Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 16:16   #286

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

From UK Met Office reported data. Not difficult too comprehend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metoffice.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	55827  
Old 27-02-2013, 16:22   #287

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Reefmagnet,

You need to understand that you have just presented some inconvenient facts.

Don't you realise the rain here in Mackay as I type is climate change or global warming.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:27   #288

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post

Because you're borderline hysterical and project a certainty of calamity which is a little off putting. We hear your dire warning of doom. Now, please describe for us how, if you had the power, the various constraints you would impose on our "western" lifestyle and freedom to consume. Place that in the context of what another poster described as the under consuming per capita in the poorer nations and his complaint of overpopulation in those regions. Be specific as how you would ensure compliance given the looming catastrophe.
Haha.....I see what you did there. Suggesting fascism as the only alternative to fix the problem of mindless rogue drones that have been programmed with the directive to consume or die.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:30   #289

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Reefmagnet,

You need to understand that you have just presented some inconvenient facts.

Don't you realise the rain here in Mackay as I type is climate change or global warming.
Yeah the climate changed from sunny a week ago to rain. And I hear we're above average for the month too. I don't recall being above average last year. Definitely something going on mate!
Old 27-02-2013, 16:32   #290

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Yeah the climate changed from sunny a week ago to rain. And I hear we're above average for the month too. I don't recall being above average last year. Definitely something going on mate!
I hear you.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:35   #291

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
I have conceded the point you coward.
That is way, way out of line.

First, your argument makes no sense at all. You're suggesting that man made global climate change doesn't exist because the solution to it is difficult? How does that make sense? It's a bit like: "I'm being attacked and violated by a gorilla, but I don't know how to make the gorilla stop, so I'll decided that I'm not being violated."

Second, everybody already knows the answer: Reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases. The fact that that is unpopular and politically difficult doesn't mean that there's a problem with the science.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:35   #292

On the plus side......I was out weeding the vegetable garden getting ready to plant the spring vegies......and the perennials are already blooming!

"April showers bring May flowers" ...... that is the last time I listen to the 97%.....bunch of liars!
Old 27-02-2013, 16:46   #293

So, yes, I caught the train with 2 min to spare. As obsessed as I am with this thread, I' wasn't gonna miss dinner either. (Zealots gotta eat too)

Our story so far: Tar34 had granted me a hypothetical concession re the truth of climate scientists' conclusions re global warming. Taking that as given:

IF the public debate is essentially won and we no longer have the snowstorm of corporation-funded BS and unsubstantiated denier claims to continuously wade through;

and

IF the scientific conclusions continue to stand up to genuine scientific skepticism
;

Then - my take on the best case scenario:

• people can actually start thinking about the future, instead of denying the present
  • attention shifts to generating better projections of what changes could actually happen and when, and planning for it
  • it becomes easier to enact sane policy re total energy mix. Buh-bye oil subsidies.
  • conservation gets higher billing going forward - housing and appliance standards, urban planning, mass transit, etc
  • alternative, renewable energy strategies finally get the attention and investment they deserve, with big oil off the teat. These are the growth industries of the future, and we need the better technology ASAP
  • finally gain enough energy independence to stop propping up unsavory regimes (oops, is that too political?)
  • The affluent countries need to lead on the development and implementation of better energy technology so that it can be available ASAP to developing countries, making it possible for them to acheive their growth goals with less reliance on dirty energy
  • In terms of consumption, the affluent countries need to create demand for more sustainable and less toxic imports, and favour countries with better energy policies
... and we go forward from there. No mass starvations, no clutching your AR-15 and munching MREs while shooting looters, no surrendering your plastic boat to the anti-toxin squad.

Vague, isn't it? Sorry, the thing I'm currently obsessed with is getting past the denier BS. Haven't gone beyond that. JFK started something that put a man on the moon. Dare to dream.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:50   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar34
I have conceded the point you coward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Thanks, but I didn't really take it as such; I heard another frustrated debater, which is something I can, er, relate to here.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:51   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
Be sure to come back next year, when after a record hot year Bob re-applies his straight-edge and concedes that yes, there was global warming, after all.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:52   #296

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
Doesn't look like much change in average world temperature over the last 15 years! On a casual glance it seems to indicate that the climatic models are overpredicting!!
Old 27-02-2013, 16:57   #297

Quote:

First, your argument makes no sense at all. You're suggesting that man made global climate change doesn't exist because the solution to it is difficult? How does that make sense? It's a bit like: "I'm being attacked and violated by a gorilla, but I don't know how to make the gorilla stop, so I'll decided that I'm not being violated."

Second, everybody already knows the answer: Reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases. The fact that that is unpopular and politically difficult doesn't mean that there's a problem with the science.
Search his posts on any thread and see if you can find one that isn't `trolling`. I gave up long ago trying to give credit to the words he offers that seek no credibility. Others will do the same.....then he will change his screen name and try again. Then I will say........I foretold you so.
Old 27-02-2013, 17:05   #298

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Vague, isn't it? Sorry, the thing I'm currently obsessed with is getting past the denier BS. Haven't gone beyond that. JFK started something that put a man on the moon. Dare to dream.
You forget the surprising number of people who don't believe we ever went to the moon. It was all a hoax, you see.

Part of the issue is that there are a number of groups who have spent a lot of time trying to show that a particular scientific conclusion is wrong. They have different agendas, but the sum total is a lack of confidence in the scientific process and establishment by the public. This serves the purpose of these groups, but becomes very dangerous when we need to make difficult decisions based on real evidence.

Examples:
  • Smoking isn't really bad for you.
  • Homeopathy / Q rays / TCM / magnets will cure what western medicine says can't be cured (yet)
  • The world was created in six days ten thousand years ago
  • And now, we can puke as much CO2 as we want into the atmosphere and nothing bad will happen.
They all build on eachother until we have a general public who thinks that Joe Blogger is smarter than those idiot scientists, and becaust Joe Blogger's thoughts are more convenient, he must be right.
Old 27-02-2013, 17:59   #299

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Thanks, but I didn't really take it as such; I heard another frustrated debater, which is something I can, er, relate to here.
No, I think you heard someone very small who hides behind a mask with an anonymous profile.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:02   #300

Quote:
  • The world was created in six days ten thousand years ago
SIX thousand years ago, thankyouverymuch.

But yes, you get it. Thanks.
Closed Thread