Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 26-02-2013, 07:41   #16

Boat: Anderson 22
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
Either way Ive had enough. Im off to the Med for summer 2013.
They say is very very crowded already, better plan an escape route to Black Sea

Old 26-02-2013, 07:58   #17

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

the earth is @4.5 billion years old, according to science. It has endured global warming and cooling a few 100,000 times because of volcanos and extraterrestrial impacts. There have also been axis shifting, and continetal movement because of the earth's crust. Fossilzed sealife found in the arizona deserts. So I dont buy into all this global warming bullcrap, from the tree huggers, caused by human hands.

Old 26-02-2013, 08:01   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I guess I am the only one that feels the heat from pavement, concrete buildings, air conditioning exhaust, Roof tops, engine heat from cars, etc, etc, etc, Multiply this by billions around the world 24 hours a day non stop for years. Concrete and asphalt is warmer than grass or trees.
Many countries are reporting colder winters than usual but they are also getting warmer summers and there is an actual net gain in temp at the end of the year.
It's not just the heat. Weather patterns also change with climate change. The ocean currents that regular the climate by circulating the air masses is slowing down.
To not see that humans are playing a part of this is crazy while the wealthy industrialists are laughing all the way to the bank. Their private joke - The Al Gore Conspiracy - they bought into it - they believe it's just a conspiracy - it worked.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:20   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I usually just ignore this kind of thread. Clearly it's headed for the crapper, but I'm trying to avoid work, so here it goes...

- Lake Superior experienced its warmest summer on record this past summer.
--> This is something I directly experienced. Last summer, where we would normally measure water temperatures ~4 Celsius, we never recorded anything less than 14 Celsius.

- Lakes React Differently to Warmer Climate

- Earth's Lakes Are Warming, NASA Study Finds
--> The summary notes: "Many of the changes in land-surface temperature can be explained by a combination of volcanoes and a proxy for human greenhouse gas emissions. Solar variation does not seem to impact the temperature trend (My bold added for emphasis)." A direct link to the paper.

- Great Lakes ice cover has decreased by 71% in the past 40 years.
--> Decreased ice coverage has found to be the largest cause lowering water levels in the Great Lakes.

- With regard to the comment regarding the cooling of Europe vis vis global warming: Global Warming Could Cool Down Northern Temperatures in Winter

- For those who find research papers a bit dry, here's a presentation that speaks at a more accessible level. It is based on Richard Muller's recent expansive study. And here's a nice summary paper:
--> "Richard Muller, Founder and Scientific Director of Berkeley Earth, notes “Much to my surprise, by far the best match was to the record of atmospheric carbon dioxide, measured from atmospheric samples and air trapped in polar ice.” He emphasizes that the match between the data and the theory doesn’t prove that carbon dioxide is responsible for the warming, but the good fit makes it the strongest contender."

Science is not presented from on high, or from someone's anecdotal ("gut") experience. There is no Absolute Truth in science. Science is a self-correcting process that organizes verifiable facts into coherent models, often called "theories." Everything in science is contingent on these two things. This is why you will rarely hear a scientist affirm anything with absolute certainty. Absolutism is the arena of religion, politics, and people who won't read research papers .
Old 26-02-2013, 08:29   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
Causes aside the UK has had the weirdest weather on record in the last year. In April 2012 the drought of the preceeding 2 years was so severe that a hosepipe ban was put in place. That week it started raining and didnt really stop until December. Wettest year on record... Either something is up with the climate or Mother Nature has a very ironic sense of humour and a grudge against weather men?
Either way Ive had enough. Im off to the Med for summer 2013.
Of course that had nothing to do with an increasing population and no corresponding increase in resevoir capacity and / or the fact that leaking mains water pipes account for some insane levels of wastage (50%?), due to many of them being orginals (water pipes like boats - they don't improve with age with zero maintainence)......whilst the water industry was far from perfect before privatisation, afterwards their is no point in spending cash on either increasing the storing and decreasing the losing of water when the companies can simply up the prices (metered water ) instead.

But to be fair tp the private water companies, would likely take 100 years to get a new reservoir built - nimbyism rules .
Old 26-02-2013, 08:31   #21

Here's a thought:

Regardless whether you believe the cause is anthrogenic, perhaps it is wisest to live as though it is, just in case.... do you really think it's worth the risk, just to maintain a lifestyle choice?
Old 26-02-2013, 08:31   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

What a strange post. Effectively, in answer to a thread asking for annecdotal posts, you have declared yourself above the thread and then delivered a sermon on what science really is...
Old 26-02-2013, 08:33   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
When the cyclones start forming off the coast of Brisbane on a regular basis, I'll start believing the Earth is warming. As an aside, in the early 1980's, the Sydney region had something in the order of 3 months of consecutive wet weekends.
One of the things I have noticed about people's perceptions of weather is simply based on if the "nice" weather falls on a weekend or not.......makes the difference between folks thinking it was a great summer vs a sign of the EOTW . When your work hours (days / weeks / months!) are flexible really makes a change to your climate .

Same for the really p#ss poor weather in the winter.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:40   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Presently in Northeastern British Columbia, Canada. This morning it is -12 C, global warming? Yeah, sure. Bring it.
Old 26-02-2013, 09:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Today in Manitoba it is going to 0c so I guess we have global warming...
Old 26-02-2013, 09:08   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I usually just ignore this kind of thread. Clearly it's headed for the crapper, but I'm trying to avoid work, so here it goes...
That line was great

I didnt read the rest of the post

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 26-02-2013, 09:10   #27

Boat: Sandpiper 565

...Must...not... succumb... to ... troll

quick, someone tie me to the mast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Here's a thought:

Regardless whether you believe the cause is anthrogenic, perhaps it is wisest to live as though it is, just in case.... do you really think it's worth the risk, just to maintain a lifestyle choice?
This.

There's 1001 reasons besides climate change to cut our consumption back and stop sh!tting the nest.

(if y'all don't behave i'll recycle all my "Coral" thread sermons )
Old 26-02-2013, 09:15   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

"There's 1001 reasons besides climate change to cut our consumption back and stop sh!tting the nest."

Hear Hear!!!
Old 26-02-2013, 09:17   #29

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

I think the OP was referring to an anecdotal event, in which a humanitarian rescued many pairs of animals from a large flood using his homebuilt sailboat.

My general view on the global warming issue is that the term is misleading ... yes, the average temperature is rising (and yes, it's very likely indeed that it's a man-made phenomenon) but that says nothing about the particular temperature wherever YOU are at any given time. It's an average. The average male height in North America is about 5'10". Doesn't mean we're all that height.

So call it global climate change, caused by a warming trend. Better term, I think,

My particular view is that Lake Ontario was very low at haul-out last year -- so low we couldn't get all of our boats to the seawall for the crane to pick them up. So far, while the level has rebounded, it remains lower than normal for the spring. It will probably get better in the next few weeks, but I would not be surprised to find it very low again next fall.

I blame that on lower ice levels in the winter (because we are a degree or so warmer overall) and changing precipitation patterns (so there's less snowpack that can melt and raise the water levels).

But big low pressure coming up from the Gulf today, which might help a bit.

Connemara
Old 26-02-2013, 09:26   #30

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Here's a thought:

Good thought! Maybe it would be wise to stop production of resins used to build sailboats just in case! Anyway I think that this type of thinking is foolish at best. What I mean here is the world will starve to death if we stop production of fertilizer and give up high yield farming. How far do you want to take this lifestyle choice stuff?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: