 to 20 year period (not to mention how many mobile phones and computers??). And the one that really gets up my goat is that in the 70's if we wanted a drink of water, we went and found a tap and got one. Nowadays the done thing is to buy a bottle of water produced at a ridiculously much greater expense in resources.

With AGW, the true threats to the human race are being masked. All we hear on the news is how the hurricanes / cyclones / typhoons will be more severe, how the ice is melting yada yada yada, but no-one is saying "hey guys, lets conserve resources, especially since we've now hit 7 000 000 000 world population and counting". I'm guessing the reason why is because there aint no funding to be had using that angle.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:26   #97
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Jimmie Cornell has recently published a new pilot atlas based upon improved data AND incorporating changes in weather patterns due to climate change.

Pilot charts
Weather routing
Jimmie Cornell

Quote:
.
So the aim of the Blue Planet Odyssey is to raise awareness of the effects of climate change especially on the oceans, something that sailors understand better than anyone else. Climate change is a global phenomenon, and therefore the Blue Planet Odyssey must reflect this by being itself a global event, both as far as its routes are concerned and also by having scheduled starts in every continent. There will be a southern route, which will stay mostly within the tropics and call at some of the most endangered island communities in every ocean. We shall also sail a northern route via the Northwest Passage, which after all has only become navigable as a result of climate change.
__________________
hpeer is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:29   #98
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,540
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

slight drift, sort of justified by the fact that the planets atmosphere is made up of the chemicals it is precisely exactly because life made it like that. I think a lot of people don't get that, the atmosphere and temperature of the planet are controlled by life. In that respect humans changing the chemical composition are just as natural as early photosynthesis releasing so much nasty corrosive oxygen into the air.

Anyway, a few on here might enjoy some physics and life ...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Go5T72kd5cXO0t

edit opps, might be blocked, try this...
__________________
conachair is online now  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:29   #99
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Lake Effect, please reconsider your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I do hope this thread gets locked. It's proven troll-material, and the lamest most ignorant comment gets equal billing with the best-supported argument. And, it's got f-all to do with sailing, other than it might get a wee bit more expensive to take to sea in a floating condo.

Die, thread, die.
__________________
hpeer is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:31   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Out there doin' it
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 2,637
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
And ... 97%
You keep repeating 97% - what is the context?
__________________
Lodesman is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:39   #101
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Well, not everyone. Ted and Phil and Bill and all their buddies are doin' fine. Don't get me wrong, we should be better stewards of creation, but also use our God-given brain to THINK, instead of FEEL.
This is obviously peer reviewed position, and obviously you done a lot of THINKing to arrive at it , its unfortunate that nothing you've said shows that

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:40   #102
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Global Warming, Its all tosh !! It's all caused by the sun.. Some days are warmer, cooler, wetter, dryer, sunnier etc, all part of the natural weather cycle....
Of course its tosh, the national enquirer and the Fox News comedy channel have said so.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 15:58   #103
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
When I was a boy, milk came in reusable - not recyclable - bottles, bread was wrapped in paper, meat was purchased and wrapped in paper, you packed your groceries into paper bags, few had air conditioning in their homes and if you brought a TV set you expected it to last somewhere between 10 and 20 years and everyone coped just fine. Fast forward to today and milk comes in throwaway plastic, as does bread. You pack your groceries into plastic bags and meat - with its polystyrene, cling wrap and absorbancy pads - almost seems as if it has more volume in the packaging then the product. Most people have air con and it's highly probable that the you will buy 3 or more TV sets in a 10 to 20 year period (not to mention how many mobile phones and computers??). And the one that really gets up my goat is that in the 70's if we wanted a drink of water, we went and found a tap and got one. Nowadays the done thing is to buy a bottle of water produced at a ridiculously much greater expense in resources.

With AGW, the true threats to the human race are being masked. All we hear on the news is how the hurricanes / cyclones / typhoons will be more severe, how the ice is melting yada yada yada, but no-one is saying "hey guys, lets conserve resources, especially since we've now hit 7 000 000 000 world population and counting". I'm guessing the reason why is because there aint no funding to be had using that angle.
Milk. Food today is cheaper then its ever been , fine you want glass bottles then how about paying $10 a pint. , good luck with that.

Bread. Most good bread today is sold to me without any packaging at all , on fact the bread today is far better then bread 20-30 years ago. Less preservatives less sugar. , I remember when sliced bread lasted a week , why ? THINK

My butcher hands me meat in paper as does my supermarket meat counter. The venison I shoot comes packaged in fur.

I pack my groceries in reusable shopping baskets, there's a tax on plastic bags and few are used these days.

I don't have any air con. ( its -6 C out )

My dads TVs were lucky to last 3-5 years. , today my tv is 10 years old and still working as is every TV I've bought since I started working 35 years ago. Consumer electronics are cheap , so we buy to upgrade, not because they break.

Absolutely conserve resources, but we have an economy to support, we can't all grow potatoes.

Nostalgic, often misplaced and highly rose tinted views of the past are absolutely useless to solving the issues facing us today and tomorrow.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 16:14   #104
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

DOJ Made Climate Change Theory - yer heard it here first

The earth is a big ball of hot metal with a thin crust of rock on top, under which was lots of oil.......as the oil dissapears the crust gets hotter - just like in a car engine with no oil.

The proof? Well, the earth is getting hotter (97% of scientists say so ) .........and in recent years our lords and masters have stolen all our money and spent it having a party rather than saving it for the future - so am pretty sure they know something about the future us peasants don't know. Like there isn't one . The Hot Air Climate Change theory is simply a classic distraction con (hey, look up - not down).

That and the earth is slowly spiralling into the sun - me no scientist, but I figure that not going to end well .

But if you send me enough money I can save you .
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 26-02-2013, 16:15   #105
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Rip up all the golf courses and plant food. Stop persecuting people growing food in their gardens. Quit the GMO stuff. Quit the ecoscams of solar & wind, and develop cheap and clean nuclear. Buy quality goods that you need, made locally, not cheap luxury junk made in a filthy commie slave labour factory in China. Throw out the DVD and TV and games, and educate yourself.....education is not schooling.
Rip up the golf course -sure that going to solve a lot of the problems. , visit say the Algarve area in southern Portugal , home to large numbers of golf courses. , we could return it ( and the Algarve ) to what it was before , poverty stricken farming on subsistence land , that's virtually useless ,

Persecuting people growing vegetables in their gardens. I see loads of such growers, don't know where you are but I buy eggs from the women down the road , my mates grow all sorts of stuff, some sell in at markets, I don't see the storm troppers around though. Maybe you don't live in the land of the free.

GMO, I'm neutral here, but I respect people that want nothing to do with it.


" buy quality goods that you need " , good message for people on the bread line. Constructive thoughtful. ( and Oh so middle class )

"cheap luxury junk made in a filthy commie slave labour factory in China. " actually I think there the best capitalists on the planet. Equally " cheap " and luxury. !!!!! But your right , everybody should be entitled to a BMW.

"Filthy commie slave labour " well they own most of the US and Western Europe. Don't worry the fluent mandarin your grandchildren will speak will straighten out them " commie bastards " by the way you are aware of the rise of the Chinese middle class , looks a lot like every other middle class ( they,re buying loads of BMWs too , just like all the other middle classes ) , damm them commie bastards for being just like us. .

dVD, TVs and games, throw them out , right back to candles, birching and god fearin edu-ma-cation . Just like the .......

Ban schooling too, I mean the Taliban must be right.

Sweet Jesus , is this is the thinking , were all doomed. The only saving grace was that nature designed in a self destruct in all of us, so such ideas thankfully die with the holder.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.