Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-08-2007, 12:13   #16
cruiser

Fascism was defined by mussolioni as an alliance between corporations and government; in otherwords right wing philosophy. Left wingers are the opposite. The comment "Fascist left wingers" is as dense as "hot ice."
Brent

Old 09-08-2007, 14:17   #17

Boat: ketch, 51'
This is a great forum with a wealth of information for the sailing community. It only lacks a bit of cultural sensitivity.
Please browse the information on this site and expand your world view....
www.Culturediversity.org

David Old Jersey, you are quite correct with your first observation, but as for the last part of your post ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
My guess is someone from the US has been pressurising Ecuador (like they tend to do with most countries in that region) to "do more" to restrict the flow of drugs up north (is it still a "War on Drugs"?? ).......so bearing in mind this seems to affect mainly "rich gringos" on holiday IMO their is a certain irony to the action taken - maybe a local with a sense of humour?

Ecuador the new Venezuala? I dunno enough about Ecuador, but IMO they could do worse - could be the New Columbia or Haiti.
They ask about the drug cartels and about Juan Valdez (the icon for Colombian coffee, dressed in typical folk …) they ask me if it is true that there are poppy fields and marijuana plants growing in peoples back yards. With snorting noises they refer to the cocaine trafficking, the kidnappers and paramilitary. Most assume our families toil in the coffee fields and if you are well off, then you must be in the drug cartels.
However, if such criticism, I feel I should do my part to point out the fallacies of the premise(s) that led to the stereotypes. Each country has its own anguish. Each country has its own history and its citizens have to bear these chains. For this reason when they refer disparagingly to Colombia for the “drug traffic ",I begin to speak to them of the 35 million habitants honest and hard working wishing to fulfill a dream of having a free and sovereign homeland. For their natural wealth, if not for the human quality of their people. That there are still gallant men that give serenades and they send flowers to their lovers
. Of the big and famous. I will mention them our Nobel prize in literature Gabriel García Márquez, I also speak to them of the great teachers and philosophers Degreiff, Gentleman, Obregon, Negret, Gordillo, Moralez, Ramírez, Grau And of course, I don't forget about the talented Shakira that has made several disks, something that hundreds of Mexican groups have not been able to do in years: to introduce rock in Spanish.
Then after they hear so many beautiful things, they may forget about the drug dealers and its terrorism, the paramilitary and their slaughters and its fascism. They also ought to be aware that, except for our anatomical and cultural differences, we are human beings. We all live here for the same reasons: jobs, quality of life. We all desire the same things: a safe environment for our families, an opportunity for our children to receive a good education, the ability to provide for our families and ourselves. And to SAIL!!
Thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion.
Fair winds to all members of the sailing culture
Mario:cubalibre

Old 09-08-2007, 15:09   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f
This is a great forum with a wealth of information for the sailing community. It only lacks a bit of cultural sensitivity.
What a pleasure it is to read a calm, rational post from someone who strikes me as a true gentleman and a scholar. I salute you, sir.

TaoJones
Old 09-08-2007, 15:32   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan
Fascist Left Wingers- The next Venezuala
Love him or hate him, the funny irony about Hugo Chavez is that he has been twice elected with 60-70 percent of the vote. In that reguard he has more political legitimacy than our own "Commander Guy" as he recently refered to himself.

As far as Ecuador, vote with your pocketbook and don't go there and spend any money. They may get the message if enough people are upset about onerous regulations and high fees. Other than the Galapagos do that many cruiser go to Ecuador? They have been making it difficult and expensive to visit the islands for many years so what really has changed?

Nice one, Brent.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 16:38   #20

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Sail Far, Live Free

Ok, enough politics already. One reason to sail far away is to get away from politics. You can run but you can't hide though, sigh.

Keegan
Old 09-08-2007, 16:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Many countries, in fact, most all countries require some sort of sail plan and will ask questions if the plan has been deviated from. NZ included. The difference is, most vessels leaving NZ are monitored visualy. Because it is visualy monitored, not all can be tracked. So some slip away unnoticed. With the problem Ecuador has, monitoring electronicaly solves that issue.
What electronic monitoring exists that can solve that issue? Many yachts give such a poor radar image that we pay extra for devices that make the radar reflection stronger.

