Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 17:16   #286
Registered User
 
bobsadler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Shenzhen, China
Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Posts: 385
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

From UK Met Office reported data. Not difficult too comprehend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metoffice.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	55827  
__________________

__________________
Bob
SV Karen M
http://www.freewebs.com/svkarenm/
bobsadler is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:22   #287
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Reefmagnet,

You need to understand that you have just presented some inconvenient facts.



Don't you realise the rain here in Mackay as I type is climate change or global warming.
__________________

__________________
downunder is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:27   #288
Registered User
 
Gelfling's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stingray Point, Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Ericson, 28+
Posts: 294
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post

Because you're borderline hysterical and project a certainty of calamity which is a little off putting. We hear your dire warning of doom. Now, please describe for us how, if you had the power, the various constraints you would impose on our "western" lifestyle and freedom to consume. Place that in the context of what another poster described as the under consuming per capita in the poorer nations and his complaint of overpopulation in those regions. Be specific as how you would ensure compliance given the looming catastrophe.
Haha.....I see what you did there. Suggesting fascism as the only alternative to fix the problem of mindless rogue drones that have been programmed with the directive to consume or die.
__________________
Gelfling is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:30   #289
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Reefmagnet,

You need to understand that you have just presented some inconvenient facts.



Don't you realise the rain here in Mackay as I type is climate change or global warming.
Yeah the climate changed from sunny a week ago to rain. And I hear we're above average for the month too. I don't recall being above average last year. Definitely something going on mate!
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:32   #290
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Yeah the climate changed from sunny a week ago to rain. And I hear we're above average for the month too. I don't recall being above average last year. Definitely something going on mate!
I hear you.
__________________
downunder is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:35   #291
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
I have conceded the point you coward.
That is way, way out of line.

First, your argument makes no sense at all. You're suggesting that man made global climate change doesn't exist because the solution to it is difficult? How does that make sense? It's a bit like: "I'm being attacked and violated by a gorilla, but I don't know how to make the gorilla stop, so I'll decided that I'm not being violated."

Second, everybody already knows the answer: Reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases. The fact that that is unpopular and politically difficult doesn't mean that there's a problem with the science.
__________________
cwyckham is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:35   #292
Registered User
 
Gelfling's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stingray Point, Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Ericson, 28+
Posts: 294
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
On the plus side......I was out weeding the vegetable garden getting ready to plant the spring vegies......and the perennials are already blooming!

"April showers bring May flowers" ...... that is the last time I listen to the 97%.....bunch of liars!
__________________
Gelfling is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:46   #293
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

So, yes, I caught the train with 2 min to spare. As obsessed as I am with this thread, I' wasn't gonna miss dinner either. (Zealots gotta eat too)

Our story so far: Tar34 had granted me a hypothetical concession re the truth of climate scientists' conclusions re global warming. Taking that as given:

IF the public debate is essentially won and we no longer have the snowstorm of corporation-funded BS and unsubstantiated denier claims to continuously wade through;

and

IF the scientific conclusions continue to stand up to genuine scientific skepticism
;


Then - my take on the best case scenario:

  • people can actually start thinking about the future, instead of denying the present
  • attention shifts to generating better projections of what changes could actually happen and when, and planning for it
  • it becomes easier to enact sane policy re total energy mix. Buh-bye oil subsidies.
  • conservation gets higher billing going forward - housing and appliance standards, urban planning, mass transit, etc
  • alternative, renewable energy strategies finally get the attention and investment they deserve, with big oil off the teat. These are the growth industries of the future, and we need the better technology ASAP
  • finally gain enough energy independence to stop propping up unsavory regimes (oops, is that too political?)
  • The affluent countries need to lead on the development and implementation of better energy technology so that it can be available ASAP to developing countries, making it possible for them to acheive their growth goals with less reliance on dirty energy
  • In terms of consumption, the affluent countries need to create demand for more sustainable and less toxic imports, and favour countries with better energy policies
... and we go forward from there. No mass starvations, no clutching your AR-15 and munching MREs while shooting looters, no surrendering your plastic boat to the anti-toxin squad.

Vague, isn't it? Sorry, the thing I'm currently obsessed with is getting past the denier BS. Haven't gone beyond that. JFK started something that put a man on the moon. Dare to dream.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:50   #294
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar34
I have conceded the point you coward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
That is way, way out of line.
Thanks, but I didn't really take it as such; I heard another frustrated debater, which is something I can, er, relate to here.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:51   #295
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
From UK Met Office reported data. Not difficult too comprehend.
Be sure to come back next year, when after a record hot year Bob re-applies his straight-edge and concedes that yes, there was global warming, after all.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:52   #296
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
From UK Met Office reported data. Not difficult too comprehend.
Doesn't look like much change in average world temperature over the last 15 years! On a casual glance it seems to indicate that the climatic models are overpredicting!!
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 17:57   #297
Registered User
 
Gelfling's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stingray Point, Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Ericson, 28+
Posts: 294
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

That is way, way out of line.

First, your argument makes no sense at all. You're suggesting that man made global climate change doesn't exist because the solution to it is difficult? How does that make sense? It's a bit like: "I'm being attacked and violated by a gorilla, but I don't know how to make the gorilla stop, so I'll decided that I'm not being violated."

Second, everybody already knows the answer: Reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases. The fact that that is unpopular and politically difficult doesn't mean that there's a problem with the science.
Search his posts on any thread and see if you can find one that isn't `trolling`. I gave up long ago trying to give credit to the words he offers that seek no credibility. Others will do the same.....then he will change his screen name and try again. Then I will say........I foretold you so.
__________________
Gelfling is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 18:05   #298
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...
Vague, isn't it? Sorry, the thing I'm currently obsessed with is getting past the denier BS. Haven't gone beyond that. JFK started something that put a man on the moon. Dare to dream.
You forget the surprising number of people who don't believe we ever went to the moon. It was all a hoax, you see.

Part of the issue is that there are a number of groups who have spent a lot of time trying to show that a particular scientific conclusion is wrong. They have different agendas, but the sum total is a lack of confidence in the scientific process and establishment by the public. This serves the purpose of these groups, but becomes very dangerous when we need to make difficult decisions based on real evidence.

Examples:
  • Smoking isn't really bad for you.
  • Homeopathy / Q rays / TCM / magnets will cure what western medicine says can't be cured (yet)
  • The world was created in six days ten thousand years ago
  • And now, we can puke as much CO2 as we want into the atmosphere and nothing bad will happen.
They all build on eachother until we have a general public who thinks that Joe Blogger is smarter than those idiot scientists, and becaust Joe Blogger's thoughts are more convenient, he must be right.
__________________
cwyckham is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 18:59   #299
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Thanks, but I didn't really take it as such; I heard another frustrated debater, which is something I can, er, relate to here.
No, I think you heard someone very small who hides behind a mask with an anonymous profile.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 27-02-2013, 19:02   #300
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
  • The world was created in six days ten thousand years ago
SIX thousand years ago, thankyouverymuch.


But yes, you get it. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.