Quote:
Will people want to pay the fee's? well I guess it is going to stop some from calling in to those ports, but maybe it's the only way to help reduce Drug running.
It is unclear to me how this policy would reduce drug running.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:26   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well in NZ, it is native animal smuggling. But whatever, the problem arrises by a boat being cleared to leave by customs. The vessel sails off and then turns back to some remote part of land and picks up a "package" and hopefully heads back out undetected. We get drugs brought in the same way. Marlborough is natoriouse for this. It is a miriad of winding waterways. A boat from overseas can sneak in, drop of a package and then go off to a port to clear customs. They then travel back to the place they first stopped at and pick the package back up again. With animal smuggling, they simply call into some remote Island or land area and catch a native species. They are worth as much as drugs.
But sorry, I miss read the original post. I thought boats where being fitted with something. I now see it is a computor entry. Hmmm, not sure that woudl do much.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23   #23

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
With governments facing funding problems, why not charge those individuals using a particular service. This is a discussion some people in Florida are having. I think another thread might be what various fees countries charge. I would love to visit Cuba. I do not agree with the politics but I still would like to visit. I am one that has a hard time justifying paying jusst to enter a country.

John
Old 10-08-2007, 10:17   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan
Sail Far, Live Free
Ok, enough politics already. One reason to sail far away is to get away from politics. You can run but you can't hide though, sigh.
Keegan
Why is there such an anti politcal sentiment on this board? It drives me crazy that it is taboo to talk about this stuff. I am sorry to use your post, Keegan, but it just mirrors the sentiment of many other people on this forum.

It's like you said, the reason many of us sail is to get away from politics, or more specifically the political climate of today. With the two so closely related they should be talked about in concert. I feel like the discussion on this forum corralled (not by the moderators, but the actual members of the forum) into talking about half of the reason to sail. Let's have it out.
Old 10-08-2007, 13:38   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We aren't going there chaps. This is not an "American Only" board. Please leave US politics out of it. Sorry but we have to, or a flood gate opens that we can't control. If you want to argue politics, I can direct you to another sailing BB that has gone that way, where you may feel right at home.

Old 10-08-2007, 14:09   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

" I am one that has a hard time justifying paying jusst to enter a country."
Oh. Scallywag! And if yo don't pay to ENTER that country, just who is supposed to provide the stamp and ink pad with which to stamp your passport when you do enter? Certainly not the locals themselves?!

The first time I crossed into France, the customs man refused to stamp my passport. Finally he went back into his little booth and pulled the windows and shades down. I sometimes wonder, perhaps he simply was embarrassed because his country was too poor to provide him with a stamp pad and some ink?
Old 10-08-2007, 14:27   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

France too poor?? I doubt it.
Anyways, We all have to pay somewhere some time. Even a tourist arriving by air has to pay. But it is usually on departure and is called a depature tax. The arrival tax is usually hidden in the cost of the ticket. If I was to visit the US, it will cost me close to a couple of thousand just to arrange my Visa. So no country is without blame as to costs. Don't be fooled, it is done everywhere in some way shape or form.

Old 10-08-2007, 14:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
We aren't going there chaps. This is not an "American Only" board. Please leave US politics out of it. .
Cool. Actually my preference. There is plenty of US politics on CNN which is piped around the world ad nauseam.

I did not start liking this site because it was a great place to vent political views. Doubt many others did either.

So, with that being said, WHO LIKES BEER???:cubalibre

Keegan
Old 10-08-2007, 14:35   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wheels?
" If I was to visit the US, it will cost me close to a couple of thousand just to arrange my Visa."
What's so special about you?? Kiwis usually are allowed into the US for next to nothing how come you get special treatment? Formerly employed by the Soviet Secret Police? Bastard son of Karl Marx via a Romanoff niece? There's got to be a tale behind this one.
Old 10-08-2007, 23:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
As cruisers, every move we make is directly or indirectly affected by politics ,

I moved the boat the other day but no politicians were any where to be seen....

K

Tags
Ecuador

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